Journey to Average 30 Putts per Round.

I know the Tour Links are pricey but I also know they'll last longer and be better for the are I have, other wise I'd look hard at a Big Murph too. I like the training aid because I don't need work so much on breaking putts, just grooving my stroke and feel, I think this sucker could do that.

Jman,
I've been looking at the Tour Links as well, here is THP's review of it: http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=8999

The main reason that I may not get the Tour Links green is that I might not be able to have it out all the time in our apartment, my wife may not be too pleased when we have company over. That's why I'm also looking at the Truline greens, who makes the Big Murph. Here is the THP review of that green: http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=9141

I am absolutely in for this club! My putting, the short stuff mostly, has been holding me back immensely. Although I also need to hit more GIR's, with my short game I leave myself plenty of makable saves <10 ft that I've been missing.

The putter search began today. After an hour or so of testing on the putting green, including my loss of a dollar, I went back to mine. It felt better than before, and I also made a fix in my stroke. Spent another hour or two on the practice green after two buckets on the range. Hot, humid, sticky day.

Good luck to everyone going for the sub 30's!

Nope. You have to be consistent, or any sort of statistical evaluation becomes meaningless. Look at any computerized stat program and try to institute your plan - it won't work. My Garmin GPS does stat recording, but it figures greens in regulation by subtracting the number of putts from the total score and comparing that to par for the hole. Your idea would skew the numbers for GIR. You would list a 3 putt bogey (with the first putt from the fringe) and the program would give you a GIR when you didn't actually make one. I know guys who use the Texas wedge from 40 feet off the green, even out of the rough, but it still isn't a putt, statistically speaking.

Putting statistics on Tour are figured solely on putts struck on the putting green, and that is really the only way that makes sense to me or to any statistical logic program.

This is not something that the rules are concerned with. Statistics is strictly a tool for either discussion or for measuring change in one's game. In my opinion, if you knock the first putt off the green, then the next one isn't a putt. What if you hit the first putt so hard, or on such a slope that it has to be chipped or even blasted back out of a bunker? Would you still count that as a putt? It comes back to consistency again. For statistical purposes, a putt can only occur if the ball lies on the putting green.

+1 on this.

Great idea CB. I'm must join the journey to average 30 putts or less club. I'm averaging in the low to mid 30s now, but my handicap would appreciate the average being much lower.

For what it's worth that's my problem as well. If I can get the right line the ball is going in the hole much more often then not, it's getting that line.

The best tip I've come across as of yet is the pouring water vizualization. Assume someone is standing right behind the hole and then poured a giant bucket of water. How does the water get from there to you. If you can get the line, you're usually in a good spot.

That is my biggest problem with putting. When I can see the break I can make the putt but if I am guessing that 10 footer can miss by 3 feet.

Jman,
I've been looking at the Tour Links as well, here is THP's review of it: http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=8999

The main reason that I may not get the Tour Links green is that I might not be able to have it out all the time in our apartment, my wife may not be too pleased when we have company over. That's why I'm also looking at the Truline greens, who makes the Big Murph. Here is the THP review of that green: http://thehackersparadise.com/?p=9141

Yeah, why you may not go with it is why I did, It'll be in my "golf room/man cave" and not have to be moved anywhere.

You should look at the Big Murph and Little Murph, like I said before, if I had wood floors, that would have been the one.

Yeah, why you may not go with it is why I did, It'll be in my "golf room/man cave" and not have to be moved anywhere.

You should look at the Big Murph and Little Murph, like I said before, if I had wood floors, that would have been the one.

Thanks for the input, the place that I'm thinking of laying this down is on a wooden surface, and I live in a pretty small place. I'd love to have a golf room at some point to put a putting green in there along with other stuff, but that's just not in the cards right now.

I spent two hours this afternoon working on chipping from just off the green. I used different clubs and got my distances down with clubs ranging from 6i to SW. I actually measured and and wrote down all my average distances just using the same small putting type stroke with each club. I used to do this then I moved back to chipping most with my 54* SW. I'm going to see how this works for a while.

Now I'm headed back out to putt for a while!

I spent two hours this afternoon working on chipping from just off the green. I used different clubs and got my distances down with clubs ranging from 6i to SW. I actually measured and and wrote down all my average distances just using the same small putting type stroke with each club. I used to do this then I moved back to chipping most with my 54* SW. I'm going to see how this works for a while.

Now I'm headed back out to putt for a while!

This gal loves to practice more than anything. I need to get out there and join her so I could knock some strokes off my short game stats!

had my playing lesson today we went to a nice par 3 course with 9 holes.. i worked last night and i didn't get to sleep at all so my first hole was a MESS lol i couldn't hit a full iron to save my life. anyways i had a huge break through in my chipping today! i finally am understanding the proper way and i stayed for 2 hours after working on just my chipping. then i was putting for a 1/2 hour. would have stayed longer but my eyes were burning from no sleep. this is gonna save me so many strokes. next weeks lesson is putting on video with the G-Putt at Golftec then were gonna have a putting lesson at a local course the week after! i am soooo happy i finally am understanding how to chip properly i was so consistent with the new stroke its nuts i couldn't believe how ever chip i thought was gonna go in the hole. i just got to remember to keep my wrists locked cause every time i tried to scoop my wrists i scolded the ball across the green. great day today can't wait to get some tips on my putting next week. maybe my short game will finally start to come together.

Played nine today. Par is 35

Score:38 :act-up:
Putts: 20 :banghead:

This thread will motivate me to get a putting lesson and start practicing

Are you counting GIR's when you are only on the green? This means you hit 7 of nine greens. If that is the case, I'd be spending 90% of my time on the putting green. If you improve your putting by 20% you're shooting under par. That's getting rid of the 3-Jacks and throwing in two 1-Putts.

had my playing lesson today we went to a nice par 3 course with 9 holes.. i worked last night and i didn't get to sleep at all so my first hole was a MESS lol i couldn't hit a full iron to save my life. anyways i had a huge break through in my chipping today! i finally am understanding the proper way and i stayed for 2 hours after working on just my chipping. then i was putting for a 1/2 hour. would have stayed longer but my eyes were burning from no sleep. this is gonna save me so many strokes. next weeks lesson is putting on video with the G-Putt at Golftec then were gonna have a putting lesson at a local course the week after! i am soooo happy i finally am understanding how to chip properly i was so consistent with the new stroke its nuts i couldn't believe how ever chip i thought was gonna go in the hole. i just got to remember to keep my wrists locked cause every time i tried to scoop my wrists i scolded the ball across the green. great day today can't wait to get some tips on my putting next week. maybe my short game will finally start to come together.

Yay for you Buckjob! Keep up that practice and you will be a chipping pro before you know it and your putting average will go down too. Hope you're catching up on your rest!!

Great job everyone. I've been working a ton the past few days and haven't gotten to practice other than rolling some putts on my office putting green, but I am going to be playing tomorrow. Hopefully I get to the course early enough to get some putting practice in.

Great job everyone. I've been working a ton the past few days and haven't gotten to practice other than rolling some putts on my office putting green, but I am going to be playing tomorrow. Hopefully I get to the course early enough to get some putting practice in.

You need to make it a point to get there early and practice. You don't want CL to beat you in the handicap competition! Play well!!!

You need to make it a point to get there early and practice. You don't want CL to beat you in the handicap competition! Play well!!!

LOL, I am making a point of it, but sometimes work is just a pain and makes me do stuff for money.

My putting has been always been okay...yesterday I had 21 putts. It's my full swing that's really bad.

I'll play. I've always been a natural putter. I almost never 3 putt but I've never actually kept track of the number of putts I have in a round. I hope this will be a learning experience!

Would love to get to this one as well; shot my best, a 78, a few days ago, and still had 35 putts :(. Then yesterday shot an 80 that included 5 missed putts from less than 6 feet. I know it's mainly practice, I just have to start getting to the course early and actually do it. I find when I spend time on the 'circle the cup' drill from 4-8 feet I do improve for as long as I do it religiously.

I do need to track my numbers. I have settled in with a new gamer.

My putting has been always been okay...yesterday I had 21 putts. It's my full swing that's really bad.

9 holes or 18? 2 weeks ago I shot 74 with 34 putts, 21 putts gets me to 61. I guess I know what to work on.

Nice pics cg, looks like a fun course to play. I can see where you could be on the green but in trouble with trying to 2 putt.

Nice pics cg, looks like a fun course to play. I can see where you could be on the green but in trouble with trying to 2 putt.

Thats one of the problems at my home course, sometimes if you are on the wrong spot on the green, you can have a good 3 putt.

8 GIR
30 putts (two 3 putts)

Not bad on greens that were being aerated today. Sand all over them, not even finished dragging them yet. Lots of debris.

8 GIR
30 putts (two 3 putts)

Not bad on greens that were being aerated today. Sand all over them, not even finished dragging them yet. Lots of debris.

Grrrr, I hate it when I show up to aerated greens. 30 putts on that though KB is AWESOME!

Back