Hitting irons off the toe

GolfFest

#DriveFor5
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Time
I've had a little issue lately where I am having trouble finding the sweet spot with the irons, I am missing out on the toe. I think the face angle and path are fine as the flight is mostly straight or a slight draw but it sometimes is a little too low spin or not quite getting the height and it ends up long. Marks on the club face show it out on the toe, it is clear where on the face the impact is.

I'll try and get video at some point, but anything I should be looking for?

That happens to me from time to time and it is because I end up standing too far away from the ball.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

That happens to me from time to time and it is because I end up standing too far away from the ball.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I've read that, and I have also read in other places that standing too close can cause it. That having the ball a little further out can fix it. I'm not sure what to think there.

Are your arms hanging from your shoulders or are you extending them out to the ball?

At address hanging from my shoulders.

Then you aren't standing too far from the ball. Your spinning out and the club is lagging behind and moving left. This accounts for the toe side strikes, lower ball flight and slight draw.

Work behind the ball and keep the club in front of your body not behind. Work on your tempo.

Turning to watch the shot, a micro-second too soon, is the easiest way to produce a toe hit. The club gets pulled in by the up and back (though slight) movement of the upper body. Good strikers maintain their posture thru the hit/contact area.

The definitely helped. Contact was closer to center and I liked what I saw with the ball flight. Unfortunately driver contact was a little more towards the heel so I need to keep an eye on that.

Back