Samsung QLED TV's

Plasma TV's have been the gold standard for videophiles for a very long time. The top tier UHD OLED's finally caught up and in few models over $6,000, have surpassed the best plasma TV's with black levels and picture quality just in the last couple years. I have a couple 65VT60 Panasonic plasmas from 2012 and honestly have no reason to replace them as the best of the new UHD OLED's are only slightly better. The limiting factor in my home is the quality of the DirecTV signal(which is better than the cable signal my neighbors have) as I rarely watch a 4K Blu-Ray movie at home.

My next TV will be one of the new 4k projection TVs, probably one from JVC or Sony. I've recently seen the amazing picture quality they can project on a 120" screen and was very impressed. If you have the space, nothing is more realistic for sports or movies than a 10 foot image in 4K.

This is exactly why I have not replaced my 65VT60, great PQ and lack of quality everyday 4K content. I even spent money of hardware/software to calibrate the plasma. Speaking of that, it has probably been a year or so since I have checked the calibration...

8k tv's are not even close to being produced. 8k sports recordings are being done for archival reasons. Recording them in 8k now will allow the content to be shown when viewing the historical programs in 8k later when tv tech is different from today. When we watch an old golf show today, it's in 4.3, low res, this is something broadcasters want to prevent in the future. This Is the information i heard from a few of the tech podcasts I listen to, it makes sense.

8K sets were shown at CES the last two years. Heck Sharp showed one back in 2012.
According to two manufacturers (NHK and Sharp), they can release 8k by early next year. Will they? Not yet, but my gut says by 2019 we see consumer sets available.

Its not taking away anything that someone bought, just that those of us that have been burned in the past, are more hesitant to jump until it all shakes out.
I can say without any hesitation though, that recording today in 8k is not only for archival purposes...

8K sets were shown at CES the last two years. Heck Sharp showed one back in 2012.
According to two manufacturers (NHK and Sharp), they can release 8k by early next year. Will they? Not yet, but my gut says by 2019 we see consumer sets available.

Its not taking away anything that someone bought, just that those of us that have been burned in the past, are more hesitant to jump until it all shakes out.
I can say without any hesitation though, that recording today in 8k is not only for archival purposes...

Of course it's not only for archival reasons, but you can't watch it anywhere now. Like I have expressed before, the resolution isn't what makes TV's good although it's big factor, but the design of the panel, how the pixels open and close making the light more accurate and the High Dynamic Range technology. What we need is more content being filmed in HDR and more broadcasting availability, then it would be worth buying a tv for those on the fence.

8k TV at CES is diff in my opinion then actually being produced for us. A couple years is prob right.

I just found out the LG OLED I ordered is no longer available from that retailer. Unbelievable, I am back to square one and I am not going to find a deal like that anywhere again.

I am seriously considering ordering the QLED straight from Samsung. I get a great deal through my corporate perks, I have a serious affinity for Samsung, my phone will pair with it perfectly, and it looks like a great TV.

I just found out the LG OLED I ordered is no longer available from that retailer. Unbelievable, I am back to square one and I am not going to find a deal like that anywhere again.

I am seriously considering ordering the QLED straight from Samsung. I get a great deal through my corporate perks, I have a serious affinity for Samsung, my phone will pair with it perfectly, and it looks like a great TV.

Costco and Sams club both have the Samsung And Lg. I also suggest contacting Video Only and speak to a manager, ask for a discount, they do it all the time.

Costco and Sams club both have the Samsung And Lg. I also suggest contacting Video Only and speak to a manager, ask for a discount, they do it all the time.

Unfortunately where I live we don't have a Costco anywhere near us, our Sams Club only carries the Samsung and the closest Best Buy is 1 hour away. Welcome to small town USA!

I got my QLED from Samsung this past week and wow. This TV is unbelievable, despite not being an OLED it is in the upper class of TV's in my opinion. I have never seen a picture with as sharp of contrast, brightness, and amazing color as this one. The black levels are also incredible, which is typically the issue with a back lit LED, not this thing. If you are in the market for a new TV, I would take a good look at the QLED. Compare it to an OLED and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I got my QLED from Samsung this past week and wow. This TV is unbelievable, despite not being an OLED it is in the upper class of TV's in my opinion. I have never seen a picture with as sharp of contrast, brightness, and amazing color as this one. The black levels are also incredible, which is typically the issue with a back lit LED, not this thing. If you are in the market for a new TV, I would take a good look at the QLED. Compare it to an OLED and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

As the owner of a 65" LG OLED I will take your word for it :)

Back