What to wear in Scotland in May?

Jmilla

Reaction score
Handicap
My in laws are taking the family to Scotland for a golf trip. What should I be wearing on these courses both formal wise and weather wise? The nicest course I have been on is Deacons Lodge here in mn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The weather over there is crazy changeable!!! I say layer up as best as possible and go from there. Most courses are fairly liberal with regards to clothing IMO. Obviously if you're playing championship type courses you'll be expected to dress nice and tidy.

Is a rain suit advisable?

Is a rain suit advisable?

Ha ha ha. That's a good one!

Yes.....and never get more than 10 feet away from it.

Rain suit, rain gloves, rain hat, and a good sturdy umbrella that is vented. After that see if you can find waterproof socks and underwear.

Nice polo and slacks or modern tech golf pants and please do all of us a favor and don't wear american flag pants. Good excuse to get some classy gear for the trip if you ask me.

But I wouldn't go without a rain suit. Get something on close out like a sun mountain rain flex or something from last year of you want to do it on the cheap. Or if you have the means the FootJoy DryJoy XP product is very good. And if you have more means than that hire someone to hold a tent over you while you are playing.

Have a great trip!

Having lived there for over ten years, take winter, spring and summer clothing. The weather can be that changeable.

Speaking as someone who lives in Aberdeen, you should take everything you own. It can rain, snow, blow a hooley and be really sunny all in the space of a couple of holes! is unlikely to be particularly warm in May so definitely come cold weather gear and rain suit. May be worth a pair of gloves and a wooly hat as well. Having said that, it's been a pretty decent year this year so you may even get away with just a light sweater. It really is that hard to advise! Urge on the side of caution though, and definitely bring some bug spray. Some of the courses you can get bitten half to death if you're not careful. Which part of Scotland are you likely to be at?

Definitely a rain suit. And as already mentioned, layer up. Plus Scotland ain't America, so shoes in the club house, take your cap off before you go inside and make sure your phone is on silent.

Nike makes a great pair of high top rain shoes - Nike Lunar Bandon golf shoes.

Sent from my 16M

Nike Lunar Bandon shoes are great high top rain shoes

Sent from my 16M

Any good deals on decent rain gear out there?

Does anyone know what year this is from???
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448014427.114369.jpg

I just ordered one like in the picture

Kilted.jpg

Yup...that's the uniform. As I am demonstrating here hahaha
b437e794e82014b8d3d04b1d86f94bbb.jpg

Lol we will be playing St. Andrews courses and making a loop around the country playing as we go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you playing the Dukes at St Andrews? Is a lovely lovely course, one of my favourites. If you come. Wee bit further north then give me a shout and I can point you towards a couple of great courses

Does anyone know what year this is from???
View attachment 22620

I think it has to be 2012 or older. I haven't seen that design of the pocket on the chest like that and I have carried it for a few years now. Either that or to was a style that was not available in the US.

Thanks for the info. Not sure which St. Andrews courses yet still making the itinerary. It's my father in laws bucket list trip so he is reading the doak book looking at ratings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha ha ha. That's a good one!

Yes.....and never get more than 10 feet away from it.

Rain suit, rain gloves, rain hat, and a good sturdy umbrella that is vented. After that see if you can find waterproof socks and underwear.

Nice polo and slacks or modern tech golf pants and please do all of us a favor and don't wear american flag pants. Good excuse to get some classy gear for the trip if you ask me.

But I wouldn't go without a rain suit. Get something on close out like a sun mountain rain flex or something from last year of you want to do it on the cheap. Or if you have the means the FootJoy DryJoy XP product is very good. And if you have more means than that hire someone to hold a tent over you while you are playing.

Have a great trip!

Having lived there for over ten years, take winter, spring and summer clothing. The weather can be that changeable.

Speaking as someone who lives in Aberdeen, you should take everything you own. It can rain, snow, blow a hooley and be really sunny all in the space of a couple of holes! is unlikely to be particularly warm in May so definitely come cold weather gear and rain suit. May be worth a pair of gloves and a wooly hat as well. Having said that, it's been a pretty decent year this year so you may even get away with just a light sweater. It really is that hard to advise! Urge on the side of caution though, and definitely bring some bug spray. Some of the courses you can get bitten half to death if you're not careful. Which part of Scotland are you likely to be at?

I read these to my wife, who is from England and she was cracking up.

Just a note on rain suits. It's helpful if the suit is easy to quickly get into and out of. Often, the rain comes in small squalls, especially when you're near the water. It can rain like heck for a few minutes and then pass, then a few holes later another little squall could come. If you're playing with caddies, which I recommend (often, all is not what it appears from the tee) you'll know when to put the rain suit on--when they do. Don't wait; they come quick. LOL. I bought a very expensive Zero Restriction rain suit for my trip, but, it definitely wasn't a "quick change" item. A couple of times I was soaked by the time I got it on, and the shower had already passed.

Enjoy your trip. The Scots are wonderful people, and you'll be received well there.

Back