Bombtech Grenade wedges?

ThatGolfGuy

Reaction score
Handicap
Classified
Hey guys,

I'm just curious if any of you have had the chance to try out the Bombtech grenade wedges? Looking to replace my somewhat outdated Taylormade RAC's. The grenades seem like a really good deal, and are clubs on my radar since the set includes a 52, 56, and 60 for $100, but I'm skeptical if they are good or not. Have any of you tried them before, and if so, how are they compared to Vokeys, or Mack Daddy's, or any other popular wedges?

they're wedges. not bad not great, just... there

Theyre the real deal. Id put them up against any other brand of wedge on the market.

Did you hit them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 72, built exactly the same as the 52,56,60

there's nothing special about bombtech stuff, it's bog standard generic cast steel, lots of heel and toe relief though, different from typical big box wedges

I have the 72, built exactly the same as the 52,56,60

there's nothing special about bombtech stuff, it's bog standard generic cast steel, lots of heel and toe relief though, different from typical big box wedges

Got ya. The 72 sounds like something fun to hit myself in my nose with lol

Got ya. The 72 sounds like something fun to hit myself in my nose with lol

My buddy has the 72. I tried it. It didn't end well. Hasn't ended well for him on a single shot yet, either :angel:

My buddy has the 72. I tried it. It didn't end well. Hasn't ended well for him on a single shot yet, either :angel:

I had a 68* wedge for a while. It was a lot of fun when hit well, but man...it was hard to hit well. I could take a full swing and leave the ball in the exact same place, just cut completely under it, or I'd blade the shot and send it 100 yards in the wrong direction. Worked about every 6th shot. I gave it to someone else who promptly managed to get out of a pot bunker and on the green like he'd owned it for years.

I've never used them before and I probly never will. I'm sure they are fine for the price but I will not give that guy any of my money

Do they had grind selections?... that makes a huge difference when you find a grind which suits.

Bombtech does not make any quality products IMO, your money is better spent elsewhere.

Without the exception of their newly released iron set, I own all the Bombtech clubs. For the golfer on a budget i'd say go ahead and get the wedge deal. There's nothing wrong with them and they perform similar to other wedges. I personally find their 5 wood to be their best club.

Probably nothing wrong or great about them so for $100, why not? If you're like me, you've wasted way more money before if you don't like them.

for the same amount of money, you can get a Tom Watson set of wedges, made by Adams Golf. I own this set and it is a great set for beginners/budget minded golfers.

cant really speak to the bombtech stuff but my general opinion is its mostly hype marketing.

Mizuno JPXs are $49 ea at Budget right now with 52, 56, and 60 in RH. There's also the THP 15% promotion going to make it even less. I bought some at $39 a while back. The face milling has good spin and there's a cavity back for forgiveness. I've never hit the Bombtech, but personally I'd prefer Mizuno.

Dave

Woah sweet ill check those out as well for sure! Thanks!

I have them. Only wedge that has been very tricky for me to get a feel for is that 72. I do better with it at a range, because the mats are a lot firmer then the turf. I carry and play the others regularly and have confidence in them. As was mentioned not terribly unique but very affordable and for the money I think they are a great value. I would also put them up against a lot of the more expensive stuff out there.

Maybe a little out of thread, I also carry their 2 and 3 Irons regularly . Basically I no longer carry fairway drivers and have never carried hybrids. I have loved these irons out of the box. Last time I played I got ona green on a par 5 in 2, using a 2 iron from Bombtech at Twisted Dunes. I have never had an issue hitting either the 2 or 3 Iron. My buddy bought their Grenade 2 (with bonus #3 driver) and also has some of their wedges. He has some issues either hitting fat or skulling with the wedges, I haven't had that problem.

Several months old this thread is, but I just played my brand new 72* Grenade wedge. It was fun! I practiced in my favorite bunker at a local course. The bunker is a pot sided bunker. Almost straight up to get out on the forward side to the cup. The 72* lofted my ball up and out!

I also have a Callaway “sure out” 64* and the X-wedge 60*. (I’m a huge variable wedge fan, in case you couldn’t tell). Anyway, i like the Grenade 72*. It has its limitations, but it also has its advantages. I probably would only use it once or twice for an entire round of golf. But it’s worth it to me to carry it in my bag.

I would think with that much loft and with that sole design, the miss in the bunker would be thin?

At 72* I don't personally see the point as it is such a limited use club with that much loft, and I would feel that I would need to swing so hard that if I got it wrong someone is going to be seriously injured.....

Back