Leaves are falling = Where's my ball

heftylefty

Reaction score
Handicap
I played early this week and the leaves are falling everywhere..My local muni course is blowing the leaves out of the fairway..It's an uphill battle...It's a hilly course with a lot of blind shots..Ya can't see where your ball lands a lot of times. I spent more time looking for balls its sooo frustrating..All you can do is grin and bare it...As John Snow says "Winter is coming"..

Yep - lost a couple of B330-RXS last week because of leaves and high grass - Out came previous gen Duo's last night to finish the year.

Yep - lost a couple of B330-RXS last week because of leaves and high grass - Out came previous gen Duo's last night to finish the year.

Yea, I play yellow balls..I just really like them...I went from Bridgestone E6s to Srixon soft feel to Top Flite Gamers with road rash...LOL

Yeah, I play yellow balls..I just really like them...I went from Bridgestone E6s to Srixon soft feel to Top Flite Gamers with road rash...LOL

I give up the Yellows 1st of September - Just can't find them and my cartners get aggravated look for my ball.

Another THPer once told me that pink balls are the color to go with in the fall. He even sent me a box. And then on the first hole, I toe'd my approach into the right tree line where EVERY leaf that had fallen from one particular tree…was pink. I just don't think there is any way around losing findable balls once the leaves start dropping.

Orange is usually my go to color after the initial dropping of the foliage. When it's currently raining colors I don't know a particular ball color that helps. May try a sleeve of the volvics this year...those new colors can hurt my eyes if looked upon too long.

Hoping someone with TRUVIS yellow/black chimes in here - I'll buy them in a second if they are fall-findable, but otherwise I don't really want to play with a soccer ball.

To avoid this problem, I follow Matt Kuchar's advice that the best place to put my drive is in the hole....

Another THPer once told me that pink balls are the color to go with in the fall. He even sent me a box. And then on the first hole, I toe'd my approach into the right tree line where EVERY leaf that had fallen from one particular tree…was pink. I just don't think there is any way around losing findable balls once the leaves start dropping.

I tried pink last year and it was just as hard to find as orange/yellow. I'm sticking to standard white golf balls

I had ZERO problems finding the black/yellow truvis last fall. Unless it's under a leaf it practically yells "over here!"

I wonder if a "BLAZE ORANGE " ball would be easier to find ???...blaze being the hunter vest orange...

I use yellow this time of year, seems to help a bit, orange doesn't; help at all now. Nothing is more frustrating than losing a ball in the middle of the fairway.

I played early this week and the leaves are falling everywhere..My local muni course is blowing the leaves out of the fairway..It's an uphill battle...It's a hilly course with a lot of blind shots..Ya can't see where your ball lands a lot of times. I spent more time looking for balls its sooo frustrating..All you can do is grin and bare it...As John Snow says "Winter is coming"..

Have you tried those new balls that have a built in gps locator in them yet?

http://kevingangi.com/winter-project/

This time of year we play the leaf rule and use cheap golf balls.

as for colored balls.....I always use yellow (bridge E6) because I can track them in the sky much easier. That being said may latest batch is white because of the good deal I got on them. But through years of playing the yellow ball I can honestly say while it does help me a ton to track them in the sky and also point it out on the ground before I get to it, I always found them worse in the fall season. I honestly think between orange, yellow/green, even pink, whatever, that white actually stands out the best among leaves. And I always switched back to white from my usual bright green/yellow in the fall for this reason.

Fallen leaves are simply brown but often bright yellows, oranges, reds, and different shades of each. And I found that pure white works best in this situation. That being said, when a ball is under a leaf it doesn't matter what color it is and that in itself is really the biggest problem of all anyway. The whole situation is simply a real pain to deal with. Though I must say that my county does a pretty darn good job of blowing and removing. Even a better job than private CC's that I know of. But still there becomes a certain point in a given time frame where taking care of falling leaves is a losing battle. Your not beating mother nature during that time frame.

But all that said, I find the foliage really awesome especially at my mostly played county course. It just has so many trees with the brightest florescent like colors on so many trees it really is an awesome sight for a few weeks. Especially on sunny days many of these trees just glow so bright. Awesome.

Orange is usually my go to color after the initial dropping of the foliage. When it's currently raining colors I don't know a particular ball color that helps. May try a sleeve of the volvics this year...those new colors can hurt my eyes if looked upon too long.

Buddy of mine played the orange Volvics this past weekend..... they stand out like crazy!

White is the worst color for me, all season long. I play later in the day, when the sun is low, so the glare off fallen leaves makes them look white from a distance. A white ball doesn't stand out at all. Pink is better, but no ball is easy to spot if you don't have a very good idea where it ended up. That's why any neon-colored ball is better than white. Pink, yellow and orange are all easier to track against the sky and easier to spot as they bounce to a stop. I bought a couple of boxes of cheap yellow balls to close out the year.
Fallen leaves are annoying, but the leaves still on the trees, in every amazing color you can imagine, more than make up for that. Fall is my favorite season to be out on the course.

Hoping someone with TRUVIS yellow/black chimes in here - I'll buy them in a second if they are fall-findable, but otherwise I don't really want to play with a soccer ball.

To avoid this problem, I follow Matt Kuchar's advice that the best place to put my drive is in the hole....

I've had great luck the past 2 rounds. The tint of yellow just seems to stick out more.

That's the way my last round was. It was partially my fault, I was playing by myself on a new course, and there were leaves everywhere. I had to shorten my distance a good bit just to make sure I was able to keep my eye on the ball when it landed. I have used yellow balls and I like them during the fall but my go to is white. There is something about that little white ball resting out in an open fairway or green that calms you.

This time of year when the leaves are falling, I only play the used balls that I found during the season.....so if I lose a few of them......meh!

This is the time of year when the yellow Duos come out for rounds here in MA.

There are a couple of the nicer courses that do a great job with removing the leaves, that with fall rates make them a must play this time of year.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I lost 5 balls today in the fairway or a couple steps outside of the fairway. Plus another 2 around the greens. Today was not enjoyable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switch to an orange ball during the fall in hopes to see it better but I swear it blends into the background. I have hit the ball dead into the fairway and couldn't find if due to the leaves.

There are a couple of the nicer courses that do a great job with removing the leaves, that with fall rates make them a must play this time of year.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
The big problem comes when it is windy. It's one thing to get the leaves blown off, but when the wind starts whipping around the next day, all the leaves can be right back where they were.

Completely agree. The leaves are a nuisance, but at least I'm playing golf.

Back