Getting older and golf

I need to hang out in this thread. Turning 43 the end of the month and I feel like a young buck!

I have watched my father, who will be 72 this weekend, fall apart physically over the last decade. He does what he can, but his hip replacement surgery last year was a real struggle and even though he needs back surgery (would be his third) he won't get it unless he has no choice. His doctors have told him that at 72, he has the body on an 85 year old. He wants to play golf a lot more than his body will let him. The last couple of times we have played, he starts off fast but after 4-5 holes those pars become bogeys and after 9 holes he is done.

He's gotten a lot more sedentary in general, in large part because he doesn't have much in the way of a social life in Virginia. But he and my mom have bought a house here in our neighborhood in Michigan and will be up here starting in October. They plan to escape the Michigan winters and go back to Virginia during that time, but will be here for 7-8 months out of the year. I am hoping that being closer to me (I have no siblings) and his 4 grandchildren will help him as there is rarely time to sit around here!

That's cool your Dad will be near you :thumb: An old coot and a Jr coot playing golf together. Priceless!

That's cool your Dad will be near you :thumb: An old coot and a Jr coot playing golf together. Priceless!

Junior coot! I have a new title to use!

It is a weird feeling with the body seemingly trying to self destruct. About a week before Savanah the hips started hurting mostly the left but now both. Never had a hip issue ever, I went to the Chiropractor on the advice of a friend and he helped my back a ton but the hips are still a issue. Being a larger guy I never really had any fear traveling around South America since most criminals would pick on a smaller target, but I was just out walking around Cartagena and realized I really could not out run or out fight anyone anymore. Not that I was ever a badass but knew enough to stay out of trouble or could defend myself if needed. Now I seriously wonder what I would do if a problem popped up. Aging gracefully is a myth....

I'm 68 and play 5 days per week, weather permitting, and the only problems I have ever had were with my knees due to arthritis. Both have now been replaced and they are no longer an issue. If I play 18 then hit the range for an extended period to work out some problems I might tire more quickly depending on how hot and humid it is, but no real aches and pains.

I'm 68 and play 5 days per week, weather permitting, and the only problems I have ever had were with my knees due to arthritis. Both have now been replaced and they are no longer an issue. If I play 18 then hit the range for an extended period to work out some problems I might tire more quickly depending on how hot and humid it is, but no real aches and pains.

Dayuuummm Phil you're a stud puppy ! Good on you for carrying on like a champ ?

I've had three surgeries on my right knee and it's still screwed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Condorll - thanks for sharing. One thing that is difficult is to start a regimen that takes time (months) to show progress. Getting feedback from someone who has stuck with the process and seen the benefits is immensely useful.

I did take a Vicodin Saturday night before a round yesterday in Chicago. Gotta say my body feels much better after having done so. I don't take them often but as a way of alleviating soreness/pain, they work for me. There are a lot of great suggestions on better preparation and preventive approaches that have been mentioned. Definitely some things to try!

I had no choice, started the osteo biflex on my doc's recommendation or surgery would be next. I stuck with it and it's lessened my pain considerably.
Thanks for your positive comments!

OK, one more tip. With my calcified Achilles tendon issue and the pain of walking first thing in the morning I had to find a flip flop that cushioned my heel. This works for any kind of heel pain including plantar faciatis. These are amazing flip flops, recovery sandals for runners! The foam under your heel is over an inch thick and it has excellent arch support. Amazon has 'em so does the Oofos store and there may be a retailer in your area. $45.00 well spent. I bought the OOFOS OOAHH Slide model, (no thingy between your toes).

http://www.oofos.com/pages/your-feet-earned-this

whyoofosfirstimage.jpg

OK, one more tip. With my calcified Achilles tendon issue and the pain of walking first thing in the morning I had to find a flip flop that cushioned my heel. This works for any kind of heel pain including plantar faciatis. These are amazing flip flops, recovery sandals for runners! The foam under your heel is over an inch thick and it has excellent arch support. Amazon has 'em so does the Oofos store and there may be a retailer in your area. $45.00 well spent. I bought the OOFOS OOAHH Slide model, (no thingy between your toes).

http://www.oofos.com/pages/your-feet-earned-this

whyoofosfirstimage.jpg

My wife has plantar faciatis and I bet she would love a pair of these!

Old age ain't for sissies.

I'm only 47 but beat up like a rodeo clown with injuries (neck, knee, back, elbow, shoulder, wrist, lol), mostly sports but also a lot of "Jackass" stuff. I think my fun started when I got my first stitches for a head injury when I was 4 and then fell off a ladder and right onto my head when I was 5. Tore my knee up skiing in HS and also had my left hand crushed between two football helmets and it still cracks and pops every time I make a fist. Good times.

Those OOFOS sandals are super soft and very comfy, they don't last very long but really are awesome on the feets. Timeoff between rounds and lots and lots of stretching help, I also try to walk a lot (even when riding in a cart).

I am surprised at the responses from players in their 50s. I thought that was young. ;-) I had a liver transplant in 1999 with 5 months in the hospital. For me the key is to stay positive. Now I just have to take more time to warm up. I exercise regularly and eat very healthy. Soon I will return to walking the course rather than riding. I've done the Hep-C treatment this year plus my cataracts are so bad I have to hit the ball and then go find it. LOL However I will have eye surgery after a trip to LA to visit my son after a trip to see my transplant doctors. I will soon see good again w/o glasses! Never give up, never say no, just put one foot in front of the other and keep going. Golfing is good for the mind and the sole and has played a major part in my current state of health. It's kept me alive along with my two Harleys. Good health to all. :clapp:

I just finished our county championship and ended up in the middle of the pack (which I'm not unhappy with). Like many others my body is really beat up from work and life really. Know your limitations and find an instructor that can accomodate your needs to succeed with what you have. What we give up in distance can easily be offset my an increase in accuracy and a sound short game. I've rarely met anyone above 50 who truly bombs it anymore. But the good ones in this bracket are laser straight and have phenomenal short games.

I am surprised at the responses from players in their 50s. I thought that was young. ;-) I had a liver transplant in 1999 with 5 months in the hospital. For me the key is to stay positive. Now I just have to take more time to warm up. I exercise regularly and eat very healthy. Soon I will return to walking the course rather than riding. I've done the Hep-C treatment this year plus my cataracts are so bad I have to hit the ball and then go find it. LOL However I will have eye surgery after a trip to LA to visit my son after a trip to see my transplant doctors. I will soon see good again w/o glasses! Never give up, never say no, just put one foot in front of the other and keep going. Golfing is good for the mind and the sole and has played a major part in my current state of health. It's kept me alive along with my two Harleys. Good health to all. :clapp:

I like your attitude and you sound like a champ to me :thumb:

While walking my dog this morning I was thinking of some of the stuff I have gone through physically through the years. I think the worst thing to affect me mentally was prostate cancer. It still does today but like you said, you have to stand tall and move on with your life.. I'm very happy these days !

Driving distance is lost.... shorter compare to two years ago.

at 67 with back surgery and 2 shoulder surgeries
golf isn't supposed to be happening, but you have to do something other than walk. play once a week [don't tell my surgeon] have to walk because carts jostle my back to much. go to chiropractor
1-2 month get a massage occasionally but have found that accupunctre helps relax the muscles more quickly it really doesn't matter what you have to do to be able to keep playing​

Back