Grip weight --> Swingweight Is it a problem?

JMN57

Reaction score
Handicap
In flux
I need to regrip and am thinking of moving froma Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize to an Oversized Lamkin grip.

Generally, I wouldn't think a lot about the difference in weight between one grip and the next but the GPTV midsize weighs in at 53.5 grams while the Lamkin (REL ACE 3Gen) weigh in at 78 grams. That's a 25 gram difference. I could go with the GPTV Jumbo which is only 61 grams for a 7-8 gram difference but I would like to try the Lamkin ACE grip/material.

Anybody with some thoughts as to whether that weight difference is an issue?

I heard once that every 5g you add to the grip weight you lose 1 swingweight. So going from 53.5 to 78 will decrease your swingweight by 5 points.

I heard once that every 5g you add to the grip weight you lose 1 swingweight. So going from 53.5 to 78 will decrease your swingweight by 5 points.

Exactly - my rule of thumb is 1 sw/4 gram but either way that's a lot of swingweight change. Personally I wouldn't sweat +/- 10 grams but looking at 25 I'm wondering if that's too much.

I am of the opinion, and others are free to disagree, that a heavier grip affects static swingweight, but not dynamic swingweight. You are placing your hands onto a grip with varying pressure, Jack even used lead tape on the grip as a counterweight, as do other pros. I've used counterweights and use them in drivers and a few fairways and hybrids to tinker. I'd go with the grip you like.

Interesting fact... the gp tour wraps I like, the white ones are 7g heavier than the black ones. Why?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Are you just posting links to your own blog? Using THP to promote yourself? Seems legit.

If your set is at or near standard length, and in balance now, for example, of a swing weight about D2 , I would re grip with a model that is as near as possible to your current grip's weight.

Back