The end of an era....

Even as a Sox fan, I have a lot of respect for Jeter. Going to be very odd not seeing him in their lineup next season.

It's going to be a while before the Yankees get their next big star and their next ring. The farm system is dried up and a lot of the current future super stars are already locked up. I was too young to remember the lull the Yankees went though in the 80's before they became the powerhouse in the mid 90's.

Growing up in the late nineties and watching the Yankeees was surreal. I am lucky enough to watch Jeter play in both old and new Yankee stadium, witness the greatness of the core four as well as the 2009 World Series.

Always the storybook ending. A Jeter walkoff hit last night could not have been planned any better. Bob Sheppards voice heard for the last time calling him to bat; there's no doubt that there is something special about the Yankees and the place they call home. It is up to you, New York, New York.

I was very lucky when with the NYPD to have worked the dugout during the stadium detail. I had the visiting team twice (both times the Rays, boo!) and the Yankees once.

Working the visiting dugout was actually cooler as you sat in it with the players. Whereas you were relegated to sit outside the dugout with the press when working the Yankees side (in the old stadium, at least).

Still, being that close to players was really cool. During my sole assignment on the Yanks' side, my only job was to stand on the field facing the crowd in-between innings. At the end of one inning, Jeter paused to ask me if I needed anything, a drink or something. For the rest of the game, he'd motion asking the same. Sure it's a small thing but I greatly appreciated the gesture and that he continued.

I was also working the field for the game in July '04 when he torpedoed himself into the stands for a foul ball vs Boston. I was in the Yankees bullpen at the time, right at the left field wall. Although not exactly close, I can't tell you how cool it was to view it at field level.

The walk off hit last night couldn't have been scripted any better and it was very cool to see. With that said, there's a little bit in the back of my head saying, Markakis didn't come up firing at home like you would think he could have. He hesitated just a little and then unloaded. Maybe I'm looking into to much, but it should have been a scoop and throw, not a scoop, half step and then throw. My guess is, he knew me screwed up when he interrupted Jeter's final "Role Call", plus...let's be honest...The Orioles had already locked up the Division AND home field advantage in the ALDS, so they didn't HAVE to win the game...and they all knew that.

I was very lucky when with the NYPD to have worked the dugout during the stadium detail. I had the visiting team twice (both times the Rays, boo!) and the Yankees once.

Working the visiting dugout was actually cooler as you sat in it with the players. Whereas you were relegated to sit outside the dugout with the press when working the Yankees side (in the old stadium, at least).

Still, being that close to players was really cool. During my sole assignment on the Yanks' side, my only job was to stand on the field facing the crowd in-between innings. At the end of one inning, Jeter paused to ask me if I needed anything, a drink or something. For the rest of the game, he'd motion asking the same. Sure it's a small thing but I greatly appreciated the gesture and that he continued.

I was also working the field for the game in July '04 when he torpedoed himself into the stands for a foul ball vs Boston. I was in the Yankees bullpen at the time, right at the left field wall. Although not exactly close, I can't tell you how cool it was to view it at field level.

Just goes to show how much respect he has for people in general and the fans also - he is a very memorable person who kept his nose clean and career dirt-free; very hard to do with all those cameras in NY....

The walk off hit last night couldn't have been scripted any better and it was very cool to see. With that said, there's a little bit in the back of my head saying, Markakis didn't come up firing at home like you would think he could have. He hesitated just a little and then unloaded. Maybe I'm looking into to much, but it should have been a scoop and throw, not a scoop, half step and then throw. My guess is, he knew me screwed up when he interrupted Jeter's final "Role Call", plus...let's be honest...The Orioles had already locked up the Division AND home field advantage in the ALDS, so they didn't HAVE to win the game...and they all knew that.

You can also say the pitcher gave him a gopher ball which had him rip the game-winning hit....but at the end of the day, it was a great ending to the career of a future HOF.

You can also say the pitcher gave him a gopher ball which had him rip the game-winning hit....but at the end of the day, it was a great ending to the career of a future HOF.

Definitely looking into this way to much. The Orioles are still fighting for best record in the AL. If you wanted you can say that Roberston blew the save so Jeter could bat in the 9th to win it.

IMO its not the homer ball fed to Ripken in his last All Star game.

news flash.... baseball is a business. a successful business invests back into it. This has been the Yankees success for decades. Boston has bought championships too.

Jeter is a single guy and has enjoyed doing what single guys do. He is one of the greatest shortstops to play the game. ok he didn't do flips like ozzy but hes one of the greatest hitters to ever play the post season. When you see a kid wear a #2 jersey they are not showing praise to a guy hopped up on juice or beating or cheating on his wife. Ive been following him since the minor leagues and honored to have watched his career from start to finish

You can also say the pitcher gave him a gopher ball which had him rip the game-winning hit...
I'm not a Yankee fan, but no way did this happen. The O's are playing for home field advantage and are three back of the Angels. They don't blow a game just so Jeter could have a perfect send off. No way.

Definitely looking into this way to much. The Orioles are still fighting for best record in the AL. If you wanted you can say that Roberston blew the save so Jeter could bat in the 9th to win it.

IMO its not the homer ball fed to Ripken in his last All Star game.

I'm not a Yankee fan, but no way did this happen. The O's are playing for home field advantage and are three back of the Angels. They don't blow a game just so Jeter could have a perfect send off. No way.
Just to clarify. I am not saying the Os did that. Clearly they want home field advantage. I was talking with some people from work and one of them thought they gave it to Jeter. I am not one of those people and was just going off how Markakis hesitated to throw the ball...

Last edited:
Back