Fun with Chips - Jman's Ball Testing Fun w/ Foresight and THP

Awesome work here Jman, some surprising numbers. Would love to see how the Qstar tours fit in the mix. Thanks.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

This is some great info. Thanks for the time you spent gathering the data. Even though it was fun I'm sure.

Great and useful data get me all hot . . . .

Thanks all! Really pumped people are enjoying this, it was a lot of fun (and organized chaos to test) and with the free time I've got right now it seemed like something really cool to dig into for the forum not just for the data, but with what these Foresight units are capable. Some very very cool things are going to occur in the future with the writers having these in hand.

This is exactly the kind of data I'll come back to over and over. No crappy Golf Digest spin chart that was probably affected by ad bucks. Just real Jman data. I am a data geek on balls and would love you to carry this out all the way to the driver somehow. Now if you could figure out how to swing the exact same speed as I do with the driver, that would tell me exactly which ball I need to be playing. Super stoked to see more. As they say, the most important club in the bag is the ball.

Great data for sure! Thank you.

Just curious - which club did you use and did any of these balls susprised you?

Surlyn balls will always spin less in short shots and the further you get away from the green the cover matters less (in terms of spin) and compression will begin to dictate that number.

this bears repeating often and loudly. really is one of the more mind-blowing equipment things i've learned on thp.

@jman what a great test! really interesting stuff and certainly helps us make ball decisions. after all, we should start around the green and work back. thanks for doing this and posting the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great data for sure! Thank you.

Just curious - which club did you use and did any of these balls susprised you?

60* is always my go to for this shot type, its a staple of my game.

The RXS shocked me, a lot, but the biggest surprise really was the Cut Blue. Its why even though I put this exact data in that thread, I decided to put it out here too because no one seemed to be looking in there all that much.

Great work, love all the data?

Is the 330-S the highest compression of the line? I always thought the S stood for soft haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Such a cool idea Jman. Some great numbers shown as well. Im not that up with launch monitor numbers so can i ask what the last number is/means on each ball?

Such a cool idea Jman. Some great numbers shown as well. Im not that up with launch monitor numbers so can i ask what the last number is/means on each ball?

i think it's descent angle. the higher the number, the steeper the landing. think flop shot (high da) vs punch shot (low da). kind of interesting how the design of the golf ball can dictate launch and descent angle assuming identical contact and swing mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may just be me, but at least for the urethane balls, aren't the differences negligible, at least to the human eye? I mean, the spread is like 150rpm on a 10 yard chip shot. Does that equate to much difference in bite/rollout?

But as long as you are doing this *cough*, I would totally love to see this data on a 45 yard pitch shot. My course is all short game, and so control of the ball from that awesome 35-60 yard range is crucial.

~Rock

Think Jman mentioned above that he likely will be doing from 50 yards too.
And I too am curious about your "bite/rollout" Q.

So James, can we assume that higher spin and DA were the quickest to check up? Was there a measurable difference in rollout from best to worst (though they all look close data-wise)??

Just did something similar yesterday with a 58*, at about 10-15 yards - visual w/o monitor trying the Q-Star Tour for 1st time. Was surprised at result. The Q was releasing quite a bit and Snell, Project(a) and ProV1 were all checking up great. Difference about 3-4' putt vs 10'+. FWIW I am generally not a high spin player but can spin stop a short wedge and get a "hopnstop" :)
from about 7i thru PW.

And finally, thanks for some very cool testing and data

The Cut Blue jumps out at me based on the price of that ball. I love that you had an Ionomer ball in there to show the differences. Since Bridgestone reworked the RX line last January, I've seen more spin out of the RX/RXS in to greens than I did on previous balls, and I've played that ball since the 2nd MC.

Alright so for someone who is a novice when it comes to the technicalities of golf such as this test, and thanks by the way, information overload for me but I like it.

The CS I play has a much lower spin rate than a few of those B330s, does that mean the B330 stops quicker and doesn't have as much roll out as the CS?

?...

So James, can we assume that higher spin and DA were the quickest to check up? Was there a measurable difference in rollout from best to worst (though they all look close data-wise)?? .....

BUMP
with partial quote from above

I've not forgotten about this! Its just been crazy! Still in the process of collecting the 15yd and 30 yd data, hope to lock down on that more this week now that school is settling down.

Added two balls to the chip test though, the Volvik S4 (Thank you Mark!!!!) and the '17 ProV1x. Going to try to get the V1 and Q-Star Tour in there soon too!

ADDED 9/11/2017:

Volvik S4 - 21 MPH - 32.4* LA - 2708 RPM - 1 YD Peak - 9 YD Carry - 33.2* DA

'17 Titleist ProV1x
- 22 MPH - 33.2* LA - 2674 RPM - 1 YD Peak - 8 YD Carry - 34.1* DA

FULL DATA is in the original post!

Think Jman mentioned above that he likely will be doing from 50 yards too.

So James, can we assume that higher spin and DA were the quickest to check up? Was there a measurable difference in rollout from best to worst (though they all look close data-wise)??

Just did something similar yesterday with a 58*, at about 10-15 yards - visual w/o monitor trying the Q-Star Tour for 1st time. Was surprised at result. The Q was releasing quite a bit and Snell, Project(a) and ProV1 were all checking up great. Difference about 3-4' putt vs 10'+. FWIW I am generally not a high spin player but can spin stop a short wedge and get a "hopnstop" :)
from about 7i thru PW.

And finally, thanks for some very cool testing and data

Yeah, the higher spin balls checked harder/quicker, which is expected on a test this close to the greens. Run out did extend as the spin dropped, with the ionomer ball releasing the most, sorry but I didn't measure that for each shot, it was pretty much in line with the drop in spin though, however the launch angled did effect it as well.

The Cut Blue jumps out at me based on the price of that ball. I love that you had an Ionomer ball in there to show the differences. Since Bridgestone reworked the RX line last January, I've seen more spin out of the RX/RXS in to greens than I did on previous balls, and I've played that ball since the 2nd MC.
It did me too. A lot lot honestly.

Alright so for someone who is a novice when it comes to the technicalities of golf such as this test, and thanks by the way, information overload for me but I like it.

The CS I play has a much lower spin rate than a few of those B330s, does that mean the B330 stops quicker and doesn't have as much roll out as the CS?

In theory, yes, it should. But there are always other factors to take into effect like LA for the individual.

Great stuff Jman!

Any chance you have a sleeve of the RX ball laying around that could be tested too?

Great stuff Jman!

Any chance you have a sleeve of the RX ball laying around that could be tested too?

I don't, but I can find some. I'll add them to the "to-do" list.

I don't, but I can find some. I'll add them to the "to-do" list.

Great data! Thanks for doing this.

Would you be able to test the Oncore Avant or Elixir. They're a Buffalo company and I'm curious how they'd stack up. Thanks

Great data! Thanks for doing this.

Would you be able to test the Oncore Avant or Elixir. They're a Buffalo company and I'm curious how they'd stack up. Thanks

I'll be honest, I've spent more of my own money on this than I intended to because of my own curiosity and wanting to give as much info to the people with the GC2 as I can. If I can eventually get a hold of some, I will happily put them up, but, I'm not sure I can actively seek them out at this moment.

I've not forgotten about this! Its just been crazy! Still in the process of collecting the 15yd and 30 yd data, hope to lock down on that more this week now that school is settling down.

Added two balls to the chip test though, the Volvik S4 (Thank you Mark!!!!) and the '17 ProV1x. Going to try to get the V1 and Q-Star Tour in there soon too!

ADDED 9/11/2017:

Volvik S4 - 21 MPH - 32.4* LA - 2708 RPM - 1 YD Peak - 9 YD Carry - 33.2* DA

'17 Titleist ProV1x
- 22 MPH - 33.2* LA - 2674 RPM - 1 YD Peak - 8 YD Carry - 34.1* DA

FULL DATA is in the original post!

Thanks for doing this Jman!
This type of info is so hard to find and it took a lot of time to do.
Next time I see you, Two "Pops" on me.....

what a great compare and thanks for sharing the body of work. Awesome stuff.

not that Im asking for you to do it....lol...but I for one would like to see more surlyn vs urethane comparos and also include total distance after roll out. I am looking for reason to use urethane vs my usual e6 and have done a few comparos playing other U balls along side my e6 and doing that for many rounds alternating hole to hole. I want to se what I might gain on the greens and honestly yet to notice anything that speaks loudly enough (at least for me) which says I need to use a U ball. My latest experiment in this quest has been with the chromesoft vs e6. I am liking the CS a lot, the feel off my clubs and dispersion on long shots and tee is imo good but yet again like other experiments playing side by side e6 vs a "u" ball Im not yet seeing a noticeable gain on the greens. Granted this latest experiment has only just began last 2 rounds and I have a lot more golf to go before reaching any conclusion as I alternate holes.

I just keep finding the e6 to check up no worse and/or as well as any the U balls ive tried thus far. And I don't mean one round but Ive done this through many rounds with the different balls so as to eliminate inconsistent play that would skew results. But through many rounds there are enough well played shots from all distances near and far to reach conclusion. And Ive yet to see a good play react all that different. Rollouts and checks are similar. I always end up with great ones with any ball or poorer ones with any the balls. Now this could mean that I simply do not generate enough spin to make much a difference anyway. And I assume neither do many mid and higher capped amateurs. But I have seen the difference when given balls spin more on longer shots and that part has a lot of worth as for taming dispersion. And thus far (through a number of these experiments) is still worth more to me than anby gain on the greens of which I have yet to see much of anyway.

Anyway I am going to continue my latest CS side by side vs e6 through more rounds and hopes to see something that really speaks to me. Thus far its just a bit too soon to draw conclusion having only been through 2 rounds of alternating balls every other hole. And with the autumn (cooler temps) upon us and the greens firming up I expect (if there is a noticeable difference) now will be the time it shows me something. But again ...if I don't then it is very possible I just don't generate enough spin greenside to mean much and therefore don't really gain from what a U ball can offer. At least not yet.

But I have to say I do really like the feel and sound of the CS as well as have little issue with dispersion. Thats something a couple other U balls (for me) became a bit too detrimental. So Im hoping I see something on the greens with the CS that speaks and says "hey" you need to switch from the e6. But only time and more rounds of golf will only tell. In the mean time I get to save some money..lol

P.S. I am sorry if steered off topic a little. But great thread and great work on the info given from Jman.

I'll be honest, I've spent more of my own money on this than I intended to because of my own curiosity and wanting to give as much info to the people with the GC2 as I can. If I can eventually get a hold of some, I will happily put them up, but, I'm not sure I can actively seek them out at this moment.

I could send you a sleeve of each if you were willing to test them.

Back