Your surprise club for 2017

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
What club has really taken you by surprise this golf season? I think we all expect certain clubs to live up to the hype but which one came in without much fanfare and really knocked your socks off?

For me its the Indi wedges. They're really fun to play and while nonconforming they add a new exciting element to the round when they are in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your surprise club for 2017

Only new clubs in my bag for 2017 have been a driver (Rapture V2) and the Callaway Sure Out 64*. The driver I owned once before and knew it was solid. So no surprise there.

The Sure Out I wanted solely for bunker play but have found out it's very versatile. I use it for anything greenside out of Tank Chipper range and also it's not too shabby on full shots either.
Between it and the Tank chipper it's a nice one two punch. I ended at an 11.5 cap last season and down to a 10.6. I think the short game benefits can get me into single digit realm.

in a good way - RTX 3 wedges. A lot of times when little things change, it can easily be dismissed as "marketing hype". But I really do feel like the changes they made to these have been fantastic, and the V sole just flat out works on wedges.

in a bad way - TM P770 irons. Just didn't really care for them, and I really wanted to love them as they look incredible.

It's a tie for me, both Cobra.

PŪR Wedges. I bought them on looks alone, but the Wide Low grind specifically has given me some amazing performance advantages, especially lofted shots around the green.

F7+ Driver. I had some great results with the Epic SubZero, but the F7+ is on another level for my swing. Paired with the Chrome+ I am getting more FIR and I have added a good amount of carry and roll when the head is set in the Weight Back orientation.

I haven't had the Epic SZ long enough to confidently add that to the list, and honestly with the feedback from the Grandaddy folks I'm not sure it'll qualify as a surprise anyway.

For me so far I'd say it's the King LTD 4-5 wood. I was actually looking for the baffler, and put in a late night (post-beers) ebay bid. I managed to snag it for less than $100, and so far it's been longer and straighter than the 3 wood I had in the bag. It has me seriously pondering adding a 3-4 to play at 13*.

I've also been really happy with the PUR wedges. They'd also qualify as a surprise because I had just picked up a set of Vokeys late last year. They sure didn't spend much time in the bag...

Without fanfare? Two-way tie.

Ping G30 5 wood - dependable distance and forgiveness at a great price point.

Odyssey Works Versa 2-Ball Fang Tank Cruiser putter - may yet knock the SeeMore out of the bag. It just feels comfortable and delivers good results.

Ping Sigma Ketch B... the things rolls really well, and has a lot of heft for a putter with such a small footprint. The alignment is pretty ingenious too, IMO

Mine play into eachother:

The most surprising is how my Works #7ch paired with the Tour SNSR 140cc straight has gotten to be the perfect putter for me. Im rolling the ball better than i have in the past with any putter.

On a negative side for me was just how the Toulon Madison didnt work for me. I wanted to love it and i was so excited when it showed up, but i felt lost with it on the course

RTX-3 CB wedges by far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole bag is new for me this year so I'd like to say all of it- however I'll narrow it down to two:

O-Works Fang- incredible putter that has just clicked for me. Fewer and fewer three putts which obviously help with scoring. I wasn't in the market for a putter this year as I was happy with my old White Hot, but rolled it at the store and went hmmm...that purchase has paid off.

X-Act Chipper- my struggles around the green from 30 yards and in has lessened with the addition of this club. I've mentioned in the actual thread for the club, but I sware it's saved me 5-8 strokes per round easily.

Honorable mention to the F7 courtesy of a shoulder tap, the club is a beast when I put a good swing on it, I'm just struggling to do so right now with any consistency. (definitely a case of the Indian's fault, and not the arrow)

While the RTX3 are good I won't say I was surprised simply due to all the positive feedback they got here prior to me picking them up. That said I have two that come to mind:

The 917 Fairway from Titleist is an excellent stick with look/feel/sound matching its performance. Probably the best of the very good 917 releases.

The Ping Sigma putters. Surprisingly good roll and feel from these. Plus I am a big fan of their stock grip offering. Probably the only stock putter grip out there I would want to game.

Miura KM-007 putter has exceeded expectations. I pondered this club for 3 or 4 months. It's my first milled faced putter. Previous putter was a Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line with White Hot insert. I liked the Odyssey putter but the Miura is superior...in my opinion.

f7 5/6 with hzrdus red. best fairway wood i've ever gamed and it's not close.

f7 5/6 with hzrdus red. best fairway wood i've ever gamed and it's not close.

I would argue it's even better with the Chrome+ but were splitting hairs :)

The Cobra F7 2/3 Hybrid. I knew it would be good but it's far exceeded my expectations so far. It's that good.

I would argue it's even better with the Chrome+ but were splitting hairs :)

i have that shaft too! elements chrome+ 6f4 was in my baffler. i should try it again in the f7.

Probably the ex10 beta 3w it shat all over every other 3w tested

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Probably the ex10 beta 3w it shat all over every other 3w tested

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
That sounds like a lot of cleanup

As of now it's my shaft in the driver. That may change come August when ping releases there new driver.

765 irons

I think it had plenty of fanfare, but for sure the O-Works putter. I just can't believe how well I putt with it.

~Rock

My 60* wedge has been a pleasant surprise so far. My chipping game has been on point this spring which has led to a lot of par saves. Now I just need to work on the other 13 clubs

For me its been the SM6 wedges. I am just so much more confident with them around the greens and out of bunkers. I actually don't mind being in the sand anymore with these clubs.

Cleveland Huntington Beach putters. Amazing, extraordinary value.

Cobra F6 and F7 irons. Great looks, sound, and distance. Definitely at the top four new irons for me.

Not a club, but the Srixon Q Star Tour ball changes how much we should be paying for a tour quality ball.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For me it's a no brainer. The Callaway EPIC Drivers have been awesome. I still have my Alpha 815 so I want to compare numbers, but I have been stupid long with EPIC using the same AD DI-6 shaft. A close second would be my O-Works putter. The Microhinge face insert is legit. The ball just rolls different.

Back