I'm too old for this crap…

myndcraft

#TheGauntlet 2015 Champs
Reaction score
Handicap
Driving
Northern Illinois woke up this morning to this b.s.

gifwRQe.jpg

and I realized, I'm done with this junk. Me and the wife have thought about it for a while and after today I want to get a little more serious about heading south… permanently.

So my question to all you folks is where you would you recommend? I'm fortunate enough that all I need is an internet connection and to be within an hour or so of a major airport (directs to places like Chicago, San Francisco, New York etc would be great) to do my job. Beyond that I want to see as little of the white stuff as humanly possible and I wouldn't mind moving somewhere where my dollar stretches a bit further than it currently does.

Any suggestions? I would love to do some visiting of said suggestions over the next 12-24 months and then truly get the hell out of here.

Haha I'm with you. If I could I would pronto.

In terms of suggestions...as of the last couple of years, the only place you're for sure going to avoid all signs of that crap + any signs of cold is middle to south Florida

I did the same thing last year and moved to Charlotte, NC. You still have the changing of the seasons and so far this winter its snowed about 1" total and its gone the next day. Housing prices were much cheaper then where I'm from in Boston. Plus you can play golf all year. So far I'm really happy with the move.

In terms of suggestions...as of the last couple of years, the only place you're for sure going to avoid all signs of that crap is middle to south Florida.

I don't mind a little of it to be honest, but I don't want to deal with it, or the bone shattering cold, for as long as we do in Chicagoland. A little dusting now and then though that vanishes after a day or two I could deal with.

My wife and I had this same conversation last night-- both sick of the cold and wanting something warmer. She said "go get a job paying big bucks and let's go". Now the search for big bucks jobs lol.

I did the same thing last year and moved to Charlotte, NC. You still have the changing of the seasons and so far this winter its snowed about 1" total and its gone the next day. Housing prices were much cheaper then where I'm from in Boston. Plus you can play golf all year. So far I'm really happy with the move.

That sounds great, a little seasonal changing and here-and-gone snow… I could get on board with that.

It is a crazy weather year. Here in Denver it has been in the 60s and 70s. Supposed to be 81 on Sunday. March is supposed to be our snowiest month and it is golf weather! (not complaining, mind you)

It is a crazy weather year. Here in Denver it has been in the 60s and 70s. Supposed to be 81 on Sunday. March is supposed to be our snowiest month and it is golf weather! (not complaining, mind you)

How's the cost of living in Colorado? I know parts of it are gorgeous, but I always envisioned going south-east rather than south-west. I'm not opposed to it though.

That sounds great, a little seasonal changing and here-and-gone snow… I could get on board with that.

Ya look into it. It's been a great area so far. Charlotte is also booming economically which has been good for my industry. Far far this winter we have had more days in the 70's then the 40's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southeastern VA is nice. Don't know about direct flights to san Francisco though.

Was going to recommend Charlotte, but Mike beat me to it. Charlotte and Atlanta would have two of the bigger airports though Raleigh and Columbia (SC) are decently sized as well.

In terms of suggestions...as of the last couple of years, the only place you're for sure going to avoid all signs of that crap + any signs of cold is middle to south Florida

And then the flip side is you boil in the summer.

Personally I'd split the difference and go with Georgia or the Carolinas. You'll get some colder weather and occasional small amounts of snow/ice, but nothing like up further north.

Don't know how all you guys deal with all that snow every year. Hope you can find a better and more suitable place to live myndcraft.

Personally I'd split the difference and go with Georgia or the Carolinas. You'll get some colder weather and occasional small amounts of snow/ice, but nothing like up further north.

I will say it was very hot here in the summer especially coming from the north. But I would take that over barely getting above freezing for a couple months. I feel like you get used to the heat but never get used to bone chilling cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind a little of it to be honest, but I don't want to deal with it, or the bone shattering cold, for as long as we do in Chicagoland. A little dusting now and then though that vanishes after a day or two I could deal with.
Friday I played golf in shorts ... I think it was 79 or so. Yesterday it snowed and had a high of around 36. Tomorrow it'll be back up to 61 and we reach 68 by Saturday.

You're speaking my language!

It was 85* and sunny yesterday in Phoenix! :) Going to be in the 90s this week too.

Even went to the range in the evening to hit balls.

Looking at the forecasts for the NE, I won't complain about the 3" of snow I will be getting.

In the end, I choose to live here, I try not to complain too often about the weather. It's a choice.

Looking at the forecasts for the NE, I won't complain about the 3" of snow I will be getting.

In the end, I choose to live here, I try not to complain too often about the weather. It's a choice.

Agreed, I could have left before kids, but I didn't. Now that they are out of highschool though (well the last will be this year) I'm choosing to get the hell out LOL

east coast has the humidity to go with the warm weather. Anywhere but the coast just gets swampy as hell in the summer.

If you want perfect weather year round, Southern California has it.. but then its full of southern californians too...

If I had the means, I would buy a beach house in San Clemente and become a beach bum.

east coast has the humidity to go with the warm weather. Anywhere but the coast just gets swampy as hell in the summer.

If you want perfect weather year round, Southern California has it.. but then its full of southern californians too...

If I had the means, I would buy a beach house in San Clemente and become a beach bum.

I love California (and I do work in Technology), but the cost of living is just stupid there :(

you American's are lucky, you have choice to go south and take up residence...... us Canadians have no where to go. Here are our choices

East Coast:
Spring: Meh
Summer: Nice
Fall: Meh
Winter Hell

Great Lakes/Central:
Summer: Hot and Humid
Winter Damp, Cold and Windy

Oil Patch/Mountain:
Summer: Nice
Winter Cold enough to freeze the nutz off a bridge

West Coast:
Spring: Wet
Summer: OK
Fall: Wet
Winter Cold and Wet

FWIW, if I could move, my choice would be Arizona. Hot and Dry !

How's the cost of living in Colorado? I know parts of it are gorgeous, but I always envisioned going south-east rather than south-west. I'm not opposed to it though.

Eh, it is probably the hottest housing market in the US right now. Not a good time to move here if I am totally honest. You do not want to buy at the top of the market.

Look at AZ north of Phoenix. Cost of living is low everywhere but scottsdale. Great airport w direct flights to every major metropolitan city. Hot in summer, fantastic weather all winter.

West Coast:
Spring: Wet
Summer: Fantastic
Fall: Damp but not as wet as people seem to think
Winter Cold and Wet

I think you short sell the West Coast here (for us Americans, it would be the Pacific Northwest). I'd correct as above. I don't know that I have ever in my life encountered better weather from July - Sep than in coastal Washington and BC.

The real problem is how bloody expensive it is.

Back