Trying To Break 90 Club

After 2 rounds in the 80's, my last 2 rounds have been back up around 100. I'm just getting into trouble off the tee which is costing me strokes. Driver is horrible and I have a 2 way miss with the 4 Wood. It's very frustrating, since I was hitting the driver so well earlier in the year but my irons weren't working. Now my irons are doing very well, but I can't get off the tee.

What a stupid game......... :banghead:

I find that sometimes after a couple good rounds I start thinking I'm better than I am and forget what I was doing to play well. Are you trying to over-hit your tee shots?

Had a chance at 89 today but missed a 10 footer for birdie on 18, for a 45/45 90. Seventh round in a row breaking 100 and the 90 is a new PB. If this keeps up I'll be posting my scores here instead of the trying to break 100 thread !

Playing a course that, last year, ate my lunch. I hope to play better today. Goal is 85.
How'd you do? I'm playing a tough course for the 2nd time this Friday. I'd like to forget about the first time I played it.

Well I didn't break 90 yesterday due to some stupid attempts at shots thru some trees but those 4 par 3 holes that I've been having problems with I played much better, +2 on them which included 2 lip outs, much better than the +9 which made me fit to be tied.

Well I didn't break 90 yesterday due to some stupid attempts at shots thru some trees but those 4 par 3 holes that I've been having problems with I played much better, +2 on them which included 2 lip outs, much better than the +9 which made me fit to be tied.

What did you do different on the par3s?

Didn't look at the greens, just tee'd up and hit the ball. Hit 2 greens, 1 i pulled over the trees and just missed the guys on next teebox (bogey), the other miss was pin straight on apron (bogey)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How'd you do? I'm playing a tough course for the 2nd time this Friday. I'd like to forget about the first time I played it.

91 w 15 penalty strokes. Could not get off the tee box. Hitting 5 (OB twice) from the tee on two holes never helps.

91 w 15 penalty strokes. Could not get off the tee box. Hitting 5 (OB twice) from the tee on two holes never helps.

Wow, I think I would have put the driver away for the day.

Wow! When you weren't getting a Penalty, you must have been hitting the ball really well.

I'll be happy with a 91 on Friday. I think I was over 100 last time playing that course.

Wow, I think I would have put the driver away for the day.

Wow! When you weren't getting a Penalty, you must have been hitting the ball really well.

I'll be happy with a 91 on Friday. I think I was over 100 last time playing that course.
I was trying a new driver, and was a glutton for punishment.
I hit my irons very well, with three iron approaches from 200+ that all were on the back of the green.
I did not putt that well, but my strategy was to be in the back of every green.
I had a two putt from 95' I was proud of.
So it wasn't a total failure, golf-wise.
And I won 9 skins against two guys, 11 skins for the team win. So I was the big money winner - therefore, not a terrible day.

I was trying a new driver, and was a glutton for punishment.
I hit my irons very well, with three iron approaches from 200+ that all were on the back of the green.
I did not putt that well, but my strategy was to be in the back of every green.
I had a two putt from 95' I was proud of.
So it wasn't a total failure, golf-wise.
And I won 9 skins against two guys, 11 skins for the team win. So I was the big money winner - therefore, not a terrible day.

Well something good came out it then

102 today... too many penalties. Hit into the water off the tee on four holes. Sigh.

Back to the range. Gotta get my act together this week.

I did it!!!!

89 today with 6 straight pars on the back for a 41

Didn't look at the greens, just tee'd up and hit the ball. Hit 2 greens, 1 i pulled over the trees and just missed the guys on next teebox (bogey), the other miss was pin straight on apron (bogey)

Nice. Seems like not focusing on previous bad shots or the potential problems around the holes helped there. Keep it up and looking forward to later this week when we are golfing in hit, sunny Orlando

Trying To Break 90 Club

Another day, another personal best on a course. (46/47) for a 93. I drove the ball really well. I was still all over the place with my irons. I'm flipping a lot less and crushing my irons over the green even when clubbing down and trying to play my new yardages. I also have a nasty draw/hook that has come with the newfound distance but even that is not reliable. When I play for the draw, I hit dead straight laser shots to bad places.

Case in point: from 163-168 on 3 occasions. I draw first one Off green on par 3. On 10, hit approach shot left of green into water. Then on 17 facing 160 into the wind on par 3, I align slightly right of the green, hits off right side of green and into water.

Still happy with the round, sucks that I was so close hitting my goal of breaking 90. Hopeful for another chance tomorrow.

Last edited:
Another day, another personal best on a course. (46/47) for a 93. I drove the ball really well. I was still all over the place with my irons. I'm flipping a lot less and crushing my irons over the green even when clubbing down and trying to play my new yardages. I also have a nasty draw/hook that has come with the newfound distance but even that is not reliable. When I play for the draw, I hit dead straight laser shots to bad places.

Case in point: from 163-168 on 3 occasions. I draw first one Todd green on par 3. On 10, hit approach shot left of green into water. Then on 17 facing 160 into the wind on par 3, I align slightly right of the green, hits of right side of green and into water.

Still happy with the round, sucks that I was so close hitting my goal of breaking 90. Hopeful for another chance tomorrow.
Line up so that a straight shot won't get you into trouble. Hard to do, but your score will thank you!

Nicely done!

Awesome man! Keep at it dude

Way to go, Martin! Now continue to build on it.

Way to go!

Thanks guys, today felt really good, for a while I felt like I couldnt miss with my irons, and when I missed the green I managed to get up and down. chips were okay, but putting was great.

Case in point: from 163-168 on 3 occasions. I draw first one Todd green on par 3. On 10, hit approach shot left of green into water. Then on 17 facing 160 into the wind on par 3, I align slightly right of the green, hits of right side of green and into water.

seeing the scores go down is always a good feeling, keep grinding, it will happen

Congrats Marty!!!

I had a 45 today, most of my rounds are 9 holes, I'm usually around 93-100 when I go a full 18.

One thing that I think really helped me today to score decently (besides my putter, 13 putts over 9 holes is unheard of for me) was to not touch clubs I'm not comfortable with, or give me issues. Hybrid stayed in the bag, along with my PW and GW, the only wedge I used was my 54* which is absolutely my favorite club. Longer shots I used my 5i for, and didn't get onto the green but I was right in front for a short chip and a 1 putt on a bunch of holes. The worst hole I had was a double bogey (2 of those) with 2 pars in the 9.

Congrats Marty!!!

I had a 45 today, most of my rounds are 9 holes, I'm usually around 93-100 when I go a full 18.

One thing that I think really helped me today to score decently (besides my putter, 13 putts over 9 holes is unheard of for me) was to not touch clubs I'm not comfortable with, or give me issues. Hybrid stayed in the bag, along with my PW and GW, the only wedge I used was my 54* which is absolutely my favorite club. Longer shots I used my 5i for, and didn't get onto the green but I was right in front for a short chip and a 1 putt on a bunch of holes. The worst hole I had was a double bogey (2 of those) with 2 pars in the 9.

Nice shootin'! I like the idea of using clubs you're confident with. The best rounds so far for me (42 for 9 holes) are when I've used that strategy and not always gone for the green but been content to get it close and use a good chip/pitch to get it close & one-putt

Back