The best places to play in north myrtle?

BluesManDan

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm heading to north myrtle this week with my dad and I've never been. What are the best courses to play when visiting? Preferably not too expensive.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you can get a deal for any of the Barefoot courses they are the best in the area!

Tidewater is a must play. might be high$$$$
A little further north you have The Thistle which is one of my favorites.

My info is probably outdated and worthless, as the only time I played golf there was in 2005, where we played 6 rounds in 4 days. We played 3 of the 4 courses of Wild Wing, which is now down to one course I believe (Avocet), which was really nice. We also played The Witch, and Man O' War. I'd play The Witch again, but Man O' War was a nightmare round, mostly because the club was disorganized and wanted to send out 300 dudes on 18 holes all at the same time, so three foresomes stacked up on every tee box was one of the most memorable experiences of my life hopefully never to be repeated again.

Honestly, my info only really applies to layouts and whatnot, and I have no clue if the conditions are good at all. I would highly recommend calling any course you pick ahead of booking tee times and confirm when they are overseeding or punching the greens. We got stuck putting on sand on one course because they failed to tell us that was the week they were punching their greens.

I will say that paying more for greens fees doesn't necessarily guarantee you much of anything in Myrtle Beach. There are some good tracks that are affordable (< $50) and some ho hum tracks that are way overpriced. But I guess that's anywhere you play I suppose.

Good luck!

North Myrtle?

I like Farmstead and Meadowlands just north of the border as well as the Big Cats in Ocean Ridge plantation.

I second Barefoot and Tidwater and Thistle as well.

Second the Thistle, played 36 holes there a couple of weeks ago...love the layout.

At Barefoot the LOVE course is in fantastic shape...a real pleasure to play!

Thistle, Tidewater and Dunes Golf & Beach Club.
Dunes is definitely one of my favorite courses down there.
Always in flawless condition.
Don't sleep on Long Bay in Longs, SC (about 15 minutes north of N. Myrtle).
Jack Niklaus design that is always in great condition and one of the best bargains. Never paid more than $50 to ride there.

Barefoot is awesome, worth the cash

Shaftsbury glen is always in good shape and affordable

Thistle is awesome

Possum trot has slower greens but is usually in good shape and can be tough

On the south end of North Myrtle, but I just had a great first round at Grande Dunes ~3 weeks ago.

Forgot t mention Long Bay, a fantastic course with usually great conditions

Well we ended up playing at beachwood today, as it was the closest course, just 2 miles away. Not a hard course but good conditions. I shot 38/34 for a 72 and my dad went 40/39 i think. Tomorrow we're supposed to play brunswick plantation. Though that long bay sounds really tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back