Driver spin: Urethane vs. Surlyn

carolinaborn82

Reaction score
We all know Urethane spins more around greens. But does it always spin more than Surlyn off of the driver?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We all know Urethane spins more around greens. But does it always spin more than Surlyn off of the driver?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No. In fact at often has little imput.

So, what do you look for when it comes to a low spinning ball off the tee? Is it compression? Or do you just look for low spinning off the tee on the box lol?

What about driver launch between surlyn and Urethane ? I always seem to get a nice high launch out of a 2pc surlyn. Yet with a Urethane ball it's usually more Mid. Is this due to compression or cover ?

This is interesting to me as I spun quite a bit off the driver

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No. In fact at often has little imput.

Don't most ball companies advertise their surlyn balls as low spin off the driver?

I couldn't tell the difference between reg duo spins and the urethane duo off the tee box. Both went the same distance and ended up to the right.

Interesting thought but I can't, in my game tell the difference in spin. Feel, yes but not spin off the driver.

Don't most ball companies advertise their surlyn balls as low spin off the driver?

It's typically a compression thing more than the surlyn cover. But for beginners that don't want to spend a ton on premium balls they make the surlyn at a better price point.

It's typically a compression thing more than the surlyn cover. But for beginners that don't want to spend a ton on premium balls they make the surlyn at a better price point.
Interesting, thanks. So what is the low compression urethane ball?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Interesting, thanks. So what is the low compression urethane ball?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

There are a few of them around I'm sure. Chromesoft is relatively low compression as I recall. The thing is that most of the better players that want the greenside spin will also have higher swing speeds so the urathane balls tend to be higher compression than the surlyn balls. If you have a fast swing speed and play a ball with very low compression it often won't work as well as it will knuckle ball in the air and you end up losing distance.

Back