Does Shaft Look Matter?

To an extent. I'm not sure I could game an all pink shaft or bright yellow. If it works though it would be hard to pass up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They matter in a pure aesthetics form, but they obviously have no impact on performance. The only time I have noticed them to be a negative is if they are too busy and at address they become a bit distracting. But I can't think of a specific one that, that applied to!

I think the looks of shaft get me to consider it and research and swing it. If the shaft isn't a good fit me, no paint is going to fix that. The shafts appearances are important in a marketing sense. There are tons of shafts out there to choose from.

I think it's important to a point. I'd definitely prefer that the shaft look good paired with my driver, and I think that's a taller order now with all of the multi-colored heads. That said, if I can find the mythical +20 yards & 1/2 dispersion, it could be neon yellow and pink for all I care. :D

It does, I love the look of most Miyazaki shafts.
But if it works, I will play it no matter what it looks like. Even Pink.

Good call on the miyazaki shafts, love the looks of my kusala indigo, IMO they're the best looking shafts out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to say that it matters a little. If there were a shaft that performed the same as the B Asha but wasn't as ugly as the B Asha, I would buy it instead.

Nope. Honestly, unless I got up right now and went and looked, I couldn't tell you the color or pattern of any of my graphite shafts. I don't pay them much attention.

I would have to say that it matters a little. If there were a shaft that performed the same as the B Asha but wasn't as ugly as the B Asha, I would buy it instead.

Not to derail the thread but I think your the first person I have heard call the B Asha ugly

I don't really care about the looks of the club shaft since all I see us the head.

To me not at all. I honestly couldn't even tell you what the shafts on my fairway woods and hybrids look like besides being blue. Don't even know if it has a graphic on it.

I prefer shafts that appeal to my color taste. I remember a few years ago when Aldila had a pea green shaft NVS etc. It didn't do it for me in the looks department. Now when I see a shaft in a pretty blue color scheme, it's instant love. I just hope it works in the performance department :D.

Exactly, I have that shaft and like it a lot. It's not pretty but it works...

Makes zero difference to me. If it fits i don't care what it looks like. I have a bright pink candy series Matrix Radix in my driver..for what its worth.

I prefer the performance over color but I'd be lying if I said it had no bearing in my decision.

I think that looks do play into my decision making. To clarify, I would certainly go with what fits the best before anything else, but I do enjoy a product that looks good. I also feel that many products offer different colors and styles which allows each golfer to show their own style. I recently purchased a kusala white shaft for my amp cell driver and switched out the red head for a blue one to match the shaft!

We always talk about aesthetics of clubs and while they don't matter in theory, they are part of our decision process (as they should be). I was speaking with someone today about the look of shafts and how some companies do it better than others in my opinion.

In this case we will limit it to graphite shafts, but do the looks matter to you?

Looks does matter to me I guess. I always liked dark shafts with black being number one, but the shaft in my X Hot is light grey and I'm ok with that. I remember when Callaway came out with the Diablo line. The shafts had that wild mid-evil graphic that I thought was hideous. Plain and simple works for me but I'm old and old school.

No, the look of the shaft does not matter to me at all, I am focused on trying to hit a consistent golf shot, and not to make a fashion statement.

I would be lying if I said no.
Same here. I played the PXis based on how they looked more than how they performed for me.

I don't care what the shaft looks as long as it performs for me.

I like a minimalistic approach on shaft graphics. If it's going to be a crazy color, it has to be as plain as possible. The rain graphics on Matrix shafts aren't too bad since they are closer to the grip and don't come into my view at address.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

If the color and graphics where ugly I would paint the shaft black.

for the most part I don't really care, but I recently saw one on the rack in (I think) a callaway driver that was kind of purple with some flowery looking graphics. The shaft made this man's driver look like a ladies one. That would turn me off if I was considering that driver. Shallow? perhaps. But it's the honest truth.

I am indifferent on looks at this point in my golfing career. I will game just about anything as long as it performs if I don't like the shaft they always sell shaft wraps.

Aldila's NV series continues to sell despite being a snot green color that goes with nothing. So in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter that much. I still think it looks better than the Fujikura Fuel paint job from the Amp Cell. When I went back to using the Fuel, I found the white distracting.

All things being equal, it does matter a little bit. Lots of things dealing with the aesthetics of golf clubs appeal to mass market of club personalization, from the headcover to the grip to the appearance of the clubhead itself. Naturally the shaft would be included in that. But while certain shaftmakers certain make more pleasant looking shafts than others (and a tip of the rocks glass to you, Miyazaki!), to shaft has ever looked so unpleasant that I wouldn't game it for a 3% increase in my drives, provided we're not talking about price.

To a point but it's performance that matters most. Good thing my favorite shaft is all black lol

Back