Swing Tips please (Videos)

Towelthief

Reaction score
Handicap
I have only been playing for about 10 months...have gotten my handicap down to a 22.6 from a steady 28 after I played with a guy that told me I was taking the club too far inside during my takeaway and to take it more parallel to the target line.

Anyway....my misses are FAT shots...big fades (like 15-30 yards off target line)...push slices (mostly with woods)...and the occasional hook.

My good shots are straight or have a slight fade...I rarely draw the ball.

Just looking for some tips...I would like to start my downswing with my hips more. I feel like I am starting with my hips and arms at the same time. I would also like to try and shallow out the club more and gain more wrist hinge at the top. These videos were shot on the first day I was trying to shallow the club out more in the backswing and get my hands more in line with my right shoulder at the top. Let me know your thoughts.

Note: The two different angles are two different balls/swings. Thanks for watching.

This is probably the longest drive I have ever hit at this range...I estimate it went around 265...it was glorious and dead straight.
Driver

• [video=youtube;8SFU4kka-jk]https://youtu.be/8SFU4kka-jk[/video]
  • [video=youtube;0nUR5-6bkII]https://youtu.be/0nUR5-6bkII[/video]

7 Iron

52 Degree wedge....my most consistent club..along with my 50.

First if all, I am by no means an expert or anywhere near it. It looks to me that you have a solid fundamental swing. The only thing I could see in your videos was possibly that ball position was a bit too far up in your stance for the 7 iron and 52* wedge. I believe that could contribute to the fat shots if the ball is positioned forward of the bottom of your swing.

If you ever want to take a short trip over to Thomasville to play, let me know.

Thanks for the post Sox Fan, I'll give it a shot. I position the ball about a balls length forward from the middle of my stance. I take pretty consistent divots in-front of the ball. I'll try backing it up.

This heat is killing me...use to be practicing 4-5 days a week....I try to get out twice a week now because of the heat...best times are morning or night.

I've noticed that my DTL views have me tilting forward ALOT on the backswing and coming back at impact but not to by address position.

Any thoughts on this? I don't see this movement in the tour players.

freddie should have some great insight for you.

i think you're really close. to my untrained eye, i don't see your shoulders leading the arms in the backswing; it looks to me like you are all arms with no weight shift. i think if you were to turn more, your upper body wouldn't fall forward as much, and you'd be able to initiate the downswing with the hips, dropping the club to the inside.

grab a club and place it across your chest, with your arms folded in an x across your chest to hold the club in place, hands resting on top of each opposite shoulder. get into your golf stance, and turn your shoulders into your backswing so that the club is pointing at or even behind the center of your stance. you should feel some stretch across your back, and it should feel like you're really turning into that flexed right knee.

the other thing i saw is at impact there isn't a full release of the club. it's more of a chicken wing. grab a club and flip it over so you're holding it just below the head, with the grip end pointing toward the ground. now make a swing, listening for the "swish" sound. try to build up speed without losing balance, making "swish" sound louder and louder. the loudest "swish" swings will be with a full release. step into a ball and don't worry where it goes, just try to make a swing for a loud "swish" sound.

I don't see the weight shift either.
This can definitely cause fat shots.
The hitting right/fade/slices are more to do with face angle at impact and the overall swing path.

For a guy with only been playing 10months. I think swing looks good. I've seen people with 10years plus playing time with worst swing than yours. Including myself. I've always believe in quality range time than volume range time. I'm no expert but I have better practice when I work on one thing at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back Swing is fine Wrist hinge fine . You don't squat much on the down swing . I see an ever so slight chicken wing post impact that you seem to somewhat fix. Most noticeable in the 7 Iron Swing. The still picture in that video shows it's ever to slight. SO your body must stop rotating right there. That's losing you some power and is usually a result of not enough shoulder turn in sink with the arms. Arms are out racing the body slightly. Left handed swings attempting to whip the club thru with the left shoulder and arm would give you the correct feel. In short your swing looks pretty good. But you need to sink the Arms and Body a little better. You definitely don't need more wrists . Get yourself a Tour Striker SMART BALL. They are $42.00. You'll see with using it that your arms and body aren't quite in sink. Close though. If you think you don't have enough wrist hinge now wait until you try that smart ball. I assure you it's your issue. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Swing should start with a slight squat . Your legs look to stiff . Your should feel like thru the swing you are jumping up. But your legs don't bend so nowhere to jump. That smart ball forces you to use more legs and Body.

Last edited:
I have only been playing for about 10 months...have gotten my handicap down to a 22.6 from a steady 28 after I played with a guy that told me I was taking the club too far inside during my takeaway and to take it more parallel to the target line.

Anyway....my misses are FAT shots...big fades (like 15-30 yards off target line)...push slices (mostly with woods)...and the occasional hook.

My good shots are straight or have a slight fade...I rarely draw the ball.

Just looking for some tips...I would like to start my downswing with my hips more. I feel like I am starting with my hips and arms at the same time. I would also like to try and shallow out the club more and gain more wrist hinge at the top. These videos were shot on the first day I was trying to shallow the club out more in the backswing and get my hands more in line with my right shoulder at the top. Let me know your thoughts.

Note: The two different angles are two different balls/swings. Thanks for watching.

This is probably the longest drive I have ever hit at this range...I estimate it went around 265...it was glorious and dead straight.
Driver

• [video=youtube;8SFU4kka-jk]https://youtu.be/8SFU4kka-jk[/video]
  • [video=youtube;0nUR5-6bkII]https://youtu.be/0nUR5-6bkII[/video]

7 Iron

52 Degree wedge....my most consistent club..along with my 50.

10 months? Very nice!! You have a very Steve Strikerish golf swing, very little wrist flex. But you have a more traditional delivery into the ball. More of an arm swing vs an upper body rotation into the ball.

Your misses are coming from a combination of ball position and early release. Play the ball in the middle of your stance and be sure to rotate that right side through to finish. This will get your club into a consistent position for on every swing.

A still lower body is good with your swing. No need to squat or adjust your lower body action. Keep working on your swing, because it's a good one.

Back