Need help on full swing improvement....totally frustrated!!

bill154

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all. I'm wondering what learning method / philosophy / instructor people find the most successful.

I've read about all the golf books out there...Ballard, Jacobs, Nick Price, Leadbetter, S&T. I've taken lesson from numerous instructors with various philosophies (TGM, etc). I don't think I've improved from my 14 index in 10 years. My scores are always 87-93. I love the game, but I've reached a level of frustration like none other! I'm 43 and not getting any younger.

I have the time, resources, and commitment to improve. Seems like I just can't get better. Here are my "requirements":
  1. concise instruction - not too technical
  2. doesn't require extreme athleticism or flexibility
  3. don't really care about insane distance...just want to hit solid and accurately

Please, please help me! I've dedicated so much time and money to this game....I don't want to quit!

I have no opinions to offer... but I will be watching this post as I have hit a plateau and have started to slide quickly down hill.

Need a video of your swing. Our resident guru will get you good.

What part of the game is hurting your ability to go lower? To many putts/round, shots from inside 100, inconsistent ball striking?

What part of the game is hurting your ability to go lower? To many putts/round, shots from inside 100, inconsistent ball striking?

My short game is decent...putting is, too. Inconsistent ball striking is the culprit. Too many lost balls, blocks, etc.

I know I am guilty of early extension...

Fred is a nice guys here that can help. If your looking for a golf program, i would choose one a TPI local pro told me about . Elitegolfperformance.com. It's kinda a big commitment , both $ and time. But this online teacher really builds some great golfers if you want to learn more about it

he is pretty big on one on one. And encourages your videos and feedback to develop lesson plans specifically around your needs

Hi all. I'm wondering what learning method / philosophy / instructor people find the most successful.

I've read about all the golf books out there...Ballard, Jacobs, Nick Price, Leadbetter, S&T. I've taken lesson from numerous instructors with various philosophies (TGM, etc). I don't think I've improved from my 14 index in 10 years. My scores are always 87-93. I love the game, but I've reached a level of frustration like none other! I'm 43 and not getting any younger.

I have the time, resources, and commitment to improve. Seems like I just can't get better. Here are my "requirements":
  1. concise instruction - not too technical
  2. doesn't require extreme athleticism or flexibility
  3. don't really care about insane distance...just want to hit solid and accurately

Please, please help me! I've dedicated so much time and money to this game....I don't want to quit!

I'm in the same boat as you. Basically a bogey golfer for the last 10 yrs. I'm just adopted the very vertical Don Trahan swing this summer and love it! I'm playing the best "ball striking" golf of my life. As soon as I get my short game to catch up to my improved full swing.....the skies the limit! I'm very excited about my golf game at the moment.

Fred is a nice guys here that can help. If your looking for a golf program, i would choose one a TPI local pro told me about . Elitegolfperformance.com. It's kinda a big commitment , both $ and time. But this online teacher really builds some great golfers if you want to learn more about it

he is pretty big on one on one. And encourages your videos and feedback to develop lesson plans specifically around your needs
That's a dead link.

how long have stayed with any one instructor? rome wasn't built in a day, so lessons are a big commitment, not only financially but also practice time and giving the new moves the opportunity to sink in and become "natural" to you.

just remember that golf is hard. like, really hard. if you're able to break 90, you're in an upper echelon of most amateurs. after that, be realistic about what tees you should be playing, and then work on course management. if driver gets you in trouble, consider more woods or hybrids off tees. lay up to comfortable yardages on par 5s instead of going for the green in 2 when there are hazards around. play for the middle of greens and take a two-putt par.

and if you don't already, start tracking your stats to see whether there are any predictors for scoring well vs blowing up, then tailor your lessons and practice to improve that.

Hi. You can't be hitting that bad if your handicap is 14. What about your full swing do you feel bad about? Does it have a few quirks that you want to fix or your swing needs a total overhaul? I changed my swing a couple of years ago, and it was not easy. During the swing change my scores went up before they got better. Reading from many sources may only confuse if they do not complement each other. It depends mo how much time and effort you would want to invest in improving. If you've got the time, you can build your swing yourself. If you don't, maybe a pro can help you. There's really no one method that we can pick up because our bodies are different. It helps if you understand the physics of the golf swing and how the body creates power to do am efficient golf swing. Understanding the physics will provide a good foundation for your swing, both physically and mentally. I hope this helps.

I was in the same boat, shooting over 100 constantly.

Then I took a few lessons on grip, and a one piece takeaway, and within a year I was beating 90. Still with my Over the Top swing. Then my game stagnated as the fundamental problem was the swing plane, or rather lack there of. I was told by quite a few golfers, that my game probably would never improve from where it was unless I made the switch on my swing (not including short game).

So I took some lessons, and after my game getting way worse, it started to get better with lots of practice. I still have alot of work to do, but my swing is now more on plane, or slightly from the inside. This got me scoring in the low 80's.

Now I'm working on making solid contact (never better in my life), and Tempo, tempo, tempo. This has reduced significantly the number of duffs I make, other than the odd "strategic fat", lol. Since I've been working on this, I'm almost always scoring in the low 80's, and have shot my life's best 77. Consistency is still a concern as by my weekend score of 47/37 =84. 10 strokes difference on back 9, hehe. So still got alot of work to do.

I would suggest seeing a pro, as I wasted alot of years trying to sort this out myself. So for myself, taking lessons basically cost me around the same as a new driver, and is the best money I spent on golf. Should have done this years ago, as I am 41 now. Never too late, just don't wait too long, or you'll have regrets like me.

Back