Keeping Clubs Versus Selling or Trading In

I think I have five sets of irons in the garage and various Woods/hybrids.

Who wants some rusted irons!?

I think I have five sets of irons in the garage and various Woods/hybrids.

Who wants some rusted irons!?

I sold a set of Big Bertha 2004 irons for $60 about 5 years ago to a friend. He never played. I bought them back as a back up set for when I find a way to sell my Apex. I paid $60 for them back. I did get all of my money back on some Ping GMax last year with they had the extra 50% bonus on trade. I don't think Mizuno will be doing that any time soon.

I just bought 3 Wilson D300 hybrids for $149 each on eBay (retail $199 each). Really do not care for them but trade in is $48 each. None sold on eBay since early May. So I will just keep them and hope for the best.
I'm confused by this post.

I'm only on my second set of clubs, I keep the old set for buddies who might want to play. When I do finally have an extra set I couldn't imagine charging any money for them and would likely give them away.

Kind of went through both recently. So I bought a Cleveland classic bronze 1 putter back when they came out because I loved that it matched the cg15 sand wedge I won. It was ok, but the more and more I played with it this year coming back to golf the more I hated it. I literally left after my round and traded it in towards a new odyssey...I then had remorse 3 weeks later when my odyssey putter broke because I was scheduled to play 4 rounds that week and Callaway wasn't going to overnight me something.

Last edited:
I'm not to sentimental when it comes to clubs. When they stop working like they should there gone. Usually try to unload before the value drops. If value has dropped to low I give them to the club for the junior program or to the 1st Tee.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I buy the majority of my clubs used and at least a generation old, so they aren't usually even worth selling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Depends. I have a few clubs I'll keep for nostalgia purposes, and then some where once they've outlived their usefulness, they gone!

I tend to hold on to them since they are worth more as a spare set lying around than the $20 I'll get. I'll either give them to friends who are looking to get into the game or keep them around for people coming into town or when the wife wants to play.

I have never understood the need for a 'spare set' until last weekend when my clubs were being worked on and it was gorgeous outside. Think this set of irons may stay whenever I get around to a new set...

I have never understood the need for a 'spare set' until last weekend when my clubs were being worked on and it was gorgeous outside. Think this set of irons may stay whenever I get around to a new set...
I'm keeping a spare set so that way if I have a friend/co-worker who wants to learn or doesn't have their own, they can just use my extra set.

I still am pissed I gave up my Ping G5 which is probably 3h distance for me now lol...

I keep some clubs that have sentimental value and I trade ones in that I'm all set with and didn't work out.

I hoard clubs. Just prior to moving out east my better half convinced me to sell most of the clubs and bags that I wasn't using any longer. The majority of items ended up being donated to junior golf and charity auctions. It's funny but it's easier for me to donate my stuff rather than sell it. Definitely strange but true.

However, since moving here I've collected a few more sets (G-Max, CF16's, z565's) which I still occasionally use but they are mostly used by our friends and family who come down for a visit. There is something available for all golfing levels. :D

I generally keep a backup set. Also can lend it to a buddy in town without his... I gave away my old wedges after two rounds with the new ones to a good friend who never gets new stuff. He gives me awesome cooking advice and is a fun golf partner. Still regretted it the next day... suddenly seemed too soo.

Other clubs have gone to my son, my dad, or guys new to the game. My uncles set me up with hand-me-downs when I started so its kind of a pay it forward. I did sell my first new to me set Wilson Ultra's or whatever, Driver thru wedge but only because the person insisted on paying...

I do all three. Keep clubs, sell clubs, and trade clubs. Plus a fourth: I give them away. I looked in my dads bag the other day: driver, hybrid, and putter were all from my bag.

For me it all depends on where the club came from and what it's worth to either sell or trade it.

Just the other day I traded in two Cleveland smartsoles and a v series heavenwood for a gps watch. Individually, it would not have been worth it to trade the clubs in, but combined, the watch ended up costing me $2. So $2 for a watch I'll use every round was worth giving up the two wedges I've haven't used in three years and the fairway wood that I haven't used yet this year.

I never hold onto anything, I tried to rid off all of my extras.

I have regretted selling two things in my life and that is the SeeMore DB4x and Ping i20s.

Hate to see stuff laying around and move it as soon as it leaves the bag, golf equipment has never been and never will be an investment in anything but fun.

I'm such an equipment wh@#e that I move clubs a lot. I do keep a set of irons (ping eye) for company. One of the good things about living in Utah is we have this resale site called KSL classified. People can put any thing on it and it is a free market selling. It is very popular. Currently there are 1,495 items in the golf section. I peruse it everyday of my life.

Waiting on someone to sell a heavenwood.

Clubs from events are kept, everything i purchase myself is usually sold or traded if im not gaming them

I keep all my clubs especially drivers because sometimes i'll go back to a previous driver if i feel a slump with the one i'm playing.
plus i took old irons, putters,woods, etc. and created a set that i let family & friends use when they visit so we can play.

Back