THP Golf Leagues & Weekly Events Thread

Our Painted Hills Wednesday night Men's League (9 holes) starts tomorrow. It has 96 players and 48 alternates and closes down the course each week. You play the front nine one week and the back nine the next. Tomorrow is a two man scramble from the whites. My partner and I went out and played a whole round in scramble format since he didn't know quite what to expect. We shot +7 on the front (UGH) and +2 on the back, which is where we play tomorrow.

Four times a year we have a night where the alternates play so we have 144 people on the course (6 per group).

6 per group must take a long time to get done.
My league started yesterday. I shot a 44. I had a double and a triple bogie on back to back holes, other than that I played pretty good. It was great to be back out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 per group must take a long time to get done.
My league started yesterday. I shot a 44. I had a double and a triple bogie on back to back holes, other than that I played pretty good. It was great to be back out there!

It's only nine holes, and it's only four times. But yeah, I am not a fan. But you get bonus points for bringing an alternate so I suffer through . . .

A buddy and me are playing a double elimination bracket this year at our home course, should be a lot of fun, pairings are announced tonight.

We shot even par 35 tonight in a two man scramble. Birdied 18 and bogeyed 14 (our first hole was #16). I am definitely driving for show right now (for me, anyway). My partner was hitting good irons most of the time where I didn't help out too much with that. He putted first and only one time did he put it outside of two feet, so I was able to go for it without worrying if I hit it too far. We two putted every hole except our birdie hole, which he got.

Our 9 hole Thursday night league starts next week. I missed the deadline last year and signed up as an substitute this year since work seemed like it would have gotten in the way a lot last summer. Everybody that I've talked to has said that it's a lot of fun and there's a buffet dinner afterward.

I'm playing the member-member tourney (four-ball match play) and the President's Cup (individual match play; first round matchups were posted today, but I didn't get to make it to the golf shop after coming back from NYC today). Hopefully I'll advance far enough that I'll have to worry about scheduling matches in June (Olde Stonewall, family golf weekend, and MO trip). :smile:

Registration for our individual match play league just came out last week. Matches start last half of May. Really glad our courses new owners are going to continue this league.

In our work league tonight I am up against the best golfer in our league. I played well enough in our first two weeks that I am only getting one stroke over the 9 holes. I'd rather be playing him at virtually scratch than be playing someone else and giving up a lot of strokes. Just have to keep my head down and play my game.

I played in a charity 4 man scramble yesterday afternoon. We started slow, but played much better the second half of the round. Ended up shooting -7, the winning team was -17! We were having trouble making putts. The greens were fast with quite a bit of break to them. It was a good time for a good cause though. After work today I'm driving to Ohio to play golf with friends. We are playing 27 tomorrow and 18 on Saturday with various formats and money up for grabs with much drinking and trash talking throughout the weekend. It will be a great time guaranteed!

In our work league tonight I am up against the best golfer in our league. I played well enough in our first two weeks that I am only getting one stroke over the 9 holes. I'd rather be playing him at virtually scratch than be playing someone else and giving up a lot of strokes. Just have to keep my head down and play my game.
Well, that went better than I expected. We ended up all square in our match, but a bad double bogey from my opponent led me to win in gross and net for the nine. I played my game, and had par putts when scrambling, some that I made. Overall, a good match for me!

In my Tuesday night league, I didn't shoot well (really, I played great, just couldn't make a putt!), but still managed to win my match points 6 - 4 (10 points on the line--1 per hole, 1 for the match). And tonight in my Thursday night league, I strung 5 pars over the last 5 holes to win my match 11 - 9 (2 pts per hole, 2 pts for the match, 20 total). Three matches in to my golf season, and I am 3-0.

Shot 42 in a two man scramble. two pars, three bogeys and three, bogey is your friend bogeys.

Men's league starts tomorrow at my club! Its supposed to do more raining tomorrow but less than today. I'm playing either way. I've worked it out with work to be able to play more weeks than not so I'm going to enter the points race this season. Can't wait!

Week 4 of our league is tonight. Playing a match at scratch today should be a good challenge. 80 degrees and calm winds make for good conditions!

I shot a 44 in my league tonight. I hit the ball pretty good but I had 4 three putts. Pathetic!!!
I did birdie the first hole to win a skin

Shot a 41 tonight in league and beat my opponent by 3 holes. Putting wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either.

Shot a 46 and won 6 out of 9 holes.

Shot 1-over 36 in a two man shamble tonight.

We probably moved up some spots tonight (our third week), but going in we were right smack dab in the middle of C flight.

First week of league was Tuesday night. Handicaps were established. The league format is two-man teams with A/B players. A vs. A and B vs. B. Each hole awards points. 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie. Also points for total net score. After 1 week my handicap is a 9.6 and my opponent was a 4.8. Looks like for scoring they round the handicaps so we were playing as a 10 v. 5. I shot a 46 and he shot a 41. We both net a 36. I won my match 11 to 9.

As a team we are tied for first place with 21 points. There are 6 teams in the league.

This week we had a 3 club challenge. It was still handicapped, but the scores wouldn't count toward our league handicaps. I ended up going with 7 iron, sand wedge, and putter. 7 iron would get me on or close to all the greens in two, and I thought I would putt better with the putter. I probably could have used any other club and putted as well as I did today.

Positive was I was hitting my 7 iron really well, and I played some pretty good wedge shots around the greens. Gave myself chances for par, which is most important. I ended up lipping out most of those par chances, so that stunk.

It was a lot of fun to be limited to only 3 clubs.

I ended up all square in my match but I won the points for net score.

Ah, so this is the place....

My weekly club... We play every Tuesday morning starting March 1st, but hardly anyone starts playing until May 1st because the course is a mess. The plug the greens and fairways mid-April and it takes about 3 weeks for things to get decent. Prior to May the course is a swamp. I took me a while but I learned not to hit hybrids on this course until June because it's not as forgiving to a fat shot as it is to an iron - less interaction with the mud. I really should have picked up a couple of the Cobra Baffler XL Hybrids from last year with the rails specifically for this course.

Anyway, I started out with a DNF two weeks ago that got input by our handicap chair, filling in the last five holes with my ESC scores as a 105. It got kicked for the revision, but they want to do that, fine. They're supposed to enter what i would most likely have completed the holes which is not a double par on the par 4s.

Tuesday I shot a whopping 96 in the rain and in dead, humid air. Nothing was going anywhere. The greens were behaving weird, too. Fast for putting, but soft for landing. On the 13th which is a par 3 and sloped to the front I hit a 9 iron off the tee that landed pin high in the center of the green and backed all the way off onto the fringe. Teaches me to play a Chrome-soft on that. Ended with a bogey. Couldn't hit my 3W off the tee either and ended up hitting my 5 iron - it's a safe go to club and I can still hit most par 4s in regulation or have a nGIR if I hit my second shot well. It isn't going to give me many birdie opportunities.

So I've been getting ready for our President's Cup Match Tournament. I almost won it last year, but had an atrocious front nine in the final round and was down 4 holes going into the back nine. I lost it on the 17th. I don't know if I'll win this year or get out of the first round. Last year I had a 30 HC and was getting a bundle of strokes. This year I'll be giving strokes so I'll have to be on my game.

Had one meltdown hole and nothing much to counter it. 46 gross score, but was getting 6 strokes and pulled out 9 points for the team. Wind was blowing pretty hard and caused a couple of headaches.

Another cold windy league night. I shot a 44. The guy I was playing against had a 46. We had the same handicap. We both should of shot much better.

Last 4 weeks in league play: 48, 46, 44, ...and yesterday a 53 (boo!) I had a case of the rights off the tee, and had too many sideways pitch-outs, too many hero shots that went awry, and a couple of OB's.

I did figure things out by the end of the round, and found a new go-to club: I hit my 5W 190 for a GIR on the tough 18th hole & a finishing par. Hopefully next week I can continue the downward trend in scores.

Three over par 38 in a two man best ball tonight. Started on hole 3, Paul birdied it, a bunch of bogeys and two pars later I birdies #1 and we bogeyed #2.

Horrible conditions, it was cart path only and we probably shouldn't have played anyway.

Had my first day of league last night. It's 4 man teams and you split into 2 and play hcp match play. Your lowest hcp player vs their lowest and so on. I've never played match play before really so it was very eye opening for me. The thought process hole to hole and on certain shots is just different to me than stoke play. I made some stupid choices like going for a long putt trying to make it instead of just lagging it close, I put it about 5ft past the hole, missed that putt and split the hole instead of winning it. Being aware of what your opponent is doing was a big part of it too. In the end I think we ended up splitting the match but this was a great learning experience and prep for #THPLegacy. It was one of the reasons I joined this league and so glad I did.

Back