Is this a common with people you play with

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I often play with a golfer who is always in a hurry. He constantly says; "lets hurry up" but I ignore him and tell him, the only thing that's gonna happen if we hurry to the extent you are asking is that all we will do will be to push those ahead of us who are playing at a normal pace. And then I remind him in these situations, that "hurry up" only means we will hurry up and be waiting on the group ahead of us. Yet this guy never quits with his hurry up mentality. One last note about this guy, he often wonders why he can't get his HC below 26. I know he could do it if he just exercised some patience

Last edited:
How many in your group?

How long does it take you to finish 18 holes?

Is the group behind you ever waiting on you?

I often play with a golfer who is always in a hurry. He constantly says; "lets hurry up" but I ignore him and tell him, the only thing that's gonna happen if we hurry to the extent you are asking is that all we will doing is pushing those ahead of us who are playing at a normal pace. And then I remind him in these situations, that "hurry up" only means we will hurry up and be waiting on the group ahead of us. Yet this guy never quits with his hurry up mentality. One last note about this guy, he often wonders why he can't get his HC below 26. I know he could do it if he just exercised some patience

Everyone I play with tells me to "take my time" because I try to always hustle to be ready to play my shot; I hate when others have to wait for me. But you're right, patience is part of the game I am learning and my playing is improving as a result.

Hurry up to wait?? Why? Talk some sense into this guy ... golf is supposed to be relaxing

Hurry up to wait?? Why? Talk some sense into this guy ... golf is supposed to be relaxing

Agree with this. As long as everyone is playing purposeful ready golf nobody ever needs to "hurry".

I know a guy like this. He always wants to play in under 4 hours even though that is an unrealistic goal most of the time. Every time I ask how his round was he tells me how long the round was before he mentions how he played. My score is far more important to me than the time it took to play the round.

He is also like this off the course. Always in a hurry no matter the situation. I don't understand the rush to get though life.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

There is a difference between hurrying and playing quickly. As long as your ready to play your shot when it's your turn, there is no need to hurry beyond that. Unless of course it's 102 degrees out and you have 36 holes slated for that day. Then you may want to move a little bit faster than normal.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to relax to the tune of a 5 hour round (nor do I want to play behind that group) but if all you're going out to do is play as fast a round of golf as you can, then that would get old real fast.

Sometimes when I'm playing in twilight rates, I like to keep a good pace so that I can try and get 36 in but I'm never in what I would call a rush. I play a lot as a single and I understand that I'll be waiting on groups eventually so I try to keep a decent attitude about it. The groups that piss me off are the ones that take 20 minutes to play one hole and don't invite you to play through.

I know a guy like this. He always wants to play in under 4 hours even though that is an unrealistic goal most of the time. Every time I ask how his round was he tells me how long the round was before he mentions how he played. My score is far more important to me than the time it took to play the round.

He is also like this off the course. Always in a hurry no matter the situation. I don't understand the rush to get though life.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

There is a guy in my group, that when you ask him what he shot, he will answer "3 hours and 15 minutes" He is more concerned about getting through the round than enjoying the round. But then again, maybe that's what it takes for him TO enjoy the round. I have played with him and he doesn't push our group, he settles in and keeps with the flow of the round, but we all are pretty fast players.

Not common with me, but it has occurred.

Two options - find another playing partner; or tell him our job is to stay a shot behind the other guys. Otherwise, we're busting our balls for nothing. Let's enjoy the game.

If you're keeping pace and in good position, that can get annoying...but I've played behind plenty of groups that I wish had this kind of guy in them haha.

Unfortunately, most slow groups have no idea how slow they are.

I've never had any in my group tell me to hurry up. If anything, I'm usually waiting on them. I don't see any sense in hurrying through a round. It'd just promote bad shots and as mentioned, waiting on the group in front of you.

The only time I ever do this is when I have the kids in tow. When we are walking 9, I try to make sure they aren't doing what kids do and meander their way around. I make sure we keep pace, which means always telling them to "Hurry Up!!" That being said, I also always let groups that come up behind us play through.

How many in your group?

How long does it take you to finish 18 holes?

Is the group behind you ever waiting on you?

Four in our group
3 1/2 hours for 18
Unless those ahead of us are playing super slow, those behind us are rarely or never waiting on us

There is a difference between hurrying and playing quickly. As long as your ready to play your shot when it's your turn, there is no need to hurry beyond that. Unless of course it's 102 degrees out and you have 36 holes slated for that day. Then you may want to move a little bit faster than normal.

Who has two thumbs and tries to play 36 holes in 102 degree heat??? SMH

To be honest though, it was an exceptionally good and memorable time.

That's called Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for me. Haha

It was a fun Day Phil, can't wait to play again. Soon brother, soon.....

Not common with me, but it has occurred.

Two options - find another playing partner; or tell him our job is to stay a shot behind the other guys. Otherwise, we're busting our balls for nothing. Let's enjoy the game.

Option one won't happen - the guy is the 4th on my league team. Option 2 is what I have been employing but it goes in one ear and out the other. And finally, I agree, the main thing is to enjoy the game which is easy to do as long as I continue to ignore the guy

I don't think I know anyone who "hurries" like this. Seems peculiar

There is a difference between hurrying and playing quickly.

This exactly. A buddy and I routinely play late day rounds where we get in 2.5hr - 3hr rounds without much effort. We never hurry or rush, we just happen to play purposeful ready golf.

Last edited:
Hit your "Hurried" Shot into the junk and spend 10 mins looking for it!

:banghead:

Dude must be ex military. That's there motto. 'Hurry up and wait".

I hate to wait to hit but sometimes that's just the way it is. Play ready golf and converse on the way to your ball, not when you should be hitting your ball.

Only thing I ever concern myself with is I prefer when the group I'm in plays ready golf. Could careless what the time it takes for the thought process and/or what pre-shot routine is for the guys I play with. If it takes the guy and extra 20-30 seconds to get into his shot then so be it.

Only pet-peeve is when someone can go, but because they are 1 yard closer but waits for the guy still looking for his ball to go. That just slows the whole group up IMO.

Back