Rory interview about Olympics and Tiger's success

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
In this interview Rory comes forward about his real reasoning on it going to the Olympics. I can see where he is coming from about the position he was put in with having to choose who to play for.

He also talks about accepting not winning as much as Tiger if he is able to keep his private where it's at. He doesn't want the same attention Tiger gets.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/golf/...nd-the-important-things-in-life-35349397.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess he is entitled to handle these issues his way but I do think he needs to remember the fans are what makes his success possible!!

Great interview!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Rory has always been a step behind the spotlight that shines on him, and that's fine to a point. He signed on to be a part of this big machine, and his skill put him in the upper echelon in both ranking and money. Signing monster contracts, winning massive paychecks ... And with that comes the reality that your life isn't ever going to be 'normal' again.

It does disappoint me that months later, we get a 'real' reason for the Olympics, especially considering how he went about it. I also think his attitude towards the growth of the game is somewhat contradictory towards some of his fondest memories as a child, because he must realize that he is to youngsters what Tiger was to him. It's a bit of a sad state that he doesn't embrace that idea more and try to take some ownership on leaving the game that has given him so much better than where it was when he started.

Either way, I think he comes off as a pretty down to earth guy that happens to be great at golf, and not great at being "the guy" -- but as we've seen, that isn't the easiest thing in a sport like golf, especially when you watch up close and personal how Tiger's downfall came to be.

I still love watching him dominate a golf course, and I still want to see his name at the top of the leaderboard, but I'll never look at him as a 'great' of this game, no matter what he wins. At the end of the day, he's just a passenger of the sport, not a leader.

I'm kind of torn on how I feel about his attitude towards growing the game, understanding his influence good or bad on yonger golfers and avoiding the spotlight. On one hand i totally get it where golf is an individual sport and he is doing a job and that's what is focus is on and when he is off the course wants to do his thing and not have to deal with the publicity that comes from his ability to play golf and be dominant at it.

On the other hand having Tiger be one of the biggest reasons I got interested in golf as serious as I did I want him to be able to take his ability and help make the game better than when he got on tour, grow the game to get more young people playing and watching golf. I want him to have the hunger to be as good as he can and understand with being a big time athlete he will be in the public eye and the public will want access to him. Not sure anytime can be as mentally tough and focused as tiger was but I want to see him try.

It would have been nice to hear him talk about his true feelings about the Olympics and I can't imagine what it's like feeling like you aren't part of either country you are being asked to play for. He sounds like he is prod to be from Northern Ireland but not having that as a choice added to his blahness to the announcement then factor in 7 years of being asked and having to debate who you will play for and try not to upset the other side.

Between his Feherty interviews, this one and the interview in Dubai he seems like a really good guy who is down to earth

I think Rory has always been a step behind the spotlight that shines on him, and that's fine to a point. He signed on to be a part of this big machine, and his skill put him in the upper echelon in both ranking and money. Signing monster contracts, winning massive paychecks ... And with that comes the reality that your life isn't ever going to be 'normal' again.

It does disappoint me that months later, we get a 'real' reason for the Olympics, especially considering how he went about it. I also think his attitude towards the growth of the game is somewhat contradictory towards some of his fondest memories as a child, because he must realize that he is to youngsters what Tiger was to him. It's a bit of a sad state that he doesn't embrace that idea more and try to take some ownership on leaving the game that has given him so much better than where it was when he started.

Either way, I think he comes off as a pretty down to earth guy that happens to be great at golf, and not great at being "the guy" -- but as we've seen, that isn't the easiest thing in a sport like golf, especially when you watch up close and personal how Tiger's downfall came to be.

I still love watching him dominate a golf course, and I still want to see his name at the top of the leaderboard, but I'll never look at him as a 'great' of this game, no matter what he wins. At the end of the day, he's just a passenger of the sport, not a leader.

I agree with you 100% Dan. Well said.

Back