TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

I just got my 2.0s yesterday, but had the opportunity to demo them multiple times out on the course, and spent over a month hitting them at my local shop. I went with the Stiff TM Burner shafts over the KBS Tour. Personally, I preferred the feel of the Burner shafts, and felt that my ball flight was where I wanted it to be with these, than over the KBS' shafts. I felt that I had more of a ballooning ball flight with the KBS, so decided to go with the stock stiffs.

Im sure the testers/reviewers will be able to provide more information than I, but wanted to share my thought process after hitting/demoing these clubs, then purchasing.

I do not have an apples to apples comparison for you, but I can relate my results with my R9's with a KBS 90 gram Stiff shaft to the 2.0's with the KBS Tour Stiff 120 gram shaft. The lofts are 1 degree stronger with the 2.0's so there is a slight difference.

I had a problem with hitting the R9's too high. Not all the time, but there were days that the ball flight was way too high. Most of those days were struggles for me. Lost distance, leaked shots, and if there was any wind I was in real trouble.

With the heavier shaft and higher kick point of the KBS Tour, along with the 2.0 head, there is no doubt my ball flight is lower that I had with my previous irons. I would say it is 10-15% lower, but it is tough to calculate. All I can say is that the difference is noticable to the naked eye. How much of it is the the shaft? Or is it the lower lofts of the 2.0 heads? I'm not sure I can accurately tell you. If I had to guess, I would say it is 70% shaft and 30% head. A 1 degree diffence in loft is something, but it isn't enough to make the noticable difference I am seeing. This is why I say the shaft has more to do with the lower ball flight than the head.

I haven't had a chance to game the 2.0's with the stock shaft, but I have hit them on the range. To the eye my ball flight was a bit higher with the stock, but not terribly. The stock stiff shaft for you shouldn't lower ball flight a ton. It is still a higher launching shaft.

I am gaming the 2.0's with the stock stiff shaft, and I am not seeing a lower ball flight by any means. I hit these very high, not ballooning mind you, but no one would think I was getting a low trajectory.

Excellent feedback guys, thank you.

I am gaming the 2.0's with the stock stiff shaft, and I am not seeing a lower ball flight by any means. I hit these very high, not ballooning mind you, but no one would think I was getting a low trajectory.

Just out of curiosity, yorkem, what was the deciding factor for you sticking with the stock shafts?

What do all the testers and anyone else gaming these irons think about their weight (swingweight)? All the testers seem to have hit a bad patch simultaneously. Any discomfort from playing these clubs? I certainly had a honeymoon period but then crashed. I was comfortably playing a couple of times a week but have done something odd to myself and have struggled to be physically comfortable for the last three rounds, with fortnight breaks in between. It's probably just me, I know I'm unfit. But I also think these clubs are heavy. Especially when trying to hit the ball, rather than taking a smooth and steady swing.

I have the heavier Project X 5.5 steel in my irons and dont think they are heavy by any means. I prefer the extra weight because it seems to help my tempo be more consistent at the top. I played 36 holes last fri and sat and didnt feel anymore tired than I wouldve previously.

Just out of curiosity, yorkem, what was the deciding factor for you sticking with the stock shafts?

It was a combination of 2 things actually. 1, When I was fit, I was told they would be really good for me, 2, they were much more similar to what I was used too, and 3, and this is the biggie, because I am lefty, I do not get a lot of opportunities to try out different shafts, and while the idea of trying something new when I was basically being given this set of irons was tempting, I didn't feel that I would be able to give a proper review on them because I would have had no basis for comparison. I hope that makes sense.

What do all the testers and anyone else gaming these irons think about their weight (swingweight)? All the testers seem to have hit a bad patch simultaneously. Any discomfort from playing these clubs? I certainly had a honeymoon period but then crashed. I was comfortably playing a couple of times a week but have done something odd to myself and have struggled to be physically comfortable for the last three rounds, with fortnight breaks in between. It's probably just me, I know I'm unfit. But I also think these clubs are heavy. Especially when trying to hit the ball, rather than taking a smooth and steady swing.

Well for me, I haven't hit this "bad patch" just yet. I'm still hitting very well with these. I put the heavier shafts in these, so they do feel a little heavier than normal, but I love it. I haven't ever hit irons this well or consistent, and I think a lot of it has to do with the weight. I think I'll always keep a heavier shaft in my irons, because light just makes me lose control of my swing.

Question time!

I've been playing the 2.0's for about 2+ months now and also trying to improve through lessons at GolfTec, as a result my swing has gotten better. I spoke to a fitter about reshafting my fairway wood and fitting me for a 7W or hybrid, he wanted to reshaft everything into a stiff flex, including my irons.

We jumped on the mizuno optimizer and it fit me to the KBS tour in stiff or Project X 6.0. My question as it relates to the 2.0 is how much will the stiffer shaft (staying with the TM burner shaft) bring the ball flight down? I'm not balloning anything now, actually like the flight I have currently.

I'm not really sure what those shafts will do for you in comparison to the stock shaft. I know the stock shaft is flighted, meaning that it will help get your 3,4,5 irons up, while not causing your more lofted clubs to balloon on you. I have the Project X Flighted shafts, and I think they are a perfect combo with these clubs. With this being the case, I think the stock shaft is also probably perfect for these clubs since it is like a lighter version of what I have.

It was a combination of 2 things actually. 1, When I was fit, I was told they would be really good for me, 2, they were much more similar to what I was used too, and 3, and this is the biggie, because I am lefty, I do not get a lot of opportunities to try out different shafts, and while the idea of trying something new when I was basically being given this set of irons was tempting, I didn't feel that I would be able to give a proper review on them because I would have had no basis for comparison. I hope that makes sense.

Gotcha, makes sense. Thanks.

I bought a used 4-PW set of the 2.0's about a month ago, after a TM fitting and reading the reviews in this thread. Today they really "clicked" for me. I played a few rounds and spent some time on the range in the past month, but the last 12 or so holes today were a huge improvement. Dead straight and distances were as expected. I did have some instances of extremely high ball flight, but I think a lot of that had to do with hitting into the wind. I worked on making a minor adjustment of keeping my left wrist straight on the takeaway (instead of a bad habit slightly hinging at about 3 o'clock in the swing), which resulted in a square face at contact. Because of the wrist hinge habit in the past, I was hitting slightly open which resulted in mediocre shots. The difference between square and slightly open in these - and any other set I'm sure - is night and day. It just feels so damn good to hit these pure!

Now I just need them cut down 1" and I'll be all set.

Update!

I played yesterday in league night with the 2.0's. I had a wonderful night with the irons.

Hole 1
394 yard par 4. Crush a drive to 100 yards. Chunk a wedge. Chip on and 2 putt for a 5.

Hole 2
371 yard par 4. Tee off with Mashie. 160 or so left to the green. Hit an 8I a bit thin that lands 5 yards short but goes perfectly straight. Chip on and 2 putt for a 5.

Hole 3
321 yard par 4. Rip a driver to about 80 yards. Wedge on and 3 putt for a 5.

Hole 4
186 yard par 3. Tee box is moved up to about 165 but its uphill the whole way. I don't club up and hit an 8I, leaving it about 10 yards short right in front of the pin. Flub a chip, chip on and 1 putt for a 4.

Hole 5
408 yard par 4. Rip a 3W to about 140. Hit an easy 9I that lands on the right fringe. Chip/2 putt for a 5.

Hole 6
152 yard par 3. Play an easy 8I that lands on the right fringe, pin high. Chip/2 putt for a 4.

Hole 7
548 yard par 5. Rip a drive to about 250. Easy 7I from the left rough, around the tree to 100 yards. Wedge to 10 feet. 3 putt for a 6.

Hole 8
334 yard par 4. Strip a 6I right down the middle that almost hits the 150 yard marker. Hit a 9I onto the green. 3 putt for a 5.

Hole 9
358 yard par 4. All uphill. Hit an easy drive to keep it in the fairway. Left with about 135 to the hole. Whack a 9I to about 5 inches. Tap in bird.

Final score: 42
Match score: 7-2 (I won)

The irons were straight as can be today. I was making very crisp contact and had a great piercing ball flight.So whatever I had in my system to mess me up before, seems like its gone. I easily could have gone 5 strokes lower if it wasn't for my chipping/putting. Oh well, can't complain about solid results.

Update!

I played yesterday in league night with the 2.0's. I had a wonderful night with the irons.

Hole 1
394 yard par 4. Crush a drive to 100 yards. Chunk a wedge. Chip on and 2 putt for a 5.

Hole 2
371 yard par 4. Tee off with Mashie. 160 or so left to the green. Hit an 8I a bit thin that lands 5 yards short but goes perfectly straight. Chip on and 2 putt for a 5.

Hole 3
321 yard par 4. Rip a driver to about 80 yards. Wedge on and 3 putt for a 5.

Hole 4
186 yard par 3. Tee box is moved up to about 165 but its uphill the whole way. I don't club up and hit an 8I, leaving it about 10 yards short right in front of the pin. Flub a chip, chip on and 1 putt for a 4.

Hole 5
408 yard par 4. Rip a 3W to about 140. Hit an easy 9I that lands on the right fringe. Chip/2 putt for a 5.

Hole 6
152 yard par 3. Play an easy 8I that lands on the right fringe, pin high. Chip/2 putt for a 4.

Hole 7
548 yard par 5. Rip a drive to about 250. Easy 7I from the left rough, around the tree to 100 yards. Wedge to 10 feet. 3 putt for a 6.

Hole 8
334 yard par 4. Strip a 6I right down the middle that almost hits the 150 yard marker. Hit a 9I onto the green. 3 putt for a 5.

Hole 9
358 yard par 4. All uphill. Hit an easy drive to keep it in the fairway. Left with about 135 to the hole. Whack a 9I to about 5 inches. Tap in bird.

Final score: 42
Match score: 7-2 (I won)

The irons were straight as can be today. I was making very crisp contact and had a great piercing ball flight.So whatever I had in my system to mess me up before, seems like its gone. I easily could have gone 5 strokes lower if it wasn't for my chipping/putting. Oh well, can't complain about solid results.

Nice job Jefrazie. I am hoping to get back to my early consistancy that I had with the 2.0's. I am heading out for a long weekend on the boat at the lake with no golf at all, then play a round Monday. Hoping the time away resets my swing a bit. From there I am going to work at the range and on video to get ready for my end of the year tourneys.

Hi Guys, as ever thanks for the continued updates, i mentioned earlier i was working away , well i have just caught the plane out of Afghanistan and am now going to spend my hard earned on a new set of irons, customfitting booked for monday at the Belfry:)and whilst i have to keep remiding myself that i must go to the fitting with an open mind, i so hope the figures lead to the 2's. am glad most of you seem to have got over the slighly 'off' patch with them, " i cannot think of a better way to forget your swing woes than going off to your boat for the weekend, BTW."
i have re read the whole thread this evening as whilst in afghan i could not see the pictures and though very early on , in thread alot of you decided to change the stock grips for various types. Question, does having different types of grips happen at TM - and if so how long does it add to receipt of your order. i understand that you can have the existing ones stripped off by your Pro or could learn to do it off the internet, but i presume there is a financial incentive to having replacement grips fitted before stock grips are fittted.
i have 10 days from monday before i move to germany so hope to get them within the 7-10 days i have been told tM usually take. any thoughts appreciated - infact update by the one reveiwer i remeber that did not change the grip also appreciated.

Regards
Dez

Hi Guys, as ever thanks for the continued updates, i mentioned earlier i was working away , well i have just caught the plane out of Afghanistan and am now going to spend my hard earned on a new set of irons, customfitting booked for monday at the Belfry:)and whilst i have to keep remiding myself that i must go to the fitting with an open mind, i so hope the figures lead to the 2's. am glad most of you seem to have got over the slighly 'off' patch with them, " i cannot think of a better way to forget your swing woes than going off to your boat for the weekend, BTW."
i have re read the whole thread this evening as whilst in afghan i could not see the pictures and though very early on , in thread alot of you decided to change the stock grips for various types. Question, does having different types of grips happen at TM - and if so how long does it add to receipt of your order. i understand that you can have the existing ones stripped off by your Pro or could learn to do it off the internet, but i presume there is a financial incentive to having replacement grips fitted before stock grips are fittted.
i have 10 days from monday before i move to germany so hope to get them within the 7-10 days i have been told tM usually take. any thoughts appreciated - infact update by the one reveiwer i remeber that did not change the grip also appreciated.

Regards
Dez

I'm not really sure how much longer it would take them to build your clubs if you change the grips. I wouldn't think it would take too long. Maybe someone else will know that one. They will do it for you though.

I'm not really sure how much longer it would take them to build your clubs if you change the grips. I wouldn't think it would take too long. Maybe someone else will know that one. They will do it for you though.

I had my clubs custom made at TM and changed to the GP NDMC grips with ZERO perceivable delay. I don't know all of the different OEM grips they carry, but they have some that will not delay a custom shipment at all.

So I got my 2.0s in earlier this week, and have only been out on the range with them. Granted, I have demo'd them for a full round a couple times, tomorrow will be the first round with my own. Looking forward to see how the perform for me, I have been killing them at the range.

Short Irons
& Wet Grips

This may be an odd post, but I think it’s testament to how solid the short irons are. I played 18 holes yesterday and was again in agony before getting half way round. I don’t know what I’ve done to my back and stomach, but I’m not even going to swing a club for a month now. Which will be hell! Anyway, I hadn’t even tried playing anything longer than my 6i, and on the back nine I came down to 9i and wedges. These I felt I could hit comfortably… and then my fun started. The 11th was a 450yard par 5, uphill with ditches and a pond, perfect for three 9i shots for me. And so I placed it nicely on the green in three, and pared it more easily than my friend who’d driven to 300 off the tee. There were lots of par 4s at around 300yards, so I played them all as two 9irons… which had been a plan in mind before playing anyway, but on-course I’d wanted to hit longer. Another dog leg around two ponds was played in two strokes and pared. And a SW put me 5ft from the hole, and a birdie, on a 105yard par3.

So I am loving the 9i through SW. I’ve felt immediate intuition for distance with them all. Full and half swings have been inch perfect so many times in the last few months. Which reminds me, I also chipped in from 30ft on one hole, which was fantastic because typically I’m struggling from 40yards and under… I think I’m going to need the lob wedge!

Now as for wet grips…. It rained for ten minutes (whilst on the 11th actually, so I was even happier with my efforts) and it was immediately clear I could barely hold on to the clubs. This was despite getting the shower cap on the bag straight away. So really the smallest amount of wet lost me all purchase on the stock grip. To be fair, I’ve been playing with two gloves, which probably need replacing, and these were probably slightly damp, whilst the grips were barely touched by rain. I removed both gloves and towelled my hands and grips very well to keep hold. I played the rest of the course like this. I’m going to do some specific wet testing experiments when fit! I like the stock grips in the dry, but I’m starting to expect they’re not the best in the wet. Not that I have experience of others for comparison.

Last edited:
Would love to hear more from the testers on this one. Its been kind of slow for a while.

Well I jinxed myself last week by telling you guys I havent hit "the rut" yet. I was able to play 18 and hit a range session this weekend and had VERY mixed results both days. Fortunately, I continue to be really strong with the short clubs (9-SW) and even had a kick in birdie from 119 using the custom AW I bought to match my set. The inconsistency was with my mid irons where I seemed to pickup the hooks again as everything was going long and left. No matter what I tried to concentrate on, the long irons were headed left.

I know I've said it a few times before, but I continue to be very impressed in the wedges. My P-SW game is SO much more consistent now, its really become one of the things I rely on to save my scores. I just get much more accuracy and distance off the mishits over my previous Vokey wedges, that I cant imagine going back.

I am starting to see some 'chatter wear' on the backs of the clubs from them rubbing together in my bag as I walk, but they arent noticeable at address or affect play in any way.

Here is some back wear on my custom AW I ordered from my local shop after having so much success with the PW & SW:
IMAG0203.jpg

Here is some hosel chatter wear on my 6 iron:
IMAG0204.jpg

These are the worst wear spots I have after 2+ months of play involving 7-10 range sessions and 15 -18 rounds. Again, barely noticeable, but I wanted to share as several of our early questions were about durability.

Last edited:
Update!

Was able to get out Sunday afternoon after the hurricane on Saturday. Luckily, the course was actually pretty dry and in good condition.

I played my normal course, Keith hills from the tips.

Hole 1:
Par 4, 349 yards. Tee off with 3W to right rough. Hit a wonderful 8I from about 155 in some thick rough onto green. 3 putt for a 5

Hole 2:
Par 4, 409 yards. Mashie off the tee. Lay up to 150. Hit a 9I and get all of it and it flies just off the back of the green. Hmmmm, maybe this is the distance that they've been talking about? Chip/2 putt for a 6.

Hole 3:
Par 4, 360 yards. Driver to about 100. Wedge/2 putt for par.

Hole 4:
Par 3, 189 yards. Play a 6I and hit it pin high, but my alignment is off to the left edge of the green. 3 putt for a 4.

Hole 5:
Par 4, 349 yards. Good drive to 80 yards. Wedge, chip, 3 putt for 6.

Hole 6:
Par 5, 563 yards. Good drive to 300. Pull the 4I out after having some good luck with it. Stripe it perfectly down the middle to about 70 yards. Chip/2 putt for par.

Hole 7:
Par 3, 188 yards. This hole frustrates me to no end. 170 yard carry over water with water on right and behind green. I have a little wind at my back and a front pin so I play a 7I. First shot of the day that leaks a bit right. Just enough to land on the green, take a bad bounce right into the water. :angry: I re-tee and stick one to 3" from the hole. I thought that sucker was going to go in. It tracked straight at the pin and landed 3" to the right of it. That would have been a seriously bittersweet par. Tap in for a 4.

Hole 8:
Par 4, 407 yards. Fade my drive a bit right and to about 185. I play a great 6I to the left edge of the green over some trees that just rolls off the green. Chip/putt for par.

Hole 9:
Par 5, 495 yards. Great drive down the middle to 230. Hit 3W into right greenside bunker. At this point I forget how to hit the ball and take 2 shots to get out of the bunker. Chip/2 putt for a 7.

Front 9 score: 45

Hole 10:
Par 4, 408 yards. Good drive off to about 155. Hit a wonderful 9I to about 5 feet. 2 putt for par.

Hole 11:
Par 5, 557 yards. Hook my drive off the tee. Have to punch out and of course I was misaligned and catch a tree. Caught it perfectly and stayed nice and low, I just cant aim. 7

Hole 12:
Par 3, 164 yards. Perfect 8I to about 10 feet. 3 PUTT....4

Hole 13:
Par 4, 297 yards. Very narrow hole, great risk/reward hole. I try to drive the green and lose my drive OB to the right. Re-tee hit to middle of the fairway. Stick wedge to 2 feet, putt for bogey.

Hole 14:
Par 4, 377 yards. Dogleg left. Tee off with 5I and it leaks a bit to the right. Have to hit a big hook around a tree and I pull it off perfectly with the 5I. Chip on/2 putt for bogey.

Hole 15:
Par 5, 512 yards. Drive to 260. Pull 4I and rip it to about 40 yards. 4I is becoming $ for me at this point. Chip/2 putt for par.

Hole 16:
Par 3, 198 yards. First "hook" of the day with my irons. Went about 20 yards to the left of the green but was safe. Chip on/3 putt for a 5.

Hole 17:
Par 4, 393 yards. Top a 3W 100 yards. Try to bend my 4I around the trees and ends up being caught in them. Punch out successfully. Chip on, 2 putt.

Hole 18:
Par 4,420 yards. Great 3W down the middle to about 185. Hit 6I and again mis-align. End up in right greenside bunker. Chip out to fringe. Chip on/2 putt for a 6.

Back 9 score: 47

Very disappointing 92 total score. I felt like I easily should have shot 10 shots lower with how well I was striking my irons. I made crisp contact all day with them. I really love the feel I am getting with them and I am seeing my distance return to where my previous clubs were at. This upcoming week in league play, we are using 3 clubs only so I will let you guys know about some "specialty" shots that I will have to take. I'm thinking about bringing the 4I, 7I and my 50*. I also want to thank Taylormade again for this wonderful opportunity. I really am extremely gracious that I have been able to test these awesome irons.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

I'm going to try to upload a couple pics tonight of the wear so everyone can get an idea how they hold up.

Re: Wear from bag chatter...

I bought some iron head covers (Castle Bay, Black) which look very smart when on. But when on course I totally give up bothering to get them on and off. They're tied together, so I am sure they work almost as well as spacers. But I am also sure they're effectively having a subtle fading effect on the head coating. I suppose it's not as obvious as scratches, but my irons look slightly lighter in colour to me now.

Has anyone ever tried the golf club clips from this company http://www.golfclubclip.com/ ?
I came up with this same idea in my head and went online to see if any such items had been made. I only found this one place. If they work I would have thought they could make quite a lot of money. And why don't bag manufacturers build something like this into their bags???

Has anyone ever tried the golf club clips from this company http://www.golfclubclip.com/ ?
I came up with this same idea in my head and went online to see if any such items had been made. I only found this one place. If they work I would have thought they could make quite a lot of money. And why don't bag manufacturers build something like this into their bags???

I believe Bag Boy has a few models that have something similar, but in a 14-way organizer. Those golfclips look interesting though.

Very disappointing 92 total score. I felt like I easily should have shot 10 shots lower with how well I was striking my irons. I made crisp contact all day with them. I really love the feel I am getting with them and I am seeing my distance return to where my previous clubs were at. This upcoming week in league play, we are using 3 clubs only so I will let you guys know about some "specialty" shots that I will have to take. I'm thinking about bringing the 4I, 7I and my 50*. I also want to thank Taylormade again for this wonderful opportunity. I really am extremely gracious that I have been able to test these awesome irons.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

I'm going to try to upload a couple pics tonight of the wear so everyone can get an idea how they hold up.

When I upgraded to these irons from my old irons of ten years, my swing was a total mess. Over 50% of my shots were slicing right. Whatever I adjusted nothing worked. Then, I spoke with someone who gave me a few tips. The following week I began hitting better and better. The two things I changed was my stance on the ball and the grip. Because these, for me, are much longer than my old irons the toe was in the wrong position with my old grip and stance.

It's been about three/four months and I can honestly say I've finally gotten the feel for these irons. This is with hitting the range about 3-4 times a week and hitting the course 1-3 times a week. Overall, my time at the range has really helped tremendously. I went to the range this evening and hit 135 balls. Around 100 of them went dead straight. I finally have a feel for the range of almost each club now, something that frustrated me to no end when I upgraded. My core irons: 3i goes 220/230, 6i goes 190/200, 7i goes 150, PW goes 100. But, it's taken a long time. If you really think about it...3-4 times a week at the range for 3-4 months. That's a lot of practice balls :)

When I upgraded to these irons from my old irons of ten years, my swing was a total mess. Over 50% of my shots were slicing right. Whatever I adjusted nothing worked. Then, I spoke with someone who gave me a few tips. The following week I began hitting better and better. The two things I changed was my stance on the ball and the grip. Because these, for me, are much longer than my old irons the toe was in the wrong position with my old grip and stance.

It's been about three/four months and I can honestly say I've finally gotten the feel for these irons. This is with hitting the range about 3-4 times a week and hitting the course 1-3 times a week. Overall, my time at the range has really helped tremendously. I went to the range this evening and hit 135 balls. Around 100 of them went dead straight. I finally have a feel for the range of almost each club now, something that frustrated me to no end when I upgraded. My core irons: 3i goes 220/230, 6i goes 190/200, 7i goes 150, PW goes 100. But, it's taken a long time. If you really think about it...3-4 times a week at the range for 3-4 months. That's a lot of practice balls :)

That is alot of practice balls, but glad you finally have them dialed in. How much shorter was your previous set? Did you get fitted for your current set or were they just bought off the rack? I did not see the same break in period, but my test irons are the same length as my other set. It did take me 2-3 range sessions to fully trust the distance gaps.

Sorry for the 5 day layoff, I was with the family on an end of summer trip the the lake cabin.

Last night I put in a monster range session with the 2.0's to try and get my swing back. I have a company schramble today and needed to at least try and compete since my recent swing issues have really frustrated me. I will be the low handicap player on our team (by a long ways) and I will need to be on to even have a slight chance to win.

Started with the standard 50* wedge warmups and was hitting the ball pretty well. I am working on getting a better rotation with my shoulders and hips as I have fallen into some bad habits lately. Unfortunately this session was all on a mat, we have very few turf ranges around here.

SW, PW, 9 iron- I am still getting used to the SW. I seem to hit alot of thin shots with it. I am used to a more classic looking blade style wedge. Hit a few good shots with it. It is my 90-100 yard club, but for some reason I am not real comfortable with it. Hit 3 thin that went about 115 like a rocket. Two others were hit very well and went right at 100 yards and REALLY high. Chunked one and decided to work on the rest of the set. Hit 10 balls each with the PW and 9 iron and nearly all were flushed. I have been solid thoughout with these clubs, so I really wasn't focusing on my shorter irons for this session. The good news is with my better hip/shoulder rotation, I am back to my distances in the beginning. Solid distances between 135-143 yards with every swing with the PW. 145-155 yards with the 9 iron. Remember, these are range balls and I typically hit the ball a few yards further on the course with the Penta or Z Star.

8 iron, 7 iron- I have been hitting the ball well with these clubs, but no accurately. I had lost some distance recently and had a case of the pulls recently. So my work here was to rotate through the ball better and try more for accuracy. Good news is my distance is back here and I was vastly more accurate. With the 8 iron, I was firing at a flag that lasered 165 yards. It was a bit awkward as it was the only flag close to the distance I needed for the 8 and was about 25 degrees left of the way my mat was facing. I was fairly accurate with most of my 10 strikes with the 8 iron and the distances were also there. I had a couple of mis hits, one thin and one fat. The fat shot went about 120 and was UGLY, and the thin shot might have held the green, it was low and ugly too, but rolled up left of the pin around 20 feet. I am always impressed with the mis hit accuracy of the 2.0's. With the 7 iron I was aiming at a flag 185 yards out. I came up short on most of my shots, but not by much. I was sitting right at 178-183 with most shots. A couple were very well struck and would have been pretty close to tap in range. It seems my pull issues are corrcted (for now). I am still in love with the feel of a nicely struck iron shot with the 2.0's. It is as if you hit nothing, so sweet.

6 iron- Started out as my favorite club in the set and has slowly moved down the rankings. I had lost a good chunk of distance with it and was fighting a fade (with my 4,5,6 irons). I had gone from 200-210 yards with my 6 iron to around 190 and a 5-8 yard fade. I knew that if I the fundamentals I was working on were working, these last 3 clubs were going to tell me if I was improving more than any of the others. I hit 20 balls with the 6 and my love affair with it may be back. 20 swings and only 1 bad mis hit. Hit it fat and it went about 140 yards. Hit 2 others slightly thin, could tell by the feedback in my hands and the ball flight was lower, but the results were actually quite good. The 200 yard flag was my target (actually lasered to 205), and I was peppering it. Beautiful ball flights, almost dead straght and high but not too high. Balls were landing soft with one hop. I was a little short with most, but they were all right about 195-205 (which translates to 200-210 on the course). MY DISTANCE IS BACK! An old guy was hitting in the stall next to me and actually asked what I was hitting. I told him 6 iron and he was shocked, but that wasnt what he was asking, he meant the brand of clubs. He said they sounded great when I hit them. I told him the were 2011 TM Burner 2.0's and how much I loved them and he said he should maybe look into them.

5 iron- At this point I am very happy about the range session so far. I am an hour into it and getting a little tired. I had wakeboarded and tubed behind our new boat all weekend and it was getting to me. Hit 10 balls with the 5 iron and had some mixed results, but mostly good. The pured long iron shots with the 2.0's are just beautiful. I hit 3 balls with the 5 iron that I would call perfect. They started low and piercing, slowly gaining altitude to the peak and landed as soft as you could ever expect with a long iron about 210 yards out. So fricken awesome. Also had a couple of shots that were hit a groove or two low on the face that lost some yardage (about 190), but were actually decent. I like the feedback from the mis hits with the 2.0's. It is enough to tell you what you did wrong, but it doesn't kill your hands, and it sounds noticably different. Had a slight toe hit that turned out decent as well, but only went 195... haha ONLY. With my old set I had to flush a 5 iron for 200 yards!

4 iron- Had about 13 balls left when I got to the 4 iron, and I was tired. At this point was winding down on my second bucket of balls and over an hour of swinging the 2.0's. I am surprised to tell you that I finished strong! Like the 6 iron, my 4 had lost distance and I was fading it terribly (about 10 yards). I had to aim significantly left of target over the past couple of rounds to account for it and I brought alot of trouble into play which has hurt my score. I was only getting about 205 yards of distance with it, but not anymore. First swing.... BOOM.... sounded so good and felt better. The fence of this range is about 230 out where I was aiming and I one hopped it! Thats what I'm talking about! Almost perfectly straight with about 2 yards of fade. To me perfect ball flight. I thought to myself "I would love to have the confidence with this club to do this off a tee box on a layup style par 4". After the next few shot I think I might. I bombed 4 more out ther nearly as far (not quite) about 220. But these are range balls... 220 is more like 230 or more. Just sick.

I wanted to hit a few drives so I hit the R11 with the last few balls to finish. Crushed it as well! It seems my swing may be back and the 2.0's will need to perform today in the schramble tourney (take the best drive and all 4 players finish the hole with thier own ball from there). It is a fun format. Let's hope I can carry a GREAT range session to the course today. I am going to need to pop a few advil before the round as I woke up really sore!

I know it's been a while since I've posted a big write up, and I apologize. I will be getting back out on the course this weekend, as the week is filled with school stuff. Here are a couple of pictures though to show wear on the clubs. These clubs are the 7 and 9 irons, which I use constantly when on the range. Not sure how many shots have been hit with each one, but a few hundred easily. Both are still in really good shape, and it looks like I left a little bit of dirt on one of them.

2011-08-29_23-57-59_405.jpg

2011-08-29_23-57-51_78.jpg

I think bag chatter is inevitable with irons, IMO (especially when carrying like I do). My Cleveland CG Golds have the same chatter marks, but with them, the polished chrome just wears off and looks dull.

Back