Journey to Average 30 Putts per Round.

I have actually been really hot with the putter lately. Past 3 rounds i have had 29,29, and 30 putts. I believe the reason for this is 2 things. 1 is i am putting my hands a bit more forward at address which i believe is making the ball roll a bit more truer and i'm having better speed, and 2 is contributed to two things. 1 being improving my pitching a bit for when i miss the green, and improving my speed control. When you have speed down you will always be closer then when you have line down and not speed. You can miss speed by a few feet but only line by a couple feet id say no more then 3 so you should have tap ins all day if you got the speed right.

GReat work today KB , SW and CB... I have been practicing my short game quite a bit this weekend and by short game I mean chipping, pitching and putting. With the help of my coach I have changed my whole set up in putting and it seems to be working, at least on the practice greens.

I have to start keeping track of my putts. My buddy has always kept track of GIR and putts and he has been trying to get me to do it. I am going to start this week.

played a round this morning. had 19/17 for 36 putts i also hit 9 GIR. so i had 2.0 putts per GIR and 2.0 for putts hole. The bad putts first.... i had 3 3 putts today. 1st hole putting jitters was the first, 2nd one was just a bad first putt the 3rd i was over 50 ft from the hole and had a huge break and hill i left it about 10 feet and just missed draining the 2nd putt. even though my score didn't show it i thought i putted a lot better today. i really concentrated on keeping my head down while i was putting and trusting the putt would go in. i had 3 1 putts 2 for birdies and 1 to save a par. i had so many tap ins for my 2nd putts that it wasn't even funny but that was why i felt like i really putted well if i am tapping in gimmies for a 2nd putt i will never be upset. gonna work on my putting a lot tomorrow at a local course that i know i can sneak on their short game and putting greens! gotta make this 30 putts per round thing happen now!!!!!

As soon as the wife gets home I will be going to the practice area. My practice this week is getting the ball past the hole. My last round was bad with leaving putts short

As soon as the wife gets home I will be going to the practice area. My practice this week is getting the ball past the hole. My last round was bad with leaving putts short

Irony????????

I had a great short game practice session today. Did some chipping and pitching, and then combined them with some putting drills. I took 6 balls and I couldn't leave until I got 5 of 6 up and down for par. It put pressure on both my chipping and my putter and I found it really helpful.

Played a new course today

The golf club of Dublin.

It was fantastic. A true links course with the largest greens I have ever seen.

They were so large I only missed 2 GIR. seriously. I usually hit 4-5 GIR.

But I had 39 putts with 4 three putts.

They all came when I had 50+ foot first putts lol. I have never had such long lags. It was crazy yet fun.

I didn't Have one chip today. Lol not one.

Two rounds today, good day on the greens.

Round 1: 8 GIR's, no 3-jacks, 30 putts
Round 2: 8 GIR's, 1 3-jack, 1 chip-in (putt from fringe), 29 putts

Darth-Huey is getting lethal. Left about 5 birdies within a half a foot of the hole, when they start dropping, look out.

Played a new course today

The golf club of Dublin.

It was fantastic. A true links course with the largest greens I have ever seen.

They were so large I only missed 2 GIR. seriously. I usually hit 4-5 GIR.

But I had 39 putts with 4 three putts.

They all came when I had 50+ foot first putts lol. I have never had such long lags. It was crazy yet fun.

I didn't Have one chip today. Lol not one.

I would probably have 4 four putts from that distance! I bet it was fun but I cringe like crazy any time I have a putt over 30'. I hope you took some pics to share.

Definitely in with this. I average about 32 putts per round at the moment. If I can get this down to below 30 I'll be shooting single figures!

Darth-Huey is getting lethal. Left about 5 birdies within a half a foot of the hole, when they start dropping, look out.

I'm jealous! Good job Jman. Are you typically a good putter or was this just a good day for you? Share your secrets!

wow great rounds! nice work!

I need to keep my putting stats again. I had my putter length modified to 37 inchs and have been actually doing much better on the greens lately. I will start tracking my putts to see what my average putts per round are now. I am fairly tall at 6' 2" and I use a claw putting grip. The added length just sits the putter up perfect for a nice pendulum type motion.

I'm jealous! Good job Jman. Are you typically a good putter or was this just a good day for you? Share your secrets!

Thanks KB!

Honestly, putting is the one thing I've always prided myself on, the 49 rounds I have tracked on my iPhone I average 33.1 per round. But, I know that being such a putter freak, I've bounced around from putter to putter and that's really hindered me. I love that I can go play with just about anything and always be below 35-34 putts, but, that's leaving alot of strokes. I've found one in the Mills with an alignment setup on it that just fits my eye incredibly well, so, we're going to see how low i can ride this thing with this one.

Putting has always been that thing I KNEW I could be good at when I started to take the game seriously and worked from 100 to 90 to 80, no matter how terrible the rest of my game was, I've always had a really good feel on the greens.

Honestly, YOU are the one thats made me jealous and inspired with this KB, seeing how serious you're working at it and striving for it makes me want to as well, so, thank YOU!

Thanks KB!

Honestly, putting is the one thing I've always prided myself on, the 49 rounds I have tracked on my iPhone I average 33.1 per round. But, I know that being such a putter freak, I've bounced around from putter to putter and that's really hindered me. I love that I can go play with just about anything and always be below 35-34 putts, but, that's leaving alot of strokes. I've found one in the Mills with an alignment setup on it that just fits my eye incredibly well, so, we're going to see how low i can ride this thing with this one.

Putting has always been that thing I KNEW I could be good at when I started to take the game seriously and worked from 100 to 90 to 80, no matter how terrible the rest of my game was, I've always had a really good feel on the greens.

Honestly, YOU are the one thats made me jealous and inspired with this KB, seeing how serious you're working at it and striving for it makes me want to as well, so, thank YOU!

To be honest, I'm just flat worn out. :sweat: Being semi-retired and working PT at a golf course is not a very good thing for a golf addict. It's like an alcoholic being a bartender. Thank goodness mother nature is making me rest tonight. Lord knows I need it.

To be honest, I'm just flat worn out. :sweat: Being semi-retired and working PT at a golf course is not a very good thing for a golf addict. It's like an alcoholic being a bartender. Thank goodness mother nature is making me rest tonight. Lord knows I need it.

Haha, I kinda know what you mean, this is the first summer as a teacher that because I'm not coaching football anymore I can do whatever every single day, been going and going nonstop it seems. Sometimes its hard to convince yourself to rest.

Guess what! I had 13 putts today on 9 holes! Woohoo!!!

Shot 41 (my driver was misbehaving a bit but my short game saved my butt)

3 GIR
13 putts
NO THREE PUTTS!!!! :good:

I had one putt that was probably 45-50 feet long and I was sweating it big time. It was our #3 par 3 and I was way across the green and there was a big break. If I hit it too hard, it would be way down to the bottom. I ended up leaving it about 6' above the hole for a slippery downhill putt. I knew I had to answer to you guys so I was determined to make it and I did!

I had two long putts from the fringe today so they ended up being one putts. I was tickled to get it close enough to make a one putt. My chipping was better than usual too. There was only one putt today that I feel I should have made but decelerated on.

Today is proof that a low GIR number with good chipping results in low putt numbers but I still putted really well for me.

I work at the course for 8 hours tomorrow so there will be a lot of time for putting practice.

KB, way to go! 13 putts on 9 is insanely good and knocking down that slippery 6 footer was pure clutch!! You're awesome!

I had my best putting day of the year today! I played with THP member Sean at his club, which has a 9-hole course along with an awesome practice facility. We played the 9-hole course twice; I had 12 putts on the first nine and 13 putts on the second nine! I'll admit, my long game was really crappy today so I missed a bunch of greens in regulation, but also hit some really nice putts when I was on the greens. Also, I chipped in twice on the second nine, it's always nice to write the number zero in the putts column on my scorecard! 25 putts is amazing for me, I'm quite happy with my short game right now. If only my long game was as good as that!

I have always started my putting stroke with a forward press, but noticed yesterday when I was practicing that I was going too far forward with my forward press and leaving the putter face open at impact. So I worked on not making as pronounced of a forward press, and carried that over to today's round, and it really helped me out.

I had my best putting day of the year today! I played with THP member Sean at his club, which has a 9-hole course along with an awesome practice facility. We played the 9-hole course twice; I had 12 putts on the first nine and 13 putts on the second nine! I'll admit, my long game was really crappy today so I missed a bunch of greens in regulation, but also hit some really nice putts when I was on the greens. Also, I chipped in twice on the second nine, it's always nice to write the number zero in the putts column on my scorecard! 25 putts is amazing for me, I'm quite happy with my short game right now. If only my long game was as good as that!

I have always started my putting stroke with a forward press, but noticed yesterday when I was practicing that I was going too far forward with my forward press and leaving the putter face open at impact. So I worked on not making as pronounced of a forward press, and carried that over to today's round, and it really helped me out.

WOW awesome flat stick performance there Paradisian!!!!!!

Great putting round today and two chip-ins is stellar!

I have been watching this thread and working on my putting too. I picked up a Taylormade 770 Mallet to help my putting out. I have been having problems leaving putts short and I thought the mallet would help out over the blade. I had a good day on the course today. I had 6 GIRs and 33 putts. I think the new putter helped out, but I missed 3 or 4 10-15 ft birdie putts. I really need to start dropping those to help me out. I will get there though. I just need to keep practicing on the putting green.

Great going Jman, KB and ary those are all great putting days, I need to get to work on my putting too. Just checked oobgolf and I average 32.4 putts and would love to improve to 30 also. We'll see.

Great stuff today guys! We are doing so well!!! I'm going to keep working HARD at this! Let's continue to keep each other motivated. Ary - 25 putts is incredible!!!

Back