Apex cf16 distance

Spikes

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys. This is my first posting. I am an 8 handicap and been as low as a 2. Have taken many lessons over the years. Worked on my game etc.
i just got a set of apex cf16 replacing my Mizuno JPX 825 pros. Mizuno shaft was true temper XP. Apex shafts are Project x 5.5 shafts. The 5 - 9 iron distances are as advertised - 1 club longer. Suspiciously my wedge to lob wedge are exactly 1 club shorter. Has anyone experienced this issue.
I am disappointed with the shorter distance. I would be happy with same yardage that I had with my JPX. The lofts on both brand wedges are identical. Perhaps lofts are off?
JPX distances : Wedge 128 - 134, GW 118 - 122, SW 105 - 112, LW 88 - 92
Callaway are 10 - 12 yds shorter (stock PW & AW, MD3 56 & 60)
thanks guys

I'd have the lofts checked. That much shorter seems odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apex cf16 distance

I have had similar issue with my CF16 AW since day one. I gained about a half club with every other iron but the AW actually lost a few yards from my older XR pro AW. I've considered picking up an old XR pro AW but I have just dealt with it so far by trying to avoid that distance. I haven't had the loft checked but I may do that first, let me know if your lofts end up being off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely have the lofts checked as WCBM mentioned above. Same thing happened to me and the lofts were a bit off (probably because I had the lies adjusted).

I find that the PW/AW plays more like a regular wedge - if I hit down and compress it well, I get the distance I expect to. If I thin it, it penalizes me more than the GI irons I've played in the past have.

That could be compounded by lofts being off.

Best bet is to check the lofts first. If not that, maybe the shafts are the next thing to start considering even if it's just one that needs to change.

I had lofts checked and appear to be correct. I lost distance on the most important scoring clubs. I don't get it. I went from mizuno JPX 825 pro which are not the most forgiving to a more forgiving iron. Man this is making me sick. So much for the intensive fitting program I went through.

Sorry to hear it. I did encounter similar with my set's matching AW but it was a loft issue when I had all of the lofts and lie-angles checked.

What I have noticed with my set is that although I'm a club longer throughout the set, if I go after 5-7, I can get some tremendous distance at times. Not so with 8 iron down.

Not sure if it's merely due to loft and spin or the cup-face in 7 iron up, or both to some degree.

Are you seeing this in the other wedges or just the Apex? If it's both the specialized wedges as well as the MD3 I'd suggest it's a setup issue or something - maybe you're setting up with an open face and presenting more loft or something without realizing it. Do you think quality of strike is the same?

It could be a swing issue. I've been struggling with hitting the pitching wedge and gap wedge too far. Fix for me was to make some swing adjustments.

Hey Peterson
It is the stock PW & AW & MacDaddy 56 & 60.
I had true temper XP 117g shaft in my Mizuno PW & AW, True Temper Spinner shafts in SW & LW.
My ApeX shafts are Project x 5.5 115 g shafts MD 56 SW Dynamic S300 MD 60 LW dynamic wedge shaft

Hey Peterson
It is the stock PW & AW & MacDaddy 56 & 60.
I had true temper XP 117g shaft in my Mizuno PW & AW, True Temper Spinner shafts in SW & LW.
My ApeX shafts are Project x 5.5 115 g shafts MD 56 SW Dynamic S300 MD 60 LW dynamic wedge shaft

That's really odd, since the design of the Apex AW and the MD3 are so different (low CG vs higher CG). How many rounds do you have on the new clubs?

It could be a swing issue. I've been struggling with hitting the pitching wedge and gap wedge too far. Fix for me was to make some swing adjustments.

With all the clubs and options out there I stubbornly refuse to specifically alter my swing to make a club work better.
Just my opinion of course but any time we are changing our swing to fit a set of clubs we are hurting our game more than helping in the long run.

I will say that I don't notice as big of gains in my scoring irons as I do with the 4-8... but they blend well, and I will say that they aren't shorter than other wedge sets that i've gamed.
4-8i= about 1 club longer
9i=AW a few yards longer to about even with what I would expect

With all the clubs and options out there I stubbornly refuse to specifically alter my swing to make a club work better.
Just my opinion of course but any time we are changing our swing to fit a set of clubs we are hurting our game more than helping in the long run.

I agree with you, though in my case I was blaming the clubs until I brought out my old set and confirmed the problem was me. The low spin nature of these contributed, but the problem was much more me than it was the equipment and I needed to fix the me part of the problem.

I think the issue may be the shafts. I have the Project x 5.5 in them. I am 1 club longer 5 - 8 iron. these irons are all 2˚ more loft - that explains the extra distance. The 9 - LW are the same lofts as my JPX.
My Mizuno JPX pro 825 had True Temper XP stiff in them my 9 - LW were a club longer than my new Apex.
When I hit these APEX they feel great. Explosive off the face. If i am not hitting these well, the club masks poor hits. I am hitting them solid. They launch beautifully. I dont get it. Costly error.
Any thoughts or comments.

I think the issue may be the shafts. I have the Project x 5.5 in them. I am 1 club longer 5 - 8 iron. these irons are all 2˚ more loft - that explains the extra distance. The 9 - LW are the same lofts as my JPX.
My Mizuno JPX pro 825 had True Temper XP stiff in them my 9 - LW were a club longer than my new Apex.
When I hit these APEX they feel great. Explosive off the face. If i am not hitting these well, the club masks poor hits. I am hitting them solid. They launch beautifully. I dont get it. Costly error.
Any thoughts or comments.

I just bought and returned my cf16 with ust recoil 760es. I ordered the apex pro with ust recoil 95/110 instead. Cf16 feels soft-ish but sound quite harsh, it's distracting. The distance is not noticeable between my razr XF. It's about half a club longer than my razr x forged with px 5.5.

I like the club performance in pretty much every way, the offset is pleasing to the eye. Long irons performance were pretty good but I was expecting longer distance than my existing set. Since it's not the case I'd rather play with the set that feels better.

As for your distance on AW, I'd give it time. A few more rounds or range sessions may change your mind. I usually can hit shorter irons longer if/when needed if I have confidence in that club.

Hey guys.
I thought I would let you know some more results. I went back to golf town where I bought the clubs. They put me on the simulator. The results showed the gaps between clubs are correct. The pro hit them and my and his yard ages were almost identical.
8 iron 155-160
9 iron 142 -147
W 130 -137
A 118 -122
SW 105-110
LW 90 -95
I'm getting these numbers indoors but not on course starting with 9 iron down. 5 - 8 are good

Hey guys. This is my first posting. I am an 8 handicap and been as low as a 2. Have taken many lessons over the years. Worked on my game etc.
i just got a set of apex cf16 replacing my Mizuno JPX 825 pros. Mizuno shaft was true temper XP. Apex shafts are Project x 5.5 shafts. The 5 - 9 iron distances are as advertised - 1 club longer. Suspiciously my wedge to lob wedge are exactly 1 club shorter. Has anyone experienced this issue.
I am disappointed with the shorter distance. I would be happy with same yardage that I had with my JPX. The lofts on both brand wedges are identical. Perhaps lofts are off?
JPX distances : Wedge 128 - 134, GW 118 - 122, SW 105 - 112, LW 88 - 92
Callaway are 10 - 12 yds shorter (stock PW & AW, MD3 56 & 60)
thanks guys

Interesting observation...
I switched my CF16 PW and AW for my Steelhead PW and AW for a different reason, but noticed that they were longer... thought it was just me. I actually have a midsize grip on the Steelheads, which feels more comfortable with the higher lofted clubs and didn't want to re-grip my CF16's.

Back