Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers

Low heel strike is what sold me during my fit. 3-5 mph better vs tsr3 and a solid ten yards of carry. Still spun up a bit but nothing crazy
Early on I lived off the heel quite often during my swing change and loved the distance I got from it.

Low heel strike is what sold me during my fit. 3-5 mph better vs tsr3 and a solid ten yards of carry. Still spun up a bit but nothing crazy
I know right? I hit heel side and honestly spin was within 100 rpm and the ball had maybe 5 yards of curve

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

I know right? I hit heel side and honestly spin was within 100 rpm and the ball had maybe 5 yards of curve

That low heel has some kind of weird, 100% legitimate voodoo 😂

My only question for anyone but particularly Denali users....

Was this the right shaft choice?
I had limited options. I had 15 launch soon range from 19-2400 with toe at low end and most around 2300.
My swing speed is 100-105 plus or minus a couple
Ball speeds around 148-152 on good swings. Sometimes can hit 155 or so but not yet . Haven't really played here in Canada since november

• What is your swing speed? Did you try Denali? At my 100-105 swing speed it was best fit. AV55 had very good numbers but if you look at the data closely dispersion was poor. Spin inconsistency from a low of 1600 to high of 3300. Face was all over the place.
    65 was much better In That regard but feel wasn't great and if it was my only other choice I would have picked it. Denali was just a bit tighter dispersion with similar launch and spin and for me better feel.

SS is hoverin around 96-98 mph at the moment. I didn't try the Denali. It was a quick one at the expo, so limited swing time. I'm severely spin and launch challenged, so we figured the Denali might not fit the bill.

SS is hoverin around 96-98 mph at the moment. I didn't try the Denali. It was a quick one at the expo, so limited swing time. I'm severely spin and launch challenged, so we figured the Denali might not fit the bill.
Numbers for Denali were similar for me to av 65. There is a Denali blue too.

I had limited options. I had 15 launch soon range from 19-2400 with toe at low end and most around 2300.
Ball speeds around 148-152 on good swings. Sometimes can hit 155 or so but not yet . Haven't really played here in Canada since november

What was your carry?

Sounds like Denali should be good for you. I wouldn’t want to launch it at more than 15. All of the other stock options should launch higher (on paper)

I am intrigued because I hate missing left, and they may be a good way to help that miss
I hate missing left too, and the red line COG will help out with that.

I hate missing left too, and the red line COG will help out with that.
I have one up and ready to purchase. Will definitely need to try it out

Sounds like Denali should be good for you. I wouldn’t want to launch it at more than 15. All of the other stock options should launch higher (on paper)
Ironically was launching them all between 14 and 15. I think the Denali had least left bias given the stiffer tip so that might have added a touch of loft bit spin stayed at a fairly low number. Was worried spin would be too low but even on toe misses it never seemed to stray below 1900 and the toe shots launched higher so ball stayed in the air forever. Had 1 toe miss went 285 total on a drive that had no business being on within 40 yards of center and wasa baby draw of 5 yards. That sold me!

Numbers for Denali were similar for me to av 65. There is a Denali blue too.

The one we discussed and he had on hand was the Black. I'm sure there are plenty of more suiting shafts for me on the Smoke.
This was just for me to get an initial feel for what the does to me. I try to get a feel for the ones that interest me each year.

Good strikes carry was over 260 and total over 275 with max total on a straight ball of 283

Ironically was launching them all between 14 and 15. I think the Denali had least left bias given the stiffer tip so that might have added a touch of loft bit spin stayed at a fairly low number. Was worried spin would be too low but even on toe misses it never seemed to stray below 1900 and the toe shots launched higher so ball stayed in the air forever. Had 1 toe miss went 285 total on a drive that had no business being on within 40 yards of center and wasa baby draw of 5 yards. That sold me!

Sounds like a good fit

Sounds like a good fit
Great thanks. I always worry about spin. Back in the day I remember TaylorMade coming to my home course with trackman ( around time of the supertri driver I think so long ago). My swing was so low spin the fitter couldn't get me into a driver then as my spin was sub 2000 in an era where we didn't see that. Best launch nu.bers were with the tour 3 wood lol.

My swing has evolved and improved but I generally live at the lower end of spin and so rarely play anything less than 10.5*. I usually use the mid torque and spin options.

Thought the AV55 stiff would have been best for my swing and it gave great numbers but was loose and I think the tip shut the face a bit more which is why it spun same or lower and even launched a bit lower than Denali.

This driver head with Denali was great at spinsistency to quote Ping. From high toe to mid low heel saw only a 500 RPM total difference!

And outside of an OTT pull hook swing everythi g else was straight with a bit of fall off left or right but less than 10 yards of curve.

Great thanks. I always worry about spin. Back in the day I remember TaylorMade coming to my home course with trackman ( around time of the supertri driver I think so long ago). My swing was so low spin the fitter couldn't get me into a driver then as my spin was sub 2000 in an era where we didn't see that. Best launch nu.bers were with the tour 3 wood lol.

My swing has evolved and improved but I generally live at the lower end of spin and so rarely play anything less than 10.5*. I usually use the mid torque and spin options.

Thought the AV55 stiff would have been best for my swing and it gave great numbers but was loose and I think the tip shut the face a bit more which is why it spun same or lower and even launched a bit lower than Denali.

This driver head with Denali was great at spinsistency to quote Ping. From high toe to mid low heel saw only a 500 RPM total difference!

And outside of an OTT pull hook swing everythi g else was straight with a bit of fall off left or right but less than 10 yards of curve.

When you find the right shaft with the Smoke, the spin window from the good to bad is impressively small (at least it’s been with me).

There’s always the danger of getting too caught up in numbers. I’ve been on a monitor enough to have a good idea of what I need. I look at carry, spin, dispersion, peak height, launch, and descent angle.

It seems like the Denali suits you and you feel comfortable swinging it.

Yeah very easy to get caught up in numbers. When you look at other site club test and wanted data the standard max driver seemed slow with ball speed. About 2 mph from the fastest. And only middle pack dispersion.
At first this wasn't on my radar.
Was thinking more dark speed family.

Tried standard dark speed 1 dat and all I hit were hooks 40 yards off line and didn't like sound or feel. In fact preferred the old LTDX. This was with new LINQ blue shaft which should have been good fit.

This on other hand was fantastically straight. If I am 2 yards shorter then the longest driver out there but I get this kind of accuracy and forgiveness I will take it. Chances are the right shaft will do more than the head for such subtle differences.

I also have a GD tour AD HD head in 5stiff which is a great fit for me and was incredible in Paradym series.

Have not tried yet in the new Max but that or Denali will be my shaft this season.

This is from a sim round today. The course had some make-believe elevation so the distance isn't the focus here, but damn this setup is just nailed for me.

1000004004.jpg

Yeah very easy to get caught up in numbers. When you look at other site club test and wanted data the standard max driver seemed slow with ball speed. About 2 mph from the fastest. And only middle pack dispersion.
At first this wasn't on my radar.
Was thinking more dark speed family.

Tried standard dark speed 1 dat and all I hit were hooks 40 yards off line and didn't like sound or feel. In fact preferred the old LTDX. This was with new LINQ blue shaft which should have been good fit.

This on other hand was fantastically straight. If I am 2 yards shorter then the longest driver out there but I get this kind of accuracy and forgiveness I will take it. Chances are the right shaft will do more than the head for such subtle differences.

I also have a GD tour AD HD head in 5stiff which is a great fit for me and was incredible in Paradym series.

Have not tried yet in the new Max but that or Denali will be my shaft this season.

It’s rare I buy something without testing it first. Seeing numbers is all fine and good but I haven’t found using someone else’s numbers or experience to be the end all, be all. It might help narrow down some choices based on what I might need but that’s about it for me.

1.5 smash factor FTW
Good things happen when the contact is efficient.

I took the 10.5° TD head, dialed it down to 9.5° and moved the heavy weight forward. It's a Project X 4th Gen Hazrdus Black 6.5 playing at 45°.

It's good.

Good things happen when the contact is efficient.

I took the 10.5° TD head, dialed it down to 9.5° and moved the heavy weight forward. It's a Project X 4th Gen Hazrdus Black 6.5 playing at 45°.

It's good.
I have a different shaft but otherwise that is my setup. Very happy with it.

Tour event last weekend was a really rough driving day. Just couldn’t get anything going but got back out on the range and think I semi resolved it. I think I crowded the ball at the tourney which is just hard to identify/make adjustment during tourney play. Was absolutely ripping it and trying to develop a draw. I always wanted to be able to add a draw to my driver game.

Overall I think it is important to remember that even with advances in technology and AI, that a driver can only do so much. If you have significant swing flaws, like next level issues, a driver isn't going to give you 300 yds with a draw into the middle of the fairway.

Able to make a decent swing and find the face? That Ai Face is going to help you out, minimize your miss and make it less penalizing. Need to tweak for a draw or fade? Well the sliding weight could help to get you to that desired shot shape. Adjust the OptiFit adaptor, add loft, or take some away, and get those spin numbers more in line with where you want it.

Here is sort of where it gets personal/frustrating/entertaining:
I saw a lot of those changes at ECPC. Even more when I got home and could really look at numbers.

What the driver won't do, in all honesty, is fix things if you suck (for lack of a better way of putting it).

Currently, I suck. Absolutely terrible. The worst. Trying to undertake a grip change/swing change with a brand new set of clubs in the bag, is maybe the dumbest thing I have ever done. My confidence is sapped, and the results are over the place. The biggest issue, I cannot hit driver and woods to save my life. Changes screwed up how I deliver the clubhead, face and path are all sorts of silly. Spin still stays ok, but launch has tanked.

If you want to see absolute disaster, I've got some numbers for you... they aren't pretty:
Spoiler

Messing around with old grip. Not great, but my straight to fade came back. (Old grip technique, new screwed up swing)
20240323_103433.jpg
Swings below with incorporating the new grip, and in effect a new swing since everything changed.
20240323_103421.jpg20240323_103442.jpg

The hope is that with instruction, analyzing club data, and hard work, that we can build back to better than we were before. The idea of pairing that with the new Smoke Max driver is exciting, and really keeping me going at this point.

Last edited:
Overall I think it is important to remember that even with advances in technology and AI, that a driver can only do so much. If you have significant swing flaws, like next level issues, a driver isn't going to give you 300 yds with a draw into the middle of the fairway.

Able to make a decent swing and find the face? That Ai Face is going to help you out, minimize your miss and make it less penalizing. Need to tweak for a draw or fade? Well the sliding weight could help to get you to that desired shot shape. Adjust the OptiFit adaptor, add loft, or take some away, and get those spin numbers more in line with where you want it.

Here is sort of where it gets personal/frustrating/entertaining:
I saw a lot of those changes at ECPC. Even more when I got home and could really look at numbers.

What the driver won't do, in all honesty, is fix things if you suck (for lack of a better way of putting it).

Currently, I suck. Absolutely terrible. The worst. Trying to undertake a grip change/swing change with a brand new set of clubs in the bag, is maybe the dumbest thing I have ever done. My confidence is sapped, and the results are over the place. The biggest issue, I cannot hit driver and woods to save my life. Changes screwed up how I deliver the clubhead, face and path are all sorts of silly. Spin still stays ok, but launch has tanked.

If you want to see absolute disaster, I've got some numbers for you... they aren't pretty:
Spoiler

Messing around with old grip. Not great, but my straight to fade came back. (Old grip technique, new screwed up swing)
View attachment 9251263
Swings below with incorporating the new grip, and in effect a new swing since everything changed.
View attachment 9251264View attachment 9251265

The hope is that with instruction, analyzing club data, and hard work, that we can build back to better than we were before. The idea of pairing that with the new Smoke Max driver is exciting, and really keeping me going at this point.

Think positive, you are following the right path, just give it some time. It will be slow and at times frustrating but at times you need to take a step backwards to move ahead 2 steps. You have the right driver and quality instruction, just stay positive.

One point as I know you are undergoing a grip change. I agree they always are uncomfortable. Ben Hogan wrote once to deal with a grip change, while watching television at night, have an iron nearby and hold it for 30 minutes a night. I did that probably 20 years ago and did it for a month and I recall taking probably 10-20 easy swings during that time to get used to it. Worked for me but today I still work on my grip, it does work. Good luck, we’re all cheering you on.

Back