TaylorMade RSi 1 Irons Review Thread

I had a set of RSi 1 that I loved, but after about a month of use or so, the slot on the toe was coming out and breaking in pieces on my 5 and 7 irons.
Taylormade is replacing the whole set but check your clubs. I noticed because the ball shot in a very strange direction on a 7 iron shot, I looked at the face and understood. I probably hit the slot on that shot.
I don't have pictures as i needed clubs to finish the round and pushed back the face slot insert in with a ball.

has this happened to anyone else?
There have been a few that it has happened to, I check mine after every round and so far, so good.

I picked up a factory new set from ebay. They got in last week. After 2 range sessions and one full round I noticed a chip in the slot on my 5. Will be calling TM tomorrow morning.

nz9wGhGl.jpg
[/IMG]

WVwO547l.jpg
[/IMG]

So having put these through a couple rounds in the past two week, I can add my input. I am gaming 5-AW and have used every club so far. I don't notice the slots at address, nor does the chrome bother me. The balance in the club throughout feels great and not bottom heavy like my Baffler XL's. I was initially worried about dropping the hybrid for the 5 iron, but I have come away very pleased. The club hits very smoothly. I have lost some distance, which is expected from hybrid to iron, but nothing where I need to fix gap issues. About the forgiveness of these, wow. I hit my 7 iron right on the heel, 1/2" closer and it would have been a shank. The ball got airborne and had a slight left hook. I went to see where I had hit the ball on my iron and saw the fresh grass mark on the heel, needless to say I was impressed. I thought I was going to have issues with the muscle back AW, but none at all.
All in all, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase and will look forward to next weekend when I can put them in play again.

I posted in the marketplace section that I am selling a 3 and 4 iron if anyone is interested.

I was absolutely killing these today with the C-Taper 90s. I get more comfortable with them every round. I'm hitting the 6 iron so well that I am going to ditch the 5 hybrid I'm carrying right now and pick up the 5 iron with the C-Taper 90 as well.

just got fitted for a set of RSi 1 irons , getting 7-AW. I like my Berthas, but are a bit chunky for my taste and I wanted something with a bit of forgiveness with a sleaker look.

I found the 6 iron so easy to hit that I ordered the 4 and 5 irons today. C-Taper 90s, of course.

I picked up a factory new set from ebay. They got in last week. After 2 range sessions and one full round I noticed a chip in the slot on my 5. Will be calling TM tomorrow morning.

Just got off the phone with TM customer service. Shipping me a new 5i no questions asked. I'd say that's pretty great service.

Just got off the phone with TM customer service. Shipping me a new 5i no questions asked. I'd say that's pretty great service.

can't complain about that right? Good to hear

Well I can join you guys in this thread now. Went to golfsmith yesterday and hit a lot of irons, and these were giving me the best results. Would love to get a fitting out on a range on grass but no where close to me would do that. But got 5-pw, -1*flat and 1/2 flat. Never knew i was 1/2' short with my irons after my fitting last year for the morgan cup just got regular length. But anyways ordered the custom RSi1's and now just waiting. Anyone have any idea about how long custom irons take to get from Taylormade? I'm going to Florida the first week of May and would love to have these.

Well I can join you guys in this thread now. Went to golfsmith yesterday and hit a lot of irons, and these were giving me the best results. Would love to get a fitting out on a range on grass but no where close to me would do that. But got 5-pw, -1*flat and 1/2 flat. Never knew i was 1/2' short with my irons after my fitting last year for the morgan cup just got regular length. But anyways ordered the custom RSi1's and now just waiting. Anyone have any idea about how long custom irons take to get from Taylormade? I'm going to Florida the first week of May and would love to have these.
Mine took about 10 days to ship. They used to be really fast at shipping but I've been waiting a week for my 4 and 5 irons so far with no shipping notification yet.

What shafts did you go with?

He changed the shafts in them i think 3-5 times and ended up seeing the best numbers with the standard shaft Regular shaft.
Mine took about 10 days to ship. They used to be really fast at shipping but I've been waiting a week for my 4 and 5 irons so far with no shipping notification yet.

What shafts did you go with?

He changed the shafts in them i think 3-5 times and ended up seeing the best numbers with the standard shaft Regular shaft.
That's always nice. The stock shafts were hook monsters for me so I was fitted into the C-Taper 90s from the SLDR in regular flex, 1" short.

Yeah my stiffs in my 545's were a little to much for me and they weren't as forgiving as my cobra amps. But the amps were used when I got them and they were just about used up after having to epoxy the heads back on 3 clubs. Wanted a good forgiving club that would fit me great and last me a long time. Looking forward to getting these guys and seeing how they perform for me. I am just hoping i don't have to much distance gap between my pw and my 48* cleveland wedge.
That's always nice. The stock shafts were hook monsters for me so I was fitted into the C-Taper 90s from the SLDR in regular flex, 1" short.

I wouldn't think it would be that bad. The RSI1 AW is 49.5* and it's a blade style wedge.

Yeah, guess there's only one way to find out. Cool thing I found out yesterday I told him I hit a lot of toe shots and he told me since I was 1*flat that should help me hit them more solid and not hit the heel to much in the ground. Only negative thing I see is about the slots on the toe breaking for some folks. Hopefully my toe shots won't do that.
I wouldn't think it would be that bad. The RSI1 AW is 49.5* and it's a blade style wedge.

Yeah, guess there's only one way to find out. Cool thing I found out yesterday I told him I hit a lot of toe shots and he told me since I was 1*flat that should help me hit them more solid and not hit the heel to much in the ground. Only negative thing I see is about the slots on the toe breaking for some folks. Hopefully my toe shots won't do that.
I've been wearing the toe out lately and haven't had an issue yet..... knocking on wood.

That's good to hear man. Did you end up with the stock grips on them or did you have them changed.
I've been wearing the toe out lately and haven't had an issue yet..... knocking on wood.

I changed them out as soon as they got here. I'm not a tour velvet fan at all. Went with the CP2 Wraps because I got a deal on them, but I think I'm going to end up with Iomics on them here shortly.

Yea I didn't mind the stock to much but I got UTx grips here at home I might toss on if I don't like them. I'll give them some rounds in just how they came and see if I need any tweaks.
I changed them out as soon as they got here. I'm not a tour velvet fan at all. Went with the CP2 Wraps because I got a deal on them, but I think I'm going to end up with Iomics on them here shortly.

From what I've read, they've been replacing them.

This seems like a recurring issue though. I'd be really hesitant to spend the cash on a new set.

Besides cosmetic and the plastic piece breaking, does it have a real effect on your ball flight, distance or contact?

This seems like a recurring issue though. I'd be really hesitant to spend the cash on a new set.

Probably not. I just look at a new set of irons and expect them not to chip away I guess? Small stuff in the big picture I guess, but it would still bother me.

It's a shame too because when I hit these they were very solid irons. Purchase worthy if not for the slots falling off.

Probably not. I just look at a new set of irons and expect them not to chip away I guess? Small stuff in the big picture I guess, but it would still bother me.
That's what I was thinking, but yea you expect a new iron to not break like that. Guess they didn't have enough mishits out on the toe during the testing.

Back