SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

I posted a little while back that I found out about a series of short game classes at a range nearby my house. I called this morning and luckily for me there was still room in the class available. The classes are Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. The same stuff is taught in each class for one week, and then they move on to the next thing the following week. My limited understanding is that today we will hit on everything (from putting out to roughly 100 yards), and receive a "short game handicap". Then after taking all of the classes we will be tested again to judge our improvement. I'll make another thread for the entirety of the test, as I don't want to muddy up the test thread with the putting classes or anything else that does not fit here. I am really looking forward to this as a part of my SCOR testing.

If you have any interest the other thread can be found here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?25229-Short-game-classes&p=906680#post906680

Unfortunately, I need more than I can get with just tape. I may just pick up NDMCs for them to maintain consistency through my set. I like the feel of these grips, they're just too dern small.

I'm sorry we didn't have your grip specs when we built the testing set. We are able to build up grips with wraps...easily getting to mid-size roundness. Unfortunately, we do not offer custom grips...as you guys can attest better than anyone, our SCOR Golf grip is part of the overall system.

PS - I'm happy to send you additional grips at our expense if you want to build them up yourself. You could also try to find a local repair shop that can blow the grips off and build up without cutting them off.

Last edited:
That looks like a neat class MD.

So this morning I headed out bright and early for a quick 18 before the courses packed up. The goal again wasn't so much my overall score but how things went from 150 and in. I also wanted to see how some of my playing partners got on with them here and there (always have to leave them wanting more eh).

Approach shots to the green generally aren't my big problem. I'm pretty accurate with anything in the short to mid iron range however when I do miss it's usually ends up in a very awkward spot. This is the thing that adds a lot of shots to my game every round as I nearly always end up double chipping. It's either a two shots that are two short or one that's long and then a rescue chip. I didn't have enough confidence in the clubs to truely commit to every shot and even when I did, bad technique killed me. A quick course lesson and figuring out the things the wedges were trying to teach me on their own has helped a lot. It's also made me watch others and see how they make or flub wedge shots. This brings me to my main point of the day, where you keep your weight through the swing. I dearly love how getting the leading edge setup correctly automatically makes me have my weight forward through the swing allowing me to get down and through the ball easier. One of my friends is a terrible chipper both from the fairway and the rough but all it took him was 4 or 5 shots to get that lightbulb moment with his weight setup. I bet this is the thing that fitters and instructors love the most. That moment of AH HA! Quickly followed by "I got this".

The confidence that these wedges and Sydney have instilled in me right now (and hopefully going forward to a looooong time) lead to a solid 5 shot reduction inside 150 yards. The blow up holes aren't snowmen with 2 or 3 chips and 2 or 3 putts stringed together. A blowup hole today was two chips and two putts for a 6. Now that might not seem much to a lot of the low handicap guys but knowing that I won't get anything worse then a 6 on a terrible blowup hole is pretty cool.

I had two major flaws to my game and one of the other would get me every time. It was either the tee game or the short game when I missed. While the former is still tricky, the later is coming along nicely as I think 5 reduced strokes show. I'm not a short game wizard by any stretch, but competency is a huge step up and a very welcome improvement.

Nice questions Hawk.

My favorite feature is a bit hard to quantify in how it achieves this but it's the consistency. You don't end up with any fliers or shots that drop too soon unless you've botched the swing. The bounce cuts through the turf or breezes (coolly) through the turf. Something that I did last night which was wicked fun was I bought a hoola hoop from the dollar store and set it in my target area of a green. I then tried to put as many shots as possible in the circle with the 59, 55 and 51 wedge. Once I could do it somewhat consistently I then tried altering the launch and see if I could still do it. The later was a distaster but fun. I'm obviously going to need a lot more practice at it, but I really think it might be to key to locking in my distances with these.

I also expect it to help out with proper shot placement on the green. Instead of just trying to get by the flag or the frontish I want to be able to pick a 10 foot circle that leaves me with a good putting route and get it there most times.

As for challanging there's two things that I'm finding tricky.

The first is the shot trajectory. Just like my irons I hit a towering shot with these, so much so that low to medium flying birds are in serious danger. I've noticed that this means I need to pay more attention to what loft of club I'm using as well as what ball I'm using. On a windy/rainy day here I'm getting better results using a lower lofted club with a shorter swing and a different ball (Callaway's Hex pattern) vs a sunny warm day with no wind where I'll use more loft and a Penta or X3. This isn't really a huge downside but it's something I've had to think about in my shot making.

The really tricky/challanging part for me has been the blend of the wedges into the irons. I;'ve read a lot of Terry's writing both on his site and the Wedgeguy blog and tend to agree with a lot of it. More people could play blades in certain clubs then you might think and you're scoring irons should be more like wedges then your 4 or 6 iron. The tricky bit though is that I'm already doing what Terry says. My scoring irons are already blades with mass behind the ball though that throw the ball just as high and spin just as much. Now they don't have the V sole but they do have a lovely thin sole that allows me to pick the ball as is my MO and not get caught in the turf. As wedges, I love them. As scoring irons I'm finding it's a like for like trade. High launch, high spin, predictable results, great from the rough or fairway. I'm also not a true Pelz guy like CL, I don't take half or 3/4 shots with my 9 iron and I don't find I need to adjust the bounce on them.

I'm not discounting the SCOR's at all but I think someone who plays cavities in their scoring irons would get more use from this switch. If I was still using my MX200's I would be all over the PW/9 iron swap in a heart beat. I took the PW of the MX's out last night against the SCOR and the SCOR was much better through the turf and with spin. So much better it was silly actually especially for a picker. After getting use to splits and blades I don't think I will go back to cavity backs but if I did, there is no way I would be keeping the 9/PW and if possible I would likely want to switch the 8 as well.

Yes you do but only when setting up. In one of my large block of texts I mentioned how setup is key with these wedges and one of the reasons for that is getting the club settled on the correct bounce for the situation. Once you're setup and ready to swing, there's no manipulation in your swing to get it to perform correctly though, it just does it's thing beautifully.

There is a TON of great stuff in here from Super Tuna.

Hoola hoop practice - it may sound elementary, but I guarantee you it works. When I was in college, I spent every Monday (when courses were closed) at a intramural field hitting 80-110 yard shots at my teammates, trash cans and field goals. You'd be amazed at how much it helps your entire game getting consistent with these shots. Almost more importantly, becoming target specific instead of "just trying to hit the green". If you follow David Cook or any of the top golf teachers/mental minds, being target specific is CRITICAL on every shot. Instead of trying to hit that "side of the green"...how about a ball mark on the green. Instead of trying to get that 8 footer in the hole, hit that blade of grass hanging over the back of the cup. Instead of "don't hit it right on those trees" off the tee...hit that "no-cart" sign just left of the 100 marker in the fairway. Grab your shag bag and the kids...then head to your local baseball fields and have some fun with those wedges.

Towering shot trajectory - first, the flying birds comment is awesome...I sent some diet dr. pepper through my nose on that one. Seriously though, I'm puzzled you are seeing that. SCOR4161 are designed with a progressively higher center of mass as loft decreases from 61° to 41° to help control trajectory. I would expect your 43-47° SCOR4161 to fly significantly lower than your Nike VR Pro Combos. I noticed you have DG SL shafts in your irons...that might have something to do with it. Your SCOR4161 set should be a little heavier on a swingweight scale. Our G12 steel shaft (based on KBS Tour) should have a higher kick point and stiff tip too...so I would think you'd see lower ball flights comparatively.

Why replace 9i / PW - you are exactly right. First, if it's not broke, don't fix it. If you like your current 9i and PW, by no means would I suggest a change. As a wedge though, SCOR4161 will outperform anything out there. As a system of high lofted irons and wedges, SCOR4161 is one of a kind. Our short iron and PW lofts are designed to provide lower, more controllable trajectories. This is primarily for anyone playing a cavity back/extreme perimeter weighted club head with a low center of mass. With that head design and a loft of more than 40°, the hard you swing, the higher your trajectory and more inconsistent you'll find your distances. What I love as a golfer about our system is a matched set of short irons...designed to look, feel and perform the same. 1/4" increments in shaft length, identical shaft weight and flex frequency curves. I will also add that 18° of leading edge bounce on the V-SOLE keeps that head from digging on full shots from tight lies (ie...wet fairways)...while the 4° primary portion of the sole gets the leading edge right down on the turf.

SCOR4161 are designed for a variety of shots...but what I've had the most success with on full shots is pulling the lower loft option when between clubs and hitting that 80-85% full swing knock down.

I want to try these wedges so darn bad but I have to wait for my new irons first. Great write ups guys.

I'm sorry we didn't have your grip specs when we built the testing set. We are able to build up grips with wraps...easily getting to mid-size roundness. Unfortunately, we do not offer custom grips...as you guys can attest better than anyone, our SCOR Golf grip is part of the overall system.

PS - I'm happy to send you additional grips at our expense if you want to build them up yourself. You could also try to find a local repair shop that can blow the grips off and build up without cutting them off.

Shawn,

I hope my comment did not come across as a complaint. I had actually planned (posted I think) that I was going to try and have them removed and built up locally before I do anything. I agree that the grip is an integral part of the system, and that is why I have not removed them to this point. I certainly appreciate your willingness to send out grips, and I will take you up on it (at MY cost) if the first option does not work.

Well, good news and bad news. Good news is I bogeyed the first and ran off 17 straight pars for a 73 today. Bad news is the SCORs saw very little action. As in 4 shots very little. Not going to go into my low round of the year as next time out I will probably shoot a 96.

1st hole par 5 pond in front of green. Going at it in 2 is crazy unless you hit a 300 yard drive. My drive was a little left and into the rough. Laid up to 93 yards in front of the pond. Went to the 50, choked down 1 spot on the grip, and fired right at the pin. Pretty bad mishit toward the heel and fat. First time I caught one there and it felt a little clunky. Came up so short I almost rolled back into the water. Next shot I went for the 60 as I had the ball back in my stance due to the hazard. Thought the 55 would run away from me as the ball was almost behind my right foot. Very awkward shot and kinda bladed the 60 past the hole by about 20 feet. 2 putt bogey. Thinking the SCORs would be seeing some heavy use after that hole.

The mishit on the 50 was really bad. I thought I was going in to the water. Not sure if the sole saved me or not, but I did stay dry. The shot with the 60 was very weird. My feet were together and I was pretty open. Almost a punch shot. Not sure if the SCORs did much to help me on this shot. Could have been worse I guess.

Fast forward to the 13th!

My 2nd missed green of the day here. I was 5 feet off the back of the green in a pretty good lie in the rough. Went to the 55, had about 25 feet to the pin. Nice easy back and through. 4-5 little hops and the ball stopped nicely 4 feet to the right of the pin. Would have liked a 1 footer for sure, but I made the putt. Loving the 55 for my chips. No matter the lie the club handles the job and my confidence is really increasing with chips. I don't ignore my lie, no no. Once I address it and set myself up I simply don't worry about it any more.

You'd think my next would be a 3rd shot 45 on a par 5, nope. Par 5's were interesting today, story for another time.

3rd missed green of the day on 18. Was about 6 inches into the rough off the fringe. Thought about putting as I was only 6-7 yards from the pin. Opted for the 55. Lie looked ok, but I could tell it was more tricky than it appeared. Had a twisty clump right underneath the ball that could have led to a 3 yard pop up if I hadn't noticed it. Closed down a 55 and let it run to the hole. Nice and easy, came up 2 feet short, easy putt for par.

Not much to say about the SCORs really. Did they help me shoot a good score today? Yes they did....the one stinker I hit with the 50 was still in play and each SCOR shot after that gave me a chance to finish the hole on the next shot. All I can ask from short irons. Hopefully my next round will be a typical round for me so I can have more to say about the SCORs.

Griff, you've had some great thoughts so far. That's a great round right there. Great job!

Griff, you've had some great thoughts so far. That's a great round right there. Great job!

Thanks Hawk. Was a great round for sure, but I have more fun when I shoot higher. Most of the round is a haze to me I was so in the moment. Luckily my playing partners know me and let me be as they knew they weren't getting anything but grunts out of me. My nemesis and good friend for almost 30 years still beat me with a 71. No matter what I do he does a little better, never beat him.

Will have some pics up tomorrow of the wear on the SCORs.

Wow griff. Great round!

Great post ScorShawn. Man this is getting good.

Hit the range early this morning to work on, well most of the bag. I started out with the 55 taking hip-to-hip (20 yards), hip-to-shoulder (40 yards), and hip to full swings (75 yards). The next step was to move up to shoulder-to-shoulder and shoulder-to-full swings. While the first three segments went well, I could not fly the ball past 75 yards even on a full swing with good contact. I started over swinging the club and all heck broke loose. I stepped away for a few minutes to reset and started over. The same thing happened on the second go round. I bailed on trying to force the ball to go further, and moved on to the 50, and 45 repeating the same swing patter above with each of the clubs.

When I started taking full swings with the 45, I hit about 6 straight really thin. Finally, I moved the ball back in my stance about a ball and a half, maybe two balls. Just WOW, instead of the bottle rocket ball flight I had been seeing on well struck shots the flight lowered a good deal and I had a nice piercing little draw again. I had so much fun hitting that shot that I forgot to go back to the shorter clubs to redo the longer swings. Long story short, when you have the ball in the right position in your stance the 45 turns the ball from bottle rocket to missle. On flush shots I was flying about 120. Toe shots, my favorite miss, resulted in 5-10 yard losses of distance but stayed generally straight.

Time to get out on the course with my son and the video camera.

Just back from the course with my son. We played only 9 holes. His first time walking was interesting, let's just leave it at that! Except to say that I did not bring out the video camera or the range finder as both are overwhelming distractions for him.

My testing grounds today was my former home course and is a par 36. Not the toughest course in the world by any means at 66.4/116 (from the whites) but it's fun.
The weather today is very cloudy, we actually had some rain drops on the windshield on our way to the course.
There was little to no wind and the temperature was 75*.

After my range session this morning, I really wanted to focus on getting correct ball position and solid ball striking.

On the first tee I hit a massive push to the right with the driver into #9 fairway. Punched back through the woods with a 5i, but came up shorter than I wanted and had to hit another punch 5 to the green. Of course I hit the second punch long and off the back. My son was laughing hysterically, presumably at something funny, when I chipped on back passed the hole. 2 putts = double bogey.

In one of the first videos I posted here I put up a comparison shot between my Burner 2.0 PW (45*) and the SCOR 45* from roughly 120 yards on a par three, #2 at this same course. I came up short of the green on both of those shots, but both had similar distance. Today, the tee was moved back slightly to the 125-130 neighborhood, but had a very similar pin position. After my range session this morning I had pretty high confidence on tee #2. So I pulled the 45* SCOR again. I stepped on it just a little making sure not to over swing the club. The ball flight was a thing of beauty... dead at the stick, starting low and rising slowly. For maybe the third time in my life I go to watch a ball spin back. THAT'S FRICKEN' COOL!!! The shot hit 20' short of the pin and spun back to 25'. 2 putts for par.

#3 is a shortish 300 yard par-4 straight away and slightly uphill. Depending on the tee position I have seen it as long as 330, and as short as 290. I've come close to driving this green but that is a iffy play at best for me. Today I hit 4H, and again pushed it right, off the toe into the rough. With +/- 100 to the flag I went with the 50* and again concentrated on position and solid contact. I hit it a bit fat and high on the club face ending on the front fringe of the green. Two putts (I count all putter strokes as putts) for par.

On #4 I nailed my driver and left myself with +/- 80 to the flag. I hit the 55* REALLY thin and 15 yards off the back. Chip back on with the 55* but pulled it left slightly, 2 putts for bogey.

5 is a fun hole for me. The tee shot is uphill for the first 150 or so then flattens out. Here I tee the ball really low and try to play a draw so I can run it down the fairway. Every once in a while that plan works out... And today was one of those times. The tee shot left me with 75 yards into a rock hard green. This is sort of a tweener' shot for me. If I absolutely SMOKE a 60 I have a chance, but the real play was to choke down 2" on the 55* and put a smooth full swing on it. I hit that shot really fat and came up well short of the green. Pitch on from 30 yards, 2 putt par. Walk away dejected after blowing a really good drive.

On #6 the right play for me is to hit 3H to the right side of the fairway (which slopes heavily from right to left) and pray I get a relatively flat lie. Today I got a downhill ball above my feet lie from 105 to the green slightly downhill from my location. Frankly, I stink out loud from this type of lie. Playing the 55 back in my stance to get ball first contact. I took my swing and forced myself to step through the shot in order to "complete" the swing. I made really good contact but pulled the ball 20 yards left of the green pin high. I really need to make a note card for how to deal with various lies. I chipped on, poorly, and 2 putted for another bogey.

7 is an uphill par three that did not require any SCOR clubs. I rock, so I parred it with 2 putts. hehe :D

#8 is a short par 5 at only 420. I hit a horrid drive followed by a beautimus 3H to 60 yards. Pin was close to center, but I had to fly the ball over a bunker. With a decent lie in the fairway I pulled the 60, choked down an inch with the blade opened up, and caught it on the toe. I carried the bunker and the ball ran well passed the hole. Another 2 putt par.

This is the point at which I always look at my scorecard to see where I am and what I have to do to finish well. #9 is the only dogleg on this course and it's actually a double dogleg. The first dog leg is 160 out, with the second about 100 yard after that. My choices are to hit a 7 or 8-iron straight away and take the woods on the right out of play, or try to launch a driver over the corner of the trees with a little fade. My "little fade" turns into a banana slice faster than the average golfer can say Mulligan! Having looked at the score card I knew I was at 36 through 8 and felt I was hitting the ball really well. My career round at this course is 39, so I knew I wasn't going to best that. But I wanted to finish strong

I know this is a short iron test, so forgive me, but I hit the best damn driver I have hit in a very long time. It cleared the treeline by a good 20 vertical yards, faded about 10 and landed in the dead-center of the fairway right on the corner of the second dogleg. Thank you for indulging my vanity... From that point I played a lay-up to 95 yards (to the center, 105 or so to the flag). The ball was on a slightly uphill lie, but again below my feet. I adjusted nicely to this one somehow and hit the 55 to 10-feet. Of course I 2-putted from there. But honestly I was happy to do so.

There are some game shots, and some practice shots that I left out of the mix. I spent some time working on choked down iron shots, and while my son took a break for lunch I played around in three green side bunkers. I need some work there! The SCOR clubs are working for me with the adjustment this morning. I cannot wait to get back to the range, hopefully tomorrow night!

There is a TON of great stuff in here from Super Tuna.

Hoola hoop practice - it may sound elementary, but I guarantee you it works. When I was in college, I spent every Monday (when courses were closed) at a intramural field hitting 80-110 yard shots at my teammates, trash cans and field goals. You'd be amazed at how much it helps your entire game getting consistent with these shots. Almost more importantly, becoming target specific instead of "just trying to hit the green". If you follow David Cook or any of the top golf teachers/mental minds, being target specific is CRITICAL on every shot. Instead of trying to hit that "side of the green"...how about a ball mark on the green. Instead of trying to get that 8 footer in the hole, hit that blade of grass hanging over the back of the cup. Instead of "don't hit it right on those trees" off the tee...hit that "no-cart" sign just left of the 100 marker in the fairway. Grab your shag bag and the kids...then head to your local baseball fields and have some fun with those wedges.

Towering shot trajectory - first, the flying birds comment is awesome...I sent some diet dr. pepper through my nose on that one. Seriously though, I'm puzzled you are seeing that. SCOR4161 are designed with a progressively higher center of mass as loft decreases from 61° to 41° to help control trajectory. I would expect your 43-47° SCOR4161 to fly significantly lower than your Nike VR Pro Combos. I noticed you have DG SL shafts in your irons...that might have something to do with it. Your SCOR4161 set should be a little heavier on a swingweight scale. Our G12 steel shaft (based on KBS Tour) should have a higher kick point and stiff tip too...so I would think you'd see lower ball flights comparatively.

Why replace 9i / PW - you are exactly right. First, if it's not broke, don't fix it. If you like your current 9i and PW, by no means would I suggest a change. As a wedge though, SCOR4161 will outperform anything out there. As a system of high lofted irons and wedges, SCOR4161 is one of a kind. Our short iron and PW lofts are designed to provide lower, more controllable trajectories. This is primarily for anyone playing a cavity back/extreme perimeter weighted club head with a low center of mass. With that head design and a loft of more than 40°, the hard you swing, the higher your trajectory and more inconsistent you'll find your distances. What I love as a golfer about our system is a matched set of short irons...designed to look, feel and perform the same. 1/4" increments in shaft length, identical shaft weight and flex frequency curves. I will also add that 18° of leading edge bounce on the V-SOLE keeps that head from digging on full shots from tight lies (ie...wet fairways)...while the 4° primary portion of the sole gets the leading edge right down on the turf.

SCOR4161 are designed for a variety of shots...but what I've had the most success with on full shots is pulling the lower loft option when between clubs and hitting that 80-85% full swing knock down.

First off, Welcome Shawn. Its nice having you come in here and put in your .02. You have product knowledge and I really feel there is a lot of interest in these and the tech questions are being answered very well through you. I am one of the testers and I will be the first to say that I am loving these wedges so far. I personally am not seeing any towering ball flight. The trajectory on these are something to talk about, they are very consistant throughout the set. So, when I step up to a shot, I expect a certain ball flight from that club, and I get that most of the time. as long as I keep the face squared at impact.

I love how you spoke about the 9 and PW replacement. Those are my sentiments exactly, I have said, if your not comfortable making a move from your current 9 iron then dont do it. Thats one spot where I am really putting the testing through the ringer. Do I like the SCOR more than my stock 9? I dont know yet. but, I can say that I am very happy to replace my PW and AW from my current set for the SCOR. I will take the performance of the SCOR tech any day over that of my stock offering.

I have a tournament today where I think the SCORs will really get tested. Its a 4 man scramble so as anyone who has played in one knows, you will have a lot of wedges in your hands if you have some long ballers...which we do.

Good luck today, One-T!

I really like that you're taking your time with the 9iron/Scor choice. I think your feedback could really help some people down the road.

Good luck in the scramble One-T, can't wait to hear how these perform today.

First off, Welcome Shawn. Its nice having you come in here and put in your .02. You have product knowledge and I really feel there is a lot of interest in these and the tech questions are being answered very well through you. I am one of the testers and I will be the first to say that I am loving these wedges so far. I personally am not seeing any towering ball flight. The trajectory on these are something to talk about, they are very consistant throughout the set. So, when I step up to a shot, I expect a certain ball flight from that club, and I get that most of the time. as long as I keep the face squared at impact.

I love how you spoke about the 9 and PW replacement. Those are my sentiments exactly, I have said, if your not comfortable making a move from your current 9 iron then dont do it. Thats one spot where I am really putting the testing through the ringer. Do I like the SCOR more than my stock 9? I dont know yet. but, I can say that I am very happy to replace my PW and AW from my current set for the SCOR. I will take the performance of the SCOR tech any day over that of my stock offering.

I have a tournament today where I think the SCORs will really get tested. Its a 4 man scramble so as anyone who has played in one knows, you will have a lot of wedges in your hands if you have some long ballers...which we do.

One-T - Good luck today...I'm playing a 4-man scramble myself this afternoon at Cowboys Club here in DFW. The guys told me last night they need a putter...so I think we're in trouble! ;-)

I want to say to you and all testers - please continue the candid/honest feedback. The honeymoon phase is ending...and it is HUGELY valuable to us as a manufacturer for unbiased feedback. My participation here on THP was a decision I struggled with tremendously...I want to answer questions about SCOR4161, but don't want anyone to think I'm here to defend anything we've done or that our way is the only way. No rebuttals. As I told JB...I plan to act like a caddie should...only speak when spoken to.

Got another 18 in this AM and was a polar opposite of my low round from Saturday. Shot a 91 and the SCORs got plenty of play time today. Only going to cover my SCOR shots. Temp was 65 with intermittent winds 15 MPH. Ball was the Bridgestone E6. I use the B330 RX but wanted to try out a recreational ball for testing purposes.

1st hole - 109 to an uphill pin, light rough lie. Went with the 45. Caught it really well, wind picked up and I stuck it 20 feet short of the pin. Ball was about 1 foot left of its divot. I'm finding the 45 to be a little shorter than anticipated. I dropped another ball and hit a 9I. Flew the green almost 20 yards past the SCOR 45. Not sure if this is a function of the Redlines. In side by side shots the Redline PW is really close to the SCOR 45 so I don't know what is going on.

2nd hole - 33 yards to a very elevated green, creek with a large boulder bank to hit over. Lie was horrific, barely saw the ball. Hit the 55 very and fat into the boulders, popped straight in the air into the creek. Took a drop, lie was a little better after drop. Got under the ball a little and barely made it on the green. Combine user error with sketchy lies and I put up a really bad score for the hole.

3rd hole - 6 feet from fringe to right of green. Lie was light rough. The greens were wet but extremely fast. Chose the 55 for a little chip. Landed it on the fringe and it rolled past the hole by about 5 feet. I was happy with the shot given the green was sloping away from me. May have been a bit closer with my normal ball, the E6 does like to run on the greens.

4th hole - Very similar shot to the one on the 3rd. Off to the side of the green with about 6 feet to the fringe. Ball was sitting up in the rough. Hit it right where I wanted, on the fringe. Ball probably rolled 30 feet and kept on going until it stopped on the opposite fringe. Putted from there. Loving the 55 for chips from the rough. Even though the result was poor, I hit the ball where I wanted.

5th hole - Very short uphill par 3. 107 yards via laser. Hit the 45 perfectly about 6 feet to the left of the hole. Ball actually checked back about 3 feet. Distance was a little better on that shot given how uphill the hole is. Teed it as low as I could.

6th hole - Greenside bunker! Chose the 60 and slid it right under. Came up pretty short, 15 feet or so. Lip was about 4 feet high and I was very happy to watch the ball skid on the green. Had more spin than I anticipated.

8th hole - 106 to pin in first cut of rough. Choked all the way down on the 45 as the green was a little downhill. Hit a very thin shot and had a low screamer into the green. Divot was 10 feet past the pin and the ball bounced to the rough behind the hole. Chose the 55 for the chip. Nice controlled shot that wound up 2 feet past the hole. Did I mention I love the 55 for chipping from the rough?

10th hole - To the right of the green in tall rough. Only had a few yards of green to work with, 25 yards to pin. Chose the 60 and hit a beautiful open faced piece of garbage shot that went about 10 yards. Really bad shot. Took a couple steps forward and tried again. Flew it past the pin with about 10 feet of roll. I am still getting used to the 60.

11th hole - 72 yards to elevated green, FW lie. Went with the 55 and choked down one spot. Hit it very nicely, good trajectory but not too high. Landed left of the pin with about 8 feet left. Ball popped on the green and didn't move far from its divot.

15th hole - 93 yards to pin into a strong wind, pond in front of green, FW lie. Chose the 45 and shanked it off to the right. Gotta watch those FW lies...not a good day for me. Anyway, next shot from the rough 55 yards to pin. Hit a full 60 and had a mighty beaver pelt following along the ball. Came up short and chipped on with the 55.

17th - 65 yards to the pin, FW lie. Ug. 60 wasn't doing great for me and the 55 could go too far...green is 2 tiered and if I was a little long I would have ran off the back of the green. Went with the 55 and had another shank under a tree beside the green. Nice little comeback chip with the 55 to at least give me a look at par. In all fairness my shank was a wet side hill FW lie and I was doubting my swing choice the whole time. Excuses excuses.

18th - Greenside bunker! Lip was pretty tall and I was eye level with the green. Slid the 60 right under the ball. Thought the thing was going in, wound up inches past the hole. Very impressed with the spin I am getting out of bunkers, even with the E6.

Couple things from today.

1. 55 is a life saver from chips from the rough.
2. 45 is lagging behind my 9i in terms of distance. Problem is my Redline 45 is doing the same thing. This could be an issue for those of us that use "distance" irons.
3. 60 is great out of the sand.
4. I need a lot of work with the 60 on full and close to full shots.
5. Ball like the E6 holds the green well on full shots with the SCORs, but still runs away on chips.
6. Sole of the SCORs is working as advertised. Not often a club forgives shots on the face and the sole. I would say any golfer could have success with the SCORs.

Last edited:
GL One T!

Nice write up Md, reading how everyone approaches their short game a little differently will only help me.

Thanks for coming around Shawn. Getting clarifications on things we can't quite put into words is a big help.

Morning Shawn,

I'm having a ball with the hoola hoop pratice. Best $1.18 I've ever spent on my golf game.

I apologize to Dr Pepper and you're nose for the bird comment heh. I do however get the ball waaay up there both with the Nike's and the SCOR's. I have done quite a lot of work with an instructor this year to add more heigh to all my shots to increase carry so that will be part of it. I do notice the ball flight being lower when the 47's go head to head with the SCOR but maybe only a couple of feet. Both are still what I call a high flight which is interesting, despite the swing change, since both the KBS and the DG SL's are a lower flighting shaft.

What I do find interesting is even with a stiffer tip, I can really feel the club head/tip of the shaft whip through the ball when I take a full shot. At first I found it to be a weird sensation but now I love it. Very reminiscent of the BTR shafts I use to play which I believe we were designed by Mr. Braly as well (though without SCOR's input). The swing weight is certainly higher though in the SCOR's which I love in the wedges but sometimes throws me off when I alternate shots with the 47's. It shouldn't but seems to be one of those mental blocks I need to work around.

Pouring rain here today with high winds but the 59 and I have a date which should be interesting. Have to shoot low under the wind but every green is a forced carry of some sort. We're going to see how well I can pull off the low stinger with a tone of spin on it today. Should be fun.

Question for any testers...

Are you guys using all the SCOR's around the greens for chipping depending distance, lie, etc. or have any of you gotten more comfortable chipping with one of the clubs vs. the other ones?

Question for any testers...

Are you guys using all the SCOR's around the greens for chipping depending distance, lie, etc. or have any of you gotten more comfortable chipping with one of the clubs vs. the other ones?

For me it depends on the shot required. Currently my go-to is the 55, but I have used all four of the SCOR clubs with success. I struggle with the 45, but that is on me. I almost always give it too much and send the ball well passed the hole, I have always had that issue chipping with lower lofted clubs. Obviously something I need to work on.

Hey everyone, thank you for the well wishes for our tournament. Turns out we were in the 2nd flight. That was a mistake because we came in at 15 under winning our flight and the first flight. hahaha. The SCOR wedges really came into play yesterday. I was quite happy to have them and I even tried to do some things with them that I normally wouldnt try. I am finding more and more that I am getting used to my distances with these clubs. I am really liking the ball flight I am getting out of them as well. I am really thinking that my next set of irons need the KBS shafts in them. The fall flight is superb.

Yesterday on a par 4 we had 2 balls that were close to the green, one was about 20 yards and the other was in the fringe. Naturally we took the ball in the fringe and I took my SCOR 53* to play a little bump and run. I used to do this with my Eidelon 54* all the time. well, I choked down, ball way back in my stance and put a nice little wedge swing on it. The ball looked like it was coming in way to hot, it hit the green, one hop and checked perfectly ...rolled out the rest of the way and dropped for an EAGLE!!!! We were so excited.

Par 4, 142 out. green is way uphill and we had wind in our back. so, I took out the 41* and put a good swing on it. I pulled the ball just a bit but hit it very well. It looked like the ball was coming in hot because we were going uphill. I honestly thought that it was going to be long. we get up to the ball and I am pin high about 25 feet left of the hole. Found the divot, the ball hit and obviously checked up. This really surprised me in a very good way. Most times when hitting to an elevated green, unless you launch the ball way up in the air I expect it to run out. Well, it sure didnt.

Par 5- 606 yards- WOW!! thats long , our 3rd shot was about 50 yards out, after watching the other guys hit I decided I wanted to try something new with my SCORs. I decided to take my 41*. we had all fwy and about 10 yards of green. well, I hit one that again, I thought was going to be too much, the ball hitjust on the front of the green, one hopped and checked up to about 5 feet. We birdied it. This really intrigued me....this made me really think that replacing my 9 iron with the 41 may be a better move than I really think. I could not believe that I had produced enough spin with that 41 to cause it to check like you would see out of a sand wedge.

Par 4- we were about 25 yards from the pin, Again, we had one in there nice so I decided it was time to play around again. I took my 49, the green was slightly elevated but again, it was all fwy, then about 15 yards or so of green. I took my 49 and hit what I thought was going to be a great shot, yest again...well, it hit the hill just before the green, pooped straight up in the air and landed about 3 feet short of the green. OOOPS. haha. looking back, I should have taken my 57* and played it like a wedge. Oh well, we birdied the hole anyway and I got to put the SCORs to the test.

Par 3- 128 downhill, wind in the face. This is where I got to pull of the choke down on my 45*(pw replacement) and make a full swing. I hit my 45 about 135 so I planned on this being pretty tight. The ball flight was excellent. Felt very pure and stayed on the line I aimed at. The wind caught it and I ended up about 30 feet short. Which was ok, I was the only one on the dance floor and we used my ball.

Play was a little slow. So, while waiting I was taking the 57 and chipping around the green. I was also letting my playing partners use them when they wanted to try them out. Well, except for my lefty bro..hehe

One guy I was with absolutely fell in love with them. All he kept saying was, I want these...how do I get them? he loved the looks and when he hit them he loved the feel. So, to say the least, he was VERY impressed and I think some SCORs should be sold because of it.

Overall, it was an awesome day, I used the SCORs a lot more than that, the results all day were good. I just put some bad swings on them or the ball being above my feet produced results that were good but not pin seeking. Example: Par 4 125 out, wind in the face and in some heavy rough, and the ball was way above my feet on a nasty side hill lie. I took my 45* and put a really good swing on it, I had aimed right of the flag because I knew the ball would come out left. The ball ended up in the left fringe pin high. If I was plaing my own ball, I would have been very pleased with that result

One-T when you post these kinds of post it makes it very hard to not want to try these out. That is some serious course cred for these wedges.

Back