Choosing/testing shafts question...

NullNomad

Golf Course Miscreant
Reaction score
Handicap
work
If this has already been discussed in the past, I am sorry in advance... I will accept my flogging willingly.

For the current conversation, I am going to speak from the perspective of irons.

My question is, the methodology. What/how do all of you that tinker with different shaft brands, flex, weights go through your process? Do you have a favorite club that you use as your benchmark? Is it the good 'ol 7 iron or is it the best club you hit in your bag? Do you spend hours at a fitter/club maker running numbers?

I get that there are so many factors in play here that it may not be a simple answer, but from my perspective as a scratch bowler who gave up competition years ago, former coach, and pro shop guy... I know there is something in my golf game that is untapped and I am ready to try to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I have a baseline club that I do the bulk of my testing and reviewing around. Not to say I don't spend time with others (and extended time for that matter), but I know to the number how an 8 iron performs for me and can compare very easily around that. I'd say 7 or 8 iron is a good one. A club that you make good contact with more often than not.

After that I'd look at a brand or brands with a fitting cart and start trying things out. I think getting too analytical is a waste of time, so no I wouldn't go spend hundreds of dollars to get that perfect combination, which is often just that day's perfect combination anyway. Find something that you like swinging, feels good, and gives you the output you are looking for.

which is often just that day's perfect combination anyway.

Thanks for the reply and I can't agree more with this statement. Every day offers something different when it comes to golf, which is one of the reasons I love it so much in comparison to my bowling days. You can never perfect golf, just play it. That being said, it is funny you said the 8 iron. That is probably my best iron in my bag that I play the least. If that makes sense... No other club in my bag produces the confidence that I have with that iron. Opportunity to use it however, is far and few between due to my game of play.

The only problem you can run into is that some sets are flighted or designed to offer a little more height in the longer irons. In that case a 7 or 8 iron may not be the best club for testing or demoing.

Can't stress enough though not to overthink it too much and there's a good chance your iron shafts are just fine for your needs. If you have any swing info you'd like to share, I'd be glad to toss out a few recommendations to get you started.

Swing speed with driver and/or a 6 iron.
Typical trajectory
How you'd characterize your swing - i.e. violent, smooth, etc
What you've tried and liked in the past

If you don't have a swing speed number, the distance you carry your driver and 6 iron would be fine.

Distance with my 6 is about 150-155, trajectory is mid, swing is generally smooth when I am not trying to 'push' through the swing too hard. I have only tried the OEM CFS Stiff and Reg shaft on my i25s. The stiff flex are what I game now due to feel and comfort at impact, the regular flex caused me to miss right on about 75% of the shots.

Any reason why you feel like you need to switch or pursue switching?

Because I feel like tinkering is a valid answer by the way lol. Just seeing if you feel like you're missing something. The CFS is a well-regarded shaft.

This is full on mad scientist tinkering. I love the science in individual sports, this is just my brain wanting to be fed and of course seeing if I am missing something in my gear.

but mostly because tinkering is cool as sh*t! :alien2:

Ok that's reason enough lol.

Try to find a fitting cart like I mentioned. If there's a demo day, even better.

These are just suggestions on things to try. I'd lean towards R flex being plenty of shaft for you in most cases, though some of these play a little softer to flex than others, so S is worth trying.

KBS:

KBS Tour 90 R or S flex
KBS Tour R flex
KBS C Taper Lite - R or S

Project X:

PXi - R or S

True Temper:

XP 95 or 105

Plenty of graphite options too, but you'll see a price increase most likely.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I tried using the online fitting systems and it was hit and miss. for KBS it recommended the KBS C Taper Lite Stiff, Project X (no matter what information I gave it) XP 115 R300, and True Temper gave me the XP 105.

That being said, I think it is time for me to pick up some shafts to mess around with. Thanks for your help on giving me a place to start. I can't wait to scream 'IT'S ALIVE!!!!' when I am done with each option!

You'll save money if you do the work yourself, so if you're handy you might at well give it a shot. Don't hesitate to ask for assistance. Lots of resources here.

Yup, no fear here. I plan on doing the work myself. What better way to learn as well as respect what goes into it.

Not to hijack the thread, but Hawk, you've seen me swing (even though it was 18 months ago). I have a lower ball flight across the board. Driver Swing Speed is 97-100mph but that was from a few years ago. Driver carry is roughly 235-240 yards right now. 6 iron carry is about 160-162 off the deck. My tempo these days is something faster than normal. I'm not Zach Johnson super fast tempo/transition, but I'm definitely faster than Fred Couples.

What KBS shaft would you recommend? I play MC irons right now, would your recommendation change if I went to a GI iron?

~Rock

I'd play the same shaft regardless of the iron head. That's classic overthinking. Not to say a fitting may bear out a better shaft in a different head, but differences in actual real world scenarios would be small enough that I'd just forget about it.

You do hit a pretty low ball. I don't know that shaft is going to remedy that to the point that you're suddenly hitting them high, but I'd look for as much help as possible going into those two courses. Tricky too since you swing pretty fast. I think with height you'd see a lot more carry than you get.

The three that come to mind:

KBS Tour in R Flex
C-Taper Lite in S Flex
Tour 90's in S Flex.

I'd play the same shaft regardless of the iron head. That's classic overthinking. Not to say a fitting may bear out a better shaft in a different head, but differences in actual real world scenarios would be small enough that I'd just forget about it.

You do hit a pretty low ball. I don't know that shaft is going to remedy that to the point that you're suddenly hitting them high, but I'd look for as much help as possible going into those two courses. Tricky too since you swing pretty fast. I think with height you'd see a lot more carry than you get.

The three that come to mind:

KBS Tour in R Flex
C-Taper Lite in S Flex
Tour 90's in S Flex.

Well, that's fairly spot on with my overall thinking. I've hit a Tour-V in R flex in an MC 3 iron, and just loved it. Better launch (still low, but better than what I have) and more carry. I've hit the Tour 90's in S flex just in a store (which those simulators are never that accurate), and they appeared about the same as the Tour-Vs in R. Hoping to get out to hit some CTLs in the next day or two (as well as the others) on a launch monitor.

Thanks Hawk!

~Rock

No prob.

Only reason I didn't list Tour V is that I don't have any experience with them. Those three I listed are all within 10g of each other in weight. If I was picking one for me, Tour R at 110g is just a great iron shaft. If you're looking for maximum height only, Tour 90 is probably your default. It will feel softer than the other two though. That's not a bad thing necessarily, but just an observation.

Not to hijack the thread
~Rock

I like the hijack, that means more than little ol me is getting something from the thread.

Hawk,

Giving this some thought, I know a shop locally re-sells used shafts. Any warning signs there I should be worried about or is that a good cheap option for me to expand my experimental options.

I install used shafts all the time. Much more often than new ones.

Check to make sure they aren't a weird length. May have come from a custom order and be short or long.
Check the tips to make sure they are in good shape.

And tip diameter. Make sure they will fit your irons.

I can't wait now! Like a kid before christmas!

Back