Golf Marathon Weekend in the Denver Area - Live Update Thread...

Reaction score
Handicap
Thought it might be fun to keep a running thread of my upcoming golf weekend in Denver... and maybe pick up a tip or two from the locals - chime in if you've played these courses and have any words of wisdom to share.

Heading from my home here in St. Louis for a golf weekend with an old friend. He's a 13 and I'm a 11 so we're pretty well matched although he does get a couple pops. Although I may want to negotiate that since he knows all these courses and I don't... hmmm.

We'll keep a running tally of the Saturday and Sunday rounds and see who wins and I'll update the thread here just for fun. Place your bets!!!

Itinerary:

--Friday - fly out from STL, arrive Denver mid-afternoon, sample local brews

--Saturday - play a round at Colorado National, then off for a brewery tour or two.

--Sunday - play a round at Pelican Lakes, maybe a 2nd round somewhere else.

--Monday - charity scramble at Greeley Country Club then fly home.

Any Denver THPers have any intel on the courses?

Thought it might be fun to keep a running thread of my upcoming golf weekend in Denver... and maybe pick up a tip or two from the locals - chime in if you've played these courses and have any words of wisdom to share.

Heading from my home here in St. Louis for a golf weekend with an old friend. He's a 13 and I'm a 11 so we're pretty well matched although he does get a couple pops. Although I may want to negotiate that since he knows all these courses and I don't... hmmm.

We'll keep a running tally of the Saturday and Sunday rounds and see who wins and I'll update the thread here just for fun. Place your bets!!!

Itinerary:

--Friday - fly out from STL, arrive Denver mid-afternoon, sample local brews

--Saturday - play a round at Colorado National, then off for a brewery tour or two.

--Sunday - play a round at Pelican Lakes, maybe a 2nd round somewhere else.

--Monday - charity scramble at Greeley Country Club then fly home.

Any Denver THPers have any intel on the courses?
I have not played the last two, but Colorado national is a decent track. Can play very long if you tip it out lol. I've heard it's not in the best shape lately though. I haven't played there since last year early summer

I have not played the last two, but Colorado national is a decent track. Can play very long if you tip it out lol. I've heard it's not in the best shape lately though. I haven't played there since last year early summer

Yeah, it looks like Colorado National is the home course for the CU men's and women's teams so I'd hope it was in pretty good shape.

Not sure about the tips although I'm curious to see how my distance changes playing in the Mile High city.

I'm curious to see how my distance changes playing in the Mile High city.

I have found it to be about 10% more distance with most clubs.

Have fun Tony, looking forward to the updates!

CO National is supposed to be back in good shape. A lot there depends on the green condition.

Pelican Lakes is a fun course with lots of water but not to many other challenges. Keep it straight. If you have time play a round at Highland Meadows. I think it is the best public course in N. CO.

I grew up in Greeley yet never played the Country Club. It is short from what I hear but lined with huge trees. Again, straight ball off the tee will be your friend. But since it is a scramble one guy could take something other than driver and put it in play and everyone else can bomb away.

Enjoy your time here.

CO National is supposed to be back in good shape. A lot there depends on the green condition.

Pelican Lakes is a fun course with lots of water but not to many other challenges. Keep it straight. If you have time play a round at Highland Meadows. I think it is the best public course in N. CO.

I grew up in Greeley yet never played the Country Club. It is short from what I hear but lined with huge trees. Again, straight ball off the tee will be your friend. But since it is a scramble one guy could take something other than driver and put it in play and everyone else can bomb away.

Enjoy your time here.

Glad to hear it re: CO National. Looks like a fun layout.

Re: Pelican Lakes - yeah, I looked thru the website - I either need to keep it straight OR bring lots of ammo, haha.

In a scramble I am usually the guy who pulls out my 17 degree hybrid and tries to put it in play since I'm not very long off the tee w/ the driver. Sounds like that'll help at Greeley.

Rollin'

d412ccb612001e95297dbfb8fbe9abc1.jpg

CO National is a blast...enjoy your trip. Can't speak to the other courses. I think it's 17 on CO National...tempting shot over water on the par 4. Lots of fun holes.

Pre-flight preparations

f4ef4bd47f3e5a5df14a31b9c2048a30.jpg

CO National is a blast...enjoy your trip. Can't speak to the other courses. I think it's 17 on CO National...tempting shot over water on the par 4. Lots of fun holes.

It looked like a fun layout on the website. I'm sure I'll lose a few strokes just since I haven't played there before.

I'll watch out for the 17th. I'm not a big hitter off the tee so it may not be too tempting.

Hope you brought a pull over or long sleeves if you have very early tee times. Lows in the 40s here over the next few days and highs in the upper 60s. Early tee times can be a bit chilly.

Hope you brought a pull over or long sleeves if you have very early tee times. Lows in the 40s here over the next few days and highs in the upper 60s. Early tee times can be a bit chilly.

Good call. Brought a pullover and a windbreaker. Looking fwd to fall weather.

I would also take a look at Riverdale Dunes. It's a great course! Golf channel had it in their top 5 public courses in Denver.

It looked like a fun layout on the website. I'm sure I'll lose a few strokes just since I haven't played there before.

I'll watch out for the 17th. I'm not a big hitter off the tee so it may not be too tempting.
Don't necessarily have to go over. A lot of people think you need to go around but laying up towards the pond can get you a better approach than going left around it. You'll understand when you see it...enjoy.

I would also take a look at Riverdale Dunes. It's a great course! Golf channel had it in their top 5 public courses in Denver.

Not to high jack this thread but you two should join us here:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54760

Also if you guys want I'd be happy to have you out on my course. One of the easiest courses in Colorado ?

Don't necessarily have to go over. A lot of people think you need to go around but laying up towards the pond can get you a better approach than going left around it. You'll understand when you see it...enjoy.

Pro tip here: Its roughly 260 carry to reach the green with a little bit of room to bail on the right. Otherwise hit something 150ish to just short of the first fw bunker on the right to leave 120 in with the best angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro tip here: Its roughly 260 carry to reach the green with a little bit of room to bail on the right. Otherwise hit something 150ish to just short of the first fw bunker on the right to leave 120 in with the best angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I don't have 260 carry unless everything goes exactly right so I think 8i / PW will be the play.

Fort Collins Brewery was fantastic last night and the view of the sunrise from my friend's house was even better this morning. Off to Colorado National in a few hours.

ac35c8198e5586179f3d2d1b01a06cd2.jpg

Say hi to all my family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About to go off on #1 at Colorado National. The view from the range:

6fc860d4350f8c4a11edffa2c4aab6e2.jpg

Match play today. I'm up 3-1 on 6 tee.

All square on 18 tee... made bogey, my partner lipped out a 5 footer for bogey and made double so I won today :)

Shot 94 and am VERY happy with that for my first round at altitude and in a strong wind.

Back