Trying To Break 90 Club

For chips I switched up to using 8i, been a money shot since. For pitching it depends on yardage which wedge but AW/56 most used.

I don't think it's the water being there issue since it's in play for 3 holes in a row with the par 3 being the 2nd of the 3.

I think what emart means (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...) is to stop looking at Par 3s as "must hit the green" and look to hit to a distance instead. It's a lot easier to think "hit it 150" rather than thinking "Okay, I need to carry it X distance with some height so I can land it on the low side of the hole and still keep it on the putting surface."

FTR I'm squarely in this group as well. My last time out I had to cut short to keep momma happy but I was on pace for 89 (with plenty of chances to screw up, so take it FWIW :tongue: )

Last edited:
Can't wait to take another shot at 90 on Friday AM. I've seen some improvement in the irons at the range over the past few days. For the first time I really feel like I've found a tempo for my swing and I can tell when I rush it.

Wall to wall meetings until 8:30 tonight AND rain here in STL... will have to get creative to keep my "practice or play a round every day" streak going. Maybe I can sneak out over lunch and hit a few.

For chips I switched up to using 8i, been a money shot since. For pitching it depends on yardage which wedge but AW/56 most used.

I don't think it's the water being there issue since it's in play for 3 holes in a row with the par 3 being the 2nd of the 3.

good move on going 8i on chips. My instructor recommend similar for me and it has changed my short game a lot. For pitches mine will vary a lot as well depending on lie, if I have to carry something and whee pin is

I think what emart means (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...) is to stop looking at Par 3s as "must hit the green" and look to hit to a distance instead. It's a lot easier to think "hit it 150" rather than thinking "Okay, I need to carry it X distance with some height so I can land it on the low side of the hole and still keep it on the putting surface."

FTR I'm squarely in this group as well. My last time out I had to cut short to keep momma happy but I was on pace for 89 (with plenty of chances to screw up, so take it FWIW :tongue: )

somewhat. The thing is to forget all the bad shots hit in these holes and focus on positive swings and results from other holes. Block out the trouble around the hole and pick a distance and club to hit to that distance. The results seem to be worse with irons on these par3s compared to other swings on longer holes

Shot a 99 yesterday after a 55 on the front, fired a 44 on the back. IDK what is going on with my game. Couldn't drive the ball off the tee more than 200 yds on the front 9, and my irons were horrid.

Started feeling it a bit on the back. Wedge game was decent, and putt the ball pretty well all day. Just need to keep grinding I guess. . .

Had a good one last nite so to speak, didn't play well but I guess everyone else sucked, So I picked up low net in my flight. Plus I had to attempt a 50'+ putt long putt (8'10" to beat) last nite with 40+ guys up on the balcony drinking and laughing, by the time my ball was 1/2 way to the hole you could hear a little noise, when it got 3/4s of the way there you could hear a pin drop. At the last moment it dove under the hole and finished up 12" below the hole, dam so close.

I normally play whites but my buddies decided to go blues this past weekend. I shot a terrible +21 on the front 9. I've been chunking and scooping the ball as of late... none of that this round though. Instead I had a massive hook with my irons which killed me on the front 9. Once I hit the turn I reeled off 2 straight par's and ended up +10 on the back 9. All in all, I shot a 101 that included 2 quads, and 4 triples. At least I ended the round well though... I've broken 90 once... I'm determined to break it again and consistently!!

Last 2 times out I've played a relatively easy MUNY that is a par 69 and today came in with an 87 (46/41), just 1 triple and that was on the back 9. Got off the tee and hit my irons well. Short game and putting was erratic.

Last 2 times out I've played a relatively easy MUNY that is a par 69 and today came in with an 87 (46/41), just 1 triple and that was on the back 9. Got off the tee and hit my irons well. Short game and putting was erratic.

thats great Andy, easy course or not.

thats great Andy, easy course or not.
Thanks Martin, definitely a feel good course though...little under 6000 and not a lot of trouble although some of the greens are tricky(stupid). Shot a 78 there the week before but scores on this course should have an * :)

44 yesterday on my short home 9 holes but with 3 penalties. I hot the ball pretty damn well especially since it was soggy as it had just rained.

I started trying to focus on hitting a golf shot instead of the swing, I need to do more and more of this.

Lastly the flatstick might be the best part of my game right now. No 3 putts

Grabbed a quick 18 around lunch. 46/48 to a 94. Hit the ball really well. I had been working reducing my flipping and getting to my front side. At the range last night, I was over 2 clubs longer. I couldn't feel anything different but the ball was exploding off the club face going high and very long.

On the course today, whatever is going on remained. I couldn't trust the yardage a so I was short or long all day. Only 2 poor drives. Best score on this course. Previous low was 99 on this course.

Jacked and hoping to put another couple good rounds up this weekend

Was on my way to my best round ever. I was 1 under through seven and doubled eight and nine. I couldn't get over it and ended up with a 50 on the back. Still happy I broke 90.

Trying To Break 90 Club

Played 36 holes today: 18 early this morning at a nice local course and 18 more on the 9 hole par 35 executive by my house.

Shot 99 this morning. I think I've decided that's the last time I'll hit the tee box cold with no warm up on the range. Took me a good 5 holes to get the muscles loose. I only had one GIR... disappointing. Also missed 4 putts under 5 feet.

The second 18 of the day on the executive course was much better - 46/46. Hit several shots I was quite happy with and generally felt good about the round.

Back to the range and the putting green tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50/46 = 96 today. Missed a few putts I was expecting to drop and just didn't have my "A" game over all but kept the ball in front of me and didn't have any penalty strokes.

50/46 = 96 today. Missed a few putts I was expecting to drop and just didn't have my "A" game over all but kept the ball in front of me and didn't have any penalty strokes.
I know the feeling all too well of expecting to have my best game and then it takes one bad hole to derail the whole round. I have been working on my mental toughness and last summer I was playing the best golf of my life I am hoping to get back to that state.

No penalties is always a nice feeling.

Shot 45 yesterday and all the confidence I gained over the last few rounds went out the window. I just felt uncomfortable at set up and the swing felt awkward for the most part. I just cannot figure out what causes the swing to suddenly go out the window.

Shot 45 yesterday and all the confidence I gained over the last few rounds went out the window. I just felt uncomfortable at set up and the swing felt awkward for the most part. I just cannot figure out what causes the swing to suddenly go out the window.
I hear ya man. I think for me when I get in this situation I get over confident and forget to do the little things that lead me to have success. Just keep it simple and try to remember what you were doing in those rounds.

After 2 rounds in the 80's, my last 2 rounds have been back up around 100. I'm just getting into trouble off the tee which is costing me strokes. Driver is horrible and I have a 2 way miss with the 4 Wood. It's very frustrating, since I was hitting the driver so well earlier in the year but my irons weren't working. Now my irons are doing very well, but I can't get off the tee.

What a stupid game......... :banghead:

I hear ya man. I think for me when I get in this situation I get over confident and forget to do the little things that lead me to have success. Just keep it simple and try to remember what you were doing in those rounds.
I'm thinking you're right on the money, Jesse. I've always had trouble with focus.

I'm thinking you're right on the money, Jesse. I've always had trouble with focus.
It kills me sometimes and really is tough to get back after a long lay off from the Winter.

Focus has been a problem for me too and then it leads to failed execution. Reading Dr. Bob has helped. I try to stay in the process and only focus on the shot at hand and not worry about all the swing thoughts and what positions I should be in. It has slowly worked and was a big factor in me playing real well last weekend.

Focus has been a problem for me too and then it leads to failed execution. Reading Dr. Bob has helped. I try to stay in the process and only focus on the shot at hand and not worry about all the swing thoughts and what positions I should be in. It has slowly worked and was a big factor in me playing real well last weekend.
Yup, tempo and tension free are enough to focus on and sometimes I can't even bring that to the swing. I'll have to check out Dr. Bob(?).

Yup, tempo and tension free are enough to focus on and sometimes I can't even bring that to the swing. I'll have to check out Dr. Bob(?).

Dr. Bob Rotella. Unstoppable Golfer, Golf isnt a game of perfection and Your 15th club are the 3 i just finished.

Dr. Bob Rotella. Unstoppable Golfer, Golf isnt a game of perfection and Your 15th club are the 3 i just finished.

And Putting out of your Mind for those struggling on the greens.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Playing a course that, last year, ate my lunch. I hope to play better today. Goal is 85.

Back