Evaluate My Swing (Video)

NikeGolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm fairly happy with my game, I've been playing for 2 years. I'm just now learning how to pivot better and learn shaft lean/compression.

I used to flip with lots of early extension.

I'm not the biggest fan of my backswing and I'm losing tush line and early extending a little bit.

Do you think I'm on the right track?

3 Wood:

I think you have a great action going on with that swing and looks like you can create a lot of power. You drive your hips through the ball very well IMO. I think Freddie will get you on the right path with a couple tweaks to maybe help you be more consistent, but for only playing 2 years you are on the right path. Great work.

Your pivot has a bit of lean in it. Meaning, during your transition to the down swing, you start to lean to the left. This happen right at the end of your backswing and as the down swing starts.

The good news is that your hips lead the way but your leaning left, just a bit and are literally on top of the ball. The imaginary line created at the ball should be worked from behind not 'on top of'. If your body is even with the ball you have to create room. And that is where the flaws come into play. Loss of spine angle, OTT swing path, holding the face at impact in an effort to square it.

If you stop you back swing a few inches earlier, the lean to left will go away. You'll be able to operate behind and inside the ball. Keep that weight over your right instep on the backswing. This will help shorten the backswing and keep your weight in the proper place.

I think you have a great action going on with that swing and looks like you can create a lot of power. You drive your hips through the ball very well IMO. I think Freddie will get you on the right path with a couple tweaks to maybe help you be more consistent, but for only playing 2 years you are on the right path. Great work.

Thanks!

Your pivot has a bit of lean in it. Meaning, during your transition to the down swing, you start to lean to the left. This happen right at the end of your backswing and as the down swing starts.

The good news is that your hips lead the way but your leaning left, just a bit and are literally on top of the ball. The imaginary line created at the ball should be worked from behind not 'on top of'. If your body is even with the ball you have to create room. And that is where the flaws come into play. Loss of spine angle, OTT swing path, holding the face at impact in an effort to square it.

If you stop you back swing a few inches earlier, the lean to left will go away. You'll be able to operate behind and inside the ball. Keep that weight over your right instep on the backswing. This will help shorten the backswing and keep your weight in the proper place.

This is good insight, thanks!

I will try and keep from leaning left with your advice.

Evaluate My Swing (Video)

Here is what my iron swing looks like:

I'm no expert, but I think a little more old school. Try to work the ball. Don't worry about the swing right now. If you can curve the ball both ways and hit the ball with good contact, your swing doesn't need work. Learn to spin the ball and you'll be on the road to making your swing subconscious, which is the point of learning.

If you can make the changes you're making subconscious, then you'll play better. Not saying you can't work on your swing, work on it all you like, but make the changes, then once you repeat the action long enough it should become muscle memory. My advice is learn to curve the ball both ways and once you're able to do this your swing doesn't need changing, regardless of if your hips turn too much or your shoulders don't turn enough or what your swing looks like.

I'm no expert, but I think a little more old school. Try to work the ball. Don't worry about the swing right now. If you can curve the ball both ways and hit the ball with good contact, your swing doesn't need work. Learn to spin the ball and you'll be on the road to making your swing subconscious, which is the point of learning.

If you can make the changes you're making subconscious, then you'll play better. Not saying you can't work on your swing, work on it all you like, but make the changes, then once you repeat the action long enough it should become muscle memory. My advice is learn to curve the ball both ways and once you're able to do this your swing doesn't need changing, regardless of if your hips turn too much or your shoulders don't turn enough or what your swing looks like.

His swing won't allow him to work the ball both ways. You can't just will the ball left to right or right left. There are mechanics needed to do so.

Great advice!
I'd also like to see him get the arch out of his lower back at set up by tucking the ole tush under. That would get him more sitting than leaning, and protect his lower back; maybe stand a little further from the ball too?

Back