Ottawaclo

#THPFunkoFam
Reaction score
Handicap
Titos
So bored and waiting for the midwest weather to turn and a few weeks from my first fitting, I was on the Ping site looking at the new irons.

Curious, I tried the online fitting tool that asked for measurements and what not and seemed half ass legit.

at the end i was recommended to get the I200 White dots (3* upright). That surprised the hell outta me.

How bad would this have been messing my swing up if this is legit?

Thanks

I used the Ping online fitting tool with my first set of Pings and it was actually pretty close, I play 2 flat lie angle, the fitting tool had me at 1 flat lie angle. I am going to assume you are pretty tall to get a 3 upright.

I've had 3 different people fit me to 3* upright so it's not unreasonable.

I was fit once to 3* up

I used the Ping online fitting tool with my first set of Pings and it was actually pretty close, I play 2 flat lie angle, the fitting tool had me at 1 flat lie angle. I am going to assume you are pretty tall to get a 3 upright.

6'......37 inches wrist to ground.....8 inch hand length are my measurements

If one is extremely tall or short there is a certain tendency for a flatter or more upright lie. I do think for a lot of people (myself included) that if you give them an upright or flat club their swing will change to accommodate the lie angle. Mine are pretty neutral but I could play a higher or lower lie and adjust to it (my misses might be a different).

when i was swinging way in to out i was fit 3 flat. now it's more like 1/2-1* flat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when i was swinging way in to out i was fit 3 flat. now it's more like 1/2-1* flat

That's why I like forged clubs. If one is working on one's swing, it's pretty easy to get more upright or flatter depending on how you are changing your swing.

2-3 upright would be pretty close I would think. What lie angle are you playing now?

Last time I played Ping I was fit into maroon (4.5* upright) by my instructor at the time. I had never used the online tool before. Plugged my numbers in tonight. It fit me to maroon. At least for me it was spot on. I would say the 3* up is pretty close.

Last time I played Ping I was fit into maroon (4.5* upright) by my instructor at the time. I had never used the online tool before. Plugged my numbers in tonight. It fit me to maroon. At least for me it was spot on. I would say the 3* up is pretty close.

Thanks for that FB

what will be the exact benefit of going up to 3 degrees if that is exactly what I am going to get when I go to my first fitting? Just curious....have I been losing distance? Accuracy? ( I tend to miss 10-15 yards right with irons if I miss)

If you are missing to the right. You are probably hitting the toe first. Which will turn the face open, causing the ball to go right. By bending 3 upright, at impact you will be flat and should go straight. If that makes sense. But the best way would be to hit one a lieboard to get the correct lie.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

what will be the exact benefit of going up to 3 degrees if that is exactly what I am going to get when I go to my first fitting? Just curious....have I been losing distance? Accuracy? ( I tend to miss 10-15 yards right with irons if I miss)

Missing right = too flat
Missing left = too upright

Another thing to remember is that just because Ping fits you to 3 degrees upright doesn't necessarily mean you would be the same for another manufacturer as you are 3 degrees upright from Pings standard

When I next get fitted for irons I will be telling the fitter my current Srixon irons are 2 degrees upright and let them work out the equivalent for whatever I am trying

If you are missing to the right. You are probably hitting the toe first. Which will turn the face open, causing the ball to go right. By bending 3 upright, at impact you will be flat and should go straight. If that makes sense. But the best way would be to hit one a lieboard to get the correct lie.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yep! There was a great video by Golftec that showed how lie angle impacts the ball movement. The summary is that upright=draw flat=fade.

I am 2* upright and 1/2" long (which makes me 2.5* upright i think net).

Part of the upright/flat/standard is going to be manufacturer specific (i would think). Meaning that certain clubs are naturally more upright or flat than others. So if you had R9 TP B stamps, you might be 1* upright while M2 you would be 2* (sorry for the TMAG only ref.)

When i got fitted my lie angle was not relative to the club, it was a specific angle for each loft. This way I could port it to another manufacturer or model and say i need my lie to be.

Example:

4 iron - Loft 23* Lie 63* Length 39.25"

It's probably pretty darn close, it will depend on your setup and how you come into the ball.

I play my irons at a net of almost 3* upright(2* upright plus half inch long).

Flat=right Upright=Left

If your missing right with your irons 10-15yds I'd say 2-3 degrees upright would be appropriate depending on if they determine you need a longer iron. Ping plays a little longer in shaft length then callaway I believe 1/4-1/2 in.

I used the Ping fitting system for my first set of Pings about 30 years ago and was 2 degrees upright. I've had a few detailed fittings since then and as I get older (coupled with my bad back), my swing gradually got more upright. I'm now 3.5 degrees upright. But the Ping static fitting was pretty close.

Thank you everyone

It's a starting point for sure, but so much depends on your posture and spine angle also.
Fwiw I'm 6'2", I don't remember my exact measurements but I'm right on the intersection between +1/4&+1/2 and right on the line between green & white dots on the ping chart.
I play black dot std length.

Last edited:
I'm about 6' as well and would fit to red dot in Pings. Shows how different people can be built haha

6'3 and play 3* up as of my last fitting

I play 2* upright in irons 7 -lob wedge and 1* upright in 4-6 irons. I re-shafted the irons and cut the shafts 1" longer over stock length. Shaft length effects lie angle.
I'm 6'2" with wtf measurement of 39" with golf shoes on.

3* upright with stock shaft length may work for you or you can get 2* upright with longer shaft. An easy DIY way to check lie angle is to draw a vertical line with a sharpie on a golf ball and hit and check the marker line on the club face. If the line shows up vertical on the face then the lie angle is correct, if angled to the tow to upright, angled toward the hosel to flat.

I play 2* upright in irons 7 -lob wedge and 1* upright in 4-6 irons. I re-shafted the irons and cut the shafts 1" longer over stock length. Shaft length effects lie angle.
I'm 6'2" with wtf measurement of 39" with golf shoes on.

3* upright with stock shaft length may work for you or you can get 2* upright with longer shaft. An easy DIY way to check lie angle is to draw a vertical line with a sharpie on a golf ball and hit and check the marker line on the club face. If the line shows up vertical on the face then the lie angle is correct, if angled to the tow to upright, angled toward the hosel to flat.

Thanks for that tip!

So just an update.....ended up having my local guy bend the clubs and i played a couple rounds and i saw immediate improvement with no more pushes to the right.

We went 2.5* upright and the confidence soared a ton.

Prob is I planned to sell the clubs as they are the items that have the most value in my bag.....but I just havent been able to do it yet after how well I hit them after the bending.

For a newer "Serious" golfer I was blown away by how much a fitting legit helps. i was just never really convinced that there was that much difference in equipment and most of the differences were "sell" tactics.

Safe to say I have picked up a ton of side work on website designs to try and avoid selling these bad boys.

Back