Cobra FLY-Z Driver Preview

There should always be a picture of the face of the driver.

Cobra has REALLY impressed me in the last few years. The Fly Z+ is calling my name.

Ping has fallen out of favor with me lately.

Il have more to say later. But I hit this one for the first time today on a LM.

Love is not too strong of word!!

Last edited:
Super excited with the countdown getting closer to give these a go with the Cobra team at LIITA

Was at a lesson the other day, and my instructor noticed me struggling with my driver and thought it was the shaft. Gave me the Fly-Z in stock stiff and let me hit it. Overall the club felt good. I can't remember all the numbers off the top of my head, but for me the spin was a little high. Spin was somewhere just under 4500. Now I'm not great to begin with when it comes to hitting driver, so take it for what it's worth, but the overall feel of the driver was great. Shaft wasn't too whippy. Still think I'm leaning towards the G30 sf tec, but the Fly-z is a close 2nd.

So as mentioned above I hit this yesterday in GolfSmith on it's Launch Monitor.

I had hit about 12 balls or so with the XR and got a bit better results than I had the day before in my fitting at GG. At least I was making pretty solid contact with the XR this time, not all off the heal like everyone at my fitting was.

I didn't get a printout of the XR results or take a picture. But in a nutshell, the average was 221 with the XR and the longest was 232, launch seemed to be around 12 to 17 on most.

I was about to leave and noticed a few FLY Z's sitting in the demo bag, So I grabbed a 10.5 R Flex (same as XR)

I hit about ten or so with it. The flight on the LM was much straighter and higher, both had a slight fade, and both had a pull hook factored in as well.

The numbers for the FLY Z came back with an average of 235 and a long of 253, with launch closer to 16 and 17 degrees.

Both drivers felt good with the lighter weight stock shafts they had. Both looked good at address and the sound was great with both.

I'll be continuing to demo for the next week or so and probably do a Club Champion driver fitting as well. This is about my 5th session of hitting balls since September. My swing speed isn't where I would hope it would be after working out over the winter, but I'll continue to work on that.

Hopefully in the next couple weeks, I'll feel my swing is about as loose as it's going to get by the demo day.

Really cool thoughts Rob...sounds like fly z was fun to hit for you

Really cool thoughts Rob...sounds like fly z was fun to hit for you

It defintiley was Eric. I'd describe it as very low maintenance. Just aim it and swing. Very straight and light.

Very impressed with this club. So incredibly easy to hit. I thought the Bio Cell was too spinny; the Bio Cell + didn't spin enough (for me). The Fly Z is great with a mid-boring flight. And, even better, it is a bomber!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I thought the Bio Cell was too spinny; the Bio Cell + didn't spin enough (for me). The Fly Z is great with a mid-boring flight. And, even better, it is a bomber!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sounds like Goldilocks , just right

Are the bio cell and fly z adapter the same?

Is anyone using the Fly-Z with the Aldila Tour Blue 65 shaft? I'm tempted to give this combo a try and this was the stock shaft on the Callaway X2 Hot.

Is anyone using the Fly-Z with the Aldila Tour Blue 65 shaft? I'm tempted to give this combo a try and this was the stock shaft on the Callaway X2 Hot.

I am not, but do have both of those things available. Might have to put them together.
If you are going to be at the THP Event in Columbus in a bit, I can bring it for you to try on the FlightScope.

I got a Black head FlyZ at a scramble last weekend, I am bringing it out today for the first time.
I will post my thoughts here when the round is over.
BTW, the driver I WOULD be playing today is a BioCell with Stock Px 6.0 shaft. For comparison information.

I got a Black head FlyZ at a scramble last weekend, I am bringing it out today for the first time.
BTW, the driver I WOULD be playing today is a BioCell with Stock Px 6.0 shaft. For comparison information.
I have hit both, Spivey, and really like the Fly-Z over the Bio Cell. Look forward to your thoughts.

I am not, but do have both of those things available. Might have to put them together.
If you are going to be at the THP Event in Columbus in a bit, I can bring it for you to try on the FlightScope.

I don't think so. I'm a lefty also so I'm not even sure any shops here around town would even have the combo for me to demo.

I don't think so. I'm a lefty also so I'm not even sure any shops here around town would even have the combo for me to demo.

I have a lefty head if that matters.
But the only THP Event in Ohio this year, happens to be in Columbus.
Hope that helps. Getting to test it out before purchase on a FlightScope outdoors is solid, but totally up to you.

Thanks, is that the event at Longaberger next month? I'll need to see if I'm free that weekend and see if I can make it.

Thanks, is that the event at Longaberger next month? I'll need to see if I'm free that weekend and see if I can make it.

Yes sir.

I have hit both, Spivey, and really like the Fly-Z over the Bio Cell. Look forward to your thoughts.

What is it you liked about the Fly-Z over the Bio Cell? Is there mush difference between them? What improvements did you notice? I haven't see or read a lot of comparisons between the 2.

I used to live in Columbus and the Golfsmith over by Easton had a good amount of lefty clubs to demo. I can't speak to their stock of 2015 clubs but when I was there in 2014 they had a fair amount of lefties and they just opened a brand new Golf Galaxy...I never went in that one but I'm sure it's nice.

Excited to get a few swings in with this driver next weekend at LIITA

I've got the Matrix shafts in S and R flexes if you want to borrow either of them for a while.

Back