TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Well, today was my first bad day with these irons. I must've woke up with a bad swing today, because nothing went right for me on the range today. I can count on one hand how many great shots I hit, and the other hand can be used for the remaining good shots. Other than that, I was everywhere. The irons still felt good when hit correctly, but I didn't do that often this morning. I want to blame the terribleness on the fact that I slept only 2 hours last night, and was up at 7 to go to the range, but a bad day happens every now and then. Hoping that the round I get in this week will be better, and it should.

Well, today was my first bad day with these irons. I must've woke up with a bad swing today, because nothing went right for me on the range today. I can count on one hand how many great shots I hit, and the other hand can be used for the remaining good shots. Other than that, I was everywhere. The irons still felt good when hit correctly, but I didn't do that often this morning. I want to blame the terribleness on the fact that I slept only 2 hours last night, and was up at 7 to go to the range, but a bad day happens every now and then. Hoping that the round I get in this week will be better, and it should.

I hate having days like that, but i haven't figured out a way to completely avoid them yet. For me a bad day is when everything goes "right". hehe

everyone has these day, you'll bounce back!

I have loads of these days at the range, but always seem to sort it out on the course

Update!

Played 18 this weekend at Keith Hills from the tips (71.6/136). We decided to get out nice and early since it was supposed to be 900 degrees on Saturday, so our tee time was 7:27. I showed up and hit the putting green for a few minutes then headed out.

Hole 1:
Par 4, 409 yards. Dogleg right around 180 yards. Played 3W off the tee and hit it into orbit. Hit of the top of the club. Sitting with about 215 left to the hole, I pull the Mashie. Hit it well and a bit short. Pull the 60* and skull it across the green. Finally chip on and 2 putt for a 6.

Hole 2:
Par 4, 372 yards. Push the driver right into adjacent fairway. Hit a towering shot over the trees with a 50* that plops on the green. 2 putt for par.

Hole 3:
Par 4, 367 yards. Hit a beautiful drive that lands about 50 yards from the green. Play a 60* and 2 putt for par.

Hole 4:
Par 5, 542 yards. Good drive to left fairway. Play 3W and pull it left into the edge of the trees. Luckily it drops down and is still playable. About 140 left to the hole I play a 8I to keep it low. I left it a little bit short. 60* wedge bladed over the green. Chip on and 2 putt for a 7.

Hole 5:
Par 3, 201 yards. Chose to play a 5I since the pin was a bit forward. Hit it a bit fat but still travels ~180 yards. Chip on and 1 putt for a par.

Hole 6:
Par 4, 394 yards. Good driver off the tee left with 135 to the green. Green is about 20 feet above my head so I club up and play a 9I. Push it just a little bit right and it ends up in the sand trap. Play the SW to get out but leave it short on the fringe. Chip on and 2 putt for a 6.

Hole 7:
Par 4, 337 yards. Good drive to about 50 yards. Play a 60* into the green. The ground was a bit wet so I hit it a little bit fat but still on the green. 2 putt for par.

Hole 8:
Par 3, 167 yards. 8I and hit it beautifully. Lands about 10 feet from the pin. 2 putt for par.

Hole 9:
Par 5, 510 yards. Driver fades a bit into trees on right. I find it and have to punch out. Hit a great 7I punch shot and have about 200 left. Hit a great 5I that takes an unfortunate hop over the green and into the back sand trap. Play SW out of bunker way too hard and overshoot the green. Chip on and 2 putt for a 7.

Score after 9: 45

Hole 10:
Par 4, 349 yards. Strip a 3W down the center to about 115 yards. Hit an easy PW onto the green. 2 putt for par

And now my round takes a hit....

Hole 11:
Par 4, 409 yards. Play 3W off the tee and hook the crap out of it into the trees. Re-tee and play 3 into the right rough. Forced carry from where I sit is about 200 yards and 240 to the middle. I rip the EZONE onto the front fringe. Chip on and 1 putt for a 6.

Hole 12:
Par 4, 360 yards. Hook driver off the tee into woods. Re-tee and hit it to 80 yards in the fairway. Play a 60* into green and 2 putt for a 6.

Hole 13:
Par 3, 189 yards. Play a 6I and pull it just a bit to the left fringe. Chip on and 1 putt for par.

Hole 14:
Par 4, 349 yards. Hit a hard fade with the driver that I think is lost. Re-tee and hit 3 into the fairway. Hit PW from about 135 onto the green. 2 putt for a 6. As I'm leaving the hole, naturally I find my first ball beside the cart path. :banghead:

Hole 15:
Par 5, 563 yards. Hook my driver but it stays in bounds. Play the Ezone from the left rough and keep it on the left side of the fairway. 3rd shot is from about 115 and I have to get up and over a tree again. I hit a nice shot that lands on the back of the green. Proceed to 3 putt for a 6.

Hole 16:
Par 3, 188 yards. Flush a 6I that drifts right just enough to splash into the water. Re-hit and land it on the left fringe. Chip and 1 putt for a 5.

Hole 17:
Par 4, 407 yards. Hit a nice drive that lands in the left rough. Play a PW from 125 that lands a bit short and left. Chip on and 2 putt for a 5.

Hole 18:
Par 5, 495 yards. Great drive right down the middle. About 210 left. Play Mashie and land it to the left of the green. Chip on and 3 putt for a 6.

Final score: 94

So, in summary, my tee game killed me with 4 penalties. I would have had an opportunity to be ~8 shots lower. Other than that, the 2.0's performed great. No complaints at all. I feel like I'm getting much more accurate with them as well. Before I played this time, I wiped my grips clean with some warm water and that seemed to help me hold onto them a bit better. Will see how the grips hold up. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

More to come...

Update!

Played 18 this weekend at Keith Hills from the tips (71.6/136). We decided to get out nice and early since it was supposed to be 900 degrees on Saturday, so our tee time was 7:27. I showed up and hit the putting green for a few minutes then headed out.

Hole 1:
Par 4, 409 yards. Dogleg right around 180 yards. Played 3W off the tee and hit it into orbit. Hit of the top of the club. Sitting with about 215 left to the hole, I pull the Mashie. Hit it well and a bit short. Pull the 60* and skull it across the green. Finally chip on and 2 putt for a 6.

Hole 2:
Par 4, 372 yards. Push the driver right into adjacent fairway. Hit a towering shot over the trees with a 50* that plops on the green. 2 putt for par.

Hole 3:
Par 4, 367 yards. Hit a beautiful drive that lands about 50 yards from the green. Play a 60* and 2 putt for par.

Hole 4:
Par 5, 542 yards. Good drive to left fairway. Play 3W and pull it left into the edge of the trees. Luckily it drops down and is still playable. About 140 left to the hole I play a 8I to keep it low. I left it a little bit short. 60* wedge bladed over the green. Chip on and 2 putt for a 7.

Hole 5:
Par 3, 201 yards. Chose to play a 5I since the pin was a bit forward. Hit it a bit fat but still travels ~180 yards. Chip on and 1 putt for a par.

Hole 6:
Par 4, 394 yards. Good driver off the tee left with 135 to the green. Green is about 20 feet above my head so I club up and play a 9I. Push it just a little bit right and it ends up in the sand trap. Play the SW to get out but leave it short on the fringe. Chip on and 2 putt for a 6.

Hole 7:
Par 4, 337 yards. Good drive to about 50 yards. Play a 60* into the green. The ground was a bit wet so I hit it a little bit fat but still on the green. 2 putt for par.

Hole 8:
Par 3, 167 yards. 8I and hit it beautifully. Lands about 10 feet from the pin. 2 putt for par.

Hole 9:
Par 5, 510 yards. Driver fades a bit into trees on right. I find it and have to punch out. Hit a great 7I punch shot and have about 200 left. Hit a great 5I that takes an unfortunate hop over the green and into the back sand trap. Play SW out of bunker way too hard and overshoot the green. Chip on and 2 putt for a 7.

Score after 9: 45

Hole 10:
Par 4, 349 yards. Strip a 3W down the center to about 115 yards. Hit an easy PW onto the green. 2 putt for par

And now my round takes a hit....

Hole 11:
Par 4, 409 yards. Play 3W off the tee and hook the crap out of it into the trees. Re-tee and play 3 into the right rough. Forced carry from where I sit is about 200 yards and 240 to the middle. I rip the EZONE onto the front fringe. Chip on and 1 putt for a 6.

Hole 12:
Par 4, 360 yards. Hook driver off the tee into woods. Re-tee and hit it to 80 yards in the fairway. Play a 60* into green and 2 putt for a 6.

Hole 13:
Par 3, 189 yards. Play a 6I and pull it just a bit to the left fringe. Chip on and 1 putt for par.

Hole 14:
Par 4, 349 yards. Hit a hard fade with the driver that I think is lost. Re-tee and hit 3 into the fairway. Hit PW from about 135 onto the green. 2 putt for a 6. As I'm leaving the hole, naturally I find my first ball beside the cart path. :banghead:

Hole 15:
Par 5, 563 yards. Hook my driver but it stays in bounds. Play the Ezone from the left rough and keep it on the left side of the fairway. 3rd shot is from about 115 and I have to get up and over a tree again. I hit a nice shot that lands on the back of the green. Proceed to 3 putt for a 6.

Hole 16:
Par 3, 188 yards. Flush a 6I that drifts right just enough to splash into the water. Re-hit and land it on the left fringe. Chip and 1 putt for a 5.

Hole 17:
Par 4, 407 yards. Hit a nice drive that lands in the left rough. Play a PW from 125 that lands a bit short and left. Chip on and 2 putt for a 5.

Hole 18:
Par 5, 495 yards. Great drive right down the middle. About 210 left. Play Mashie and land it to the left of the green. Chip on and 3 putt for a 6.

Final score: 94

So, in summary, my tee game killed me with 4 penalties. I would have had an opportunity to be ~8 shots lower. Other than that, the 2.0's performed great. No complaints at all. I feel like I'm getting much more accurate with them as well. Before I played this time, I wiped my grips clean with some warm water and that seemed to help me hold onto them a bit better. Will see how the grips hold up. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

More to come...

Nice update man! I also noticed a tighter dispersion with these irons. My accuracy has greatly improved, but I wonder if it's the irons themselves, or the slower, more controlled swing the irons have forced me to have. I want to say it's the swing more than anything.

Nice update man! I also noticed a tighter dispersion with these irons. My accuracy has greatly improved, but I wonder if it's the irons themselves, or the slower, more controlled swing the irons have forced me to have. I want to say it's the swing more than anything.

JR, I have to agree with you on both points. Nice update from jefrazie, and these clubs almost demand a tempo based swing. If I really try to jump on them... All bets are off! Nice and smooth swing I get a controlled distance that is nearly laser accurate.

Ok. One horrible day of golf on my birthday. Shouldn't have played. Full morning of practice at the range and green then a round that afternoon at rocky gap. Ran out of steam on the front 9.

So how am I doing with my new Burners. Can't blame yesterday on the irons.

Just got done a session at the range and I'm very happy. I believe my shafts are too stiff for my swing speed so I'm not getting a good load on the shaft. Basically as of now I am losing yardage but gaining awesome accuracy. As of now my yardage are.

Aw 100
Pw 110
9 120
8 130
7 140
6 150
5 160
4 170

Driver 245

I may not be hitting the sweet spot with these irons and will dial that in with practice. Awesome accuracy though.

Those are close guesses by the markers there. Playing Nemacolin Links Friday. Will get to work on them more there.

Well, not a great afternoon round with the 2.0's. Unlike my last round, I was awesome with my driver, very inconsistant with my irons. Started off with birdie, and ended with birdie, both with 130ish yard PW. Everything in between was ehhh.

4 iron- Hit twice and this was one of the bright spots. Both par 5 layups, and both middle of fairway and right where I wanted to be.
5 iron- Hit it thin, not bad but over a groove low and lost distance and height.
6 iron- My favorite club so far in this set failed me. Hit one in the water, shanked another, and hit two ok. Worst results with the 6 to date.
7 iron- Pretty good. 3 approach shots from 180ish. One within 5 feet (missed the putt), another on the fringe, and another to 50 feet (3 putt).
8 iron- Mixed. Hit 2 really good shots, and 1 pull, 1 push. The pull nearly went in the hazard 30 feet left of the green and the push was just as ugly the other way. The 2 good were GIR and 2 putt pars from 20 feet or so.
9 iron- I expect to be on the green every time with my 8, 9, PW. The reality is that is not the case, and today proved that. HAHA. Had 3 full 9 irons into greens and did not hit 1 GIR. One fringe, one bunker, and one deep rough. All pulls. Very nice looking in the air with a slight draw, but I am set up to hit my trademark high fade. Not good.
PW- The bright spot of the day! Hit it to 9 feet on the first hole from 130... birdie. Hit it to 2 feet on 18 from a similar yardage.... birdie.
SW- Not used

Overall I am hitting the 2.0's pretty good, but am seeing a bit of a draw in the last couple of rounds, which is fine if I am trying to hit it. It is just enough to make me miss greens. I am wondering if I am overswinging. The added distance has made me feel like godzilla. :) I think I just need to trust the yardages and swing consistantly. I haven't had alot of time to practice over the last week. I definetely need the work.

Foreplay
Not that I know anything about shafts, but your post reads as making sense to me, that there's something not quite right and you're losing distance.
My AW is around 100, but three clubs up to an 8i and I'm 175.

Talking of the 8i, has anyone else noticed it seems to have the smallest badge in the cavity? Or is it just my club? I'll have to post a pic, but it's like quite a bit of space in the cavity is not filled by the badge. And I played some really horrible clunky shots at the range with it when new, and I've barely used it on course since. This I must re-investigate!

It may just be a breaking in phase for me. I am working on a swing change that has had a positive affect on my accuracy. I know my swing speed is around 95. It was over the winter so it should have only increased. I know my Snake Eyes 685os clubs which are 1/2 shorter are a club deeper. I hit the 7 iron 150 easily with those clubs. But the shaft is trimmed a little softer than a S300. They are DG shafts. I am also getting used to the flighted shafts. I'll get it. This was off mats today.

Thinking back over my practice session. I'm probably getting a larger gap than that. Will hit some more tomorrow from grass at Rocky Gap Resort.

I've been hanging to try these irons after reading most of this thread. Today I went and tested the following irons: Burner 2.0's, G15, Di11, Ci11, CG16, JPX 800 and Razr X's. The standouts for me were the Burner 2.0's, Di11's and the JPX 800's - all great irons in their own right (tested reg steel shafts). All three had a great feel but the Burners just exploded off the face and were deadly accurate. The 6 iron was going 170-180 yards and pretty straight with a slight draw. Absolutely loved them!

I think for me it's going to come down to the Burners and the Di11's. Both had great distance and both felt really nice. Very forgiving aswell. Must say, probably some of the easiest irons to hit.

I have played every day since last Tuesday using the 2.0's with the exception of Saturday and I must say, the distance control, accuracy and feel of this club is ammazing. I have pretty much dialed in distances gained from my previous clubs. Yesterday afternoon, I hit the flag stick on #15 from 191 with the 6 iron and holed out from 105 yards using the AW on #6. The AW pitch mark was 9 inches from the hole and the ball backed up a little and turned slightly left into the cup. It was an awesome sight.

was wondering how everyones is holding up wise with the black as mine are starting to show a look as if the black is just peeling away,really thought they would last longer than this

was wondering how everyones is holding up wise with the black as mine are starting to show a look as if the black is just peeling away,really thought they would last longer than this

I noticed a little bit of scrubbing on the face of the 2.0's. I'll try and upload a pic tonight of the face wear. As for the edges (toe/heel), they are still as black as the day I got them.

Mine are still looking great. Everything is still black, with maybe the tiniest bit of wear on the face.

My 2.0's look great. Normal face wear. The soles look as good as new.

Ok. Second round with the 2.0's. Wish I could keep track of my round like most of you guys. They are coming along nicely. My greens in reg jumped today. Played the back of Rocky Gap first and struggled with everything but putting. One 3 putt. I can't imagine what my back score was but it was basically making corrections to my swing to accommodate the longer irons. These are plus 1 as apposed to 1/2. Was shanking the ball. I never do that. Fixed that and moved on to the front.

I avoided my hybrids as much as possible to hit my Burners. I played the front and finished with a 46. Pretty good for me. I regained my lost 10 yards and now back to hitting 150 with my 7 iron. Had some nice shots with my 4 and 5 iron which I never hit before. Always hybrids. I will try and track my stats better on friday when I play nemacolin links. Hoping to improve on my game. I find myself struggling with foot placement and throwing off my aim. Sometimes I hate this game as much as I love it.

thanks for the help but mine are looking a bit worn after 5 rounds,always use headcovers on them aswell

Can you show us a pic? I am interested to see. I have played more than 5 rounds and had a couple of range sessions and see very little wear.

I bought some iron head covers (Castle Bay) after a month's use of the irons. I started to notice they would begin to show signs of scratching if left to jangle against each other. I haven't looked closely at the state of the black since, comparing uniform darkness around each head, or between clubs, but I did think to myself, shortly after starting to use the head covers, are they wearing the finish by rubbing when taking on and off? It would be sod's law if a supposed protective device actually adds more wear than not using them!

I have about 5 full rounds and 4 range sessions on these irons and the face / sole durability is holding up better than I expected. I would compare them equally to the face durability of my SuperTri. If you've been following my posts up to this point, this was one of the biggest concerns I had about these irons coming in. I am usually pretty tough on my clubs because I do not usually carry my bag and do not use iron covers. I'm actually more impressed in the face durability on these than I am with the durability of the face on my R9 4W (another thread).

I have my custom Burner 2.0 AW ordered and I cannot wait to get it into the bag, DOWN goes the Vokey!

Bobby Burner - I checked my clubs and the 8i badge and 9i badge look to be the same size as each other and the others. Where did you get your irons?

Last edited:
Back