capt.dru

Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie, I am having problems with casting the club. What are some drills I can work on to create more lag? I will try to get a video up next week. Thanks.

Something my pro is trying to get me to work on at the moment as well..............and it's not going too well!

Swing the handle of the club. Place a tee in the but of the club. This tee should be pointed at the ball on the down swing. The longer you can make this happen the more angel you will have into the ball and less casting.

Another good drill is to drive the knuckles of your left hand into the ground. Of course this can't happen but the feeling is really what you are looking for. This will give a driving angle into the ball. You will see you launch increase and your distance increase as well.
Freddie, I am having problems with casting the club. What are some drills I can work on to create more lag? I will try to get a video up next week. Thanks.

If I don't get to my left side on the downswing, I will tend to cast. If I can get my sternum in front of the ball prior to impact, I will just naturally maintain the angle between my shaft and forearm much better.

Thanks Freddie! I will try those drills out.

I've made a single digit golf game out of casting. Come on Dru. Accept the dark side!

Tap Talking my way thru the world of golf!

I've made a single digit golf game out of casting. Come on Dru. Accept the dark side!

That's funny! The only reason i asked for some drills is because I hurt my wrist by casting. Dont want to hurt my wrists anymore.

I can understand. Have had a lot of tennis elbow issues for awhile now.

If your sternum is in front of the ball at impact, I hope your hitting a trap drawing and staying down.
If I don't get to my left side on the downswing, I will tend to cast. If I can get my sternum in front of the ball prior to impact, I will just naturally maintain the angle between my shaft and forearm much better.

If your sternum is in front of the ball at impact, I hope your hitting a trap drawing and staying down.

I would be interested to see where my sternum truly is at impact through the bag. A trap draw is definitely the best feeling shot that I can play, and I do intentionally hit trap draws with my wedges. I play all other irons with a slight fade, but I do want to approach the ball with the shaft leaning forward, and I do want my divots out in front of the ball.

For all of my iron swings, I try to make a slight lateral move before turning into the downswing. To me, I feel like I move my sternum very slightly, along with my hips,to where it's positioned right at the front of the ball. It's hard to explain, but as I'm nearing the completion of my backswing, I try to feel that my hips move laterally while they are still turned away from the ball - here I imagine that my butt is resting against a chalk board with a chalk mark at the center of my butt to start the swing, and then I erase that mark with my right butt-cheek before initiating my downswing. At the same time, I feel like my sternum moves slightly toward the target as well during this move (i.e. I don't leave my upper body all the way back while my lower body makes the lateral move left).

If you'll look at Ernie Els in the face-on position, his lateral move (right about the 0:34 second mark) is most like what I'm trying to accomplish. At the top, everything moves left before turning, and this is what I'm trying to do when I move into my left side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=322VsPIlnIo

My sternum may not actually be in front of the ball at impact, but that's the feeling I try to get.

Swing the handle of the club. Place a tee in the but of the club. This tee should be pointed at the ball on the down swing. The longer you can make this happen the more angel you will have into the ball and less casting.

Another good drill is to drive the knuckles of your left hand into the ground. Of course this can't happen but the feeling is really what you are looking for. This will give a driving angle into the ball. You will see you launch increase and your distance increase as well.

Driving the knuckles into the ground has been a drill that I have been trying to perfect. I have some sucess with shorter clubs but struggle with long irons and woods with this drill. Is there a specific time in my swing that this drill is easier to achieve?

Back