SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

Just to quickly answer your question hawk, my favorite characteristics are the sole and the consistent trajectory I am seeing. Trajectory is leading to reliable distances.

Challenge would be adjusting my game to the SCORs. 100 yards in I have always been very feelsy and taking full swings takes some getting used to.

I love those two answers as well. Thanks!

And this is another reason I'm intrigued by the SCORs is the whole "full swing" approach. I've always struggled to some degree with less than full swings in the 40 to 80 yard range, or between clubs. The choke down visual system is a great tool and reminder when out on the course that there is a way to fill those gaps with a system versus a feel approach.

And this is another reason I'm intrigued by the SCORs is the whole "full swing" approach. I've always struggled to some degree with less than full swings in the 40 to 80 yard range, or between clubs. The choke down visual system is a great tool and reminder when out on the course that there is a way to fill those gaps with a system versus a feel approach.

THIS!!!!

I came in focused on the v-soles and cool conceptual idea of these but this has been most intriguing now to me personally and honestly something I've started to experiment with in my Eidolon's.

THIS!!!!

I came in focused on the v-soles and cool conceptual idea of these but this has been most intriguing now to me personally and honestly something I've started to experiment with in my Eidolon's.

yeah, I know some people have been in contact with someone at SCOR golf. I would suggest they sell their SCOR grips seperately

yeah, I know some people have been in contact with someone at SCOR golf. I would suggest they sell their SCOR grips seperately

Honestly something I've thought about asking Beau.

Honestly something I've thought about asking Beau.

do it bro, I havent been in contact with him but I have wondered what I will do the day I need to re grip

do it bro, I havent been in contact with him but I have wondered what I will do the day I need to re grip

I shall shoot him an email now. hehe

I shall shoot him an email now. hehe

Beau is the man.

YES they will sell the grips seperately, if you give him a call he will set it up for ya!

Questions for the reviewers:

What has been your favorite feature/quality of the SCOR system so far?

What has been the most challenging thing about them at this point?

Nice questions Hawk.

My favorite feature is a bit hard to quantify in how it achieves this but it's the consistency. You don't end up with any fliers or shots that drop too soon unless you've botched the swing. The bounce cuts through the turf or breezes (coolly) through the turf. Something that I did last night which was wicked fun was I bought a hoola hoop from the dollar store and set it in my target area of a green. I then tried to put as many shots as possible in the circle with the 59, 55 and 51 wedge. Once I could do it somewhat consistently I then tried altering the launch and see if I could still do it. The later was a distaster but fun. I'm obviously going to need a lot more practice at it, but I really think it might be to key to locking in my distances with these.

I also expect it to help out with proper shot placement on the green. Instead of just trying to get by the flag or the frontish I want to be able to pick a 10 foot circle that leaves me with a good putting route and get it there most times.

As for challanging there's two things that I'm finding tricky.

The first is the shot trajectory. Just like my irons I hit a towering shot with these, so much so that low to medium flying birds are in serious danger. I've noticed that this means I need to pay more attention to what loft of club I'm using as well as what ball I'm using. On a windy/rainy day here I'm getting better results using a lower lofted club with a shorter swing and a different ball (Callaway's Hex pattern) vs a sunny warm day with no wind where I'll use more loft and a Penta or X3. This isn't really a huge downside but it's something I've had to think about in my shot making.

The really tricky/challanging part for me has been the blend of the wedges into the irons. I;'ve read a lot of Terry's writing both on his site and the Wedgeguy blog and tend to agree with a lot of it. More people could play blades in certain clubs then you might think and you're scoring irons should be more like wedges then your 4 or 6 iron. The tricky bit though is that I'm already doing what Terry says. My scoring irons are already blades with mass behind the ball though that throw the ball just as high and spin just as much. Now they don't have the V sole but they do have a lovely thin sole that allows me to pick the ball as is my MO and not get caught in the turf. As wedges, I love them. As scoring irons I'm finding it's a like for like trade. High launch, high spin, predictable results, great from the rough or fairway. I'm also not a true Pelz guy like CL, I don't take half or 3/4 shots with my 9 iron and I don't find I need to adjust the bounce on them.

I'm not discounting the SCOR's at all but I think someone who plays cavities in their scoring irons would get more use from this switch. If I was still using my MX200's I would be all over the PW/9 iron swap in a heart beat. I took the PW of the MX's out last night against the SCOR and the SCOR was much better through the turf and with spin. So much better it was silly actually especially for a picker. After getting use to splits and blades I don't think I will go back to cavity backs but if I did, there is no way I would be keeping the 9/PW and if possible I would likely want to switch the 8 as well.

Do you have to manipulate the club to utilize more bounce or less bounce with the V-sole?

Yes you do but only when setting up. In one of my large block of texts I mentioned how setup is key with these wedges and one of the reasons for that is getting the club settled on the correct bounce for the situation. Once you're setup and ready to swing, there's no manipulation in your swing to get it to perform correctly though, it just does it's thing beautifully.

Beau is the man.

YES they will sell the grips seperately, if you give him a call he will set it up for ya!

Rock. I want to replace some of the grips on the Nike irons with these. I love the cushyness of the VDR's but the difference between them isn't much with two gloves on and the increased shot making reference is well worth it IMO. I think someone like CL would love having these on all his irons actually.

Beau is the man.

thats awesome....thanks buddy!

awesome thoughts ST....interesting perspective on shot trajectory as well

Nice questions Hawk.

My favorite feature is a bit hard to quantify in how it achieves this but it's the consistency. You don't end up with any fliers or shots that drop too soon unless you've botched the swing. The bounce cuts through the turf or breezes (coolly) through the turf. Something that I did last night which was wicked fun was I bought a hoola hoop from the dollar store and set it in my target area of a green. I then tried to put as many shots as possible in the circle with the 59, 55 and 51 wedge. Once I could do it somewhat consistently I then tried altering the launch and see if I could still do it. The later was a distaster but fun. I'm obviously going to need a lot more practice at it, but I really think it might be to key to locking in my distances with these.

I also expect it to help out with proper shot placement on the green. Instead of just trying to get by the flag or the frontish I want to be able to pick a 10 foot circle that leaves me with a good putting route and get it there most times.

As for challanging there's two things that I'm finding tricky.

The first is the shot trajectory. Just like my irons I hit a towering shot with these, so much so that low to medium flying birds are in serious danger. I've noticed that this means I need to pay more attention to what loft of club I'm using as well as what ball I'm using. On a windy/rainy day here I'm getting better results using a lower lofted club with a shorter swing and a different ball (Callaway's Hex pattern) vs a sunny warm day with no wind where I'll use more loft and a Penta or X3. This isn't really a huge downside but it's something I've had to think about in my shot making.

The really tricky/challanging part for me has been the blend of the wedges into the irons. I;'ve read a lot of Terry's writing both on his site and the Wedgeguy blog and tend to agree with a lot of it. More people could play blades in certain clubs then you might think and you're scoring irons should be more like wedges then your 4 or 6 iron. The tricky bit though is that I'm already doing what Terry says. My scoring irons are already blades with mass behind the ball though that throw the ball just as high and spin just as much. Now they don't have the V sole but they do have a lovely thin sole that allows me to pick the ball as is my MO and not get caught in the turf. As wedges, I love them. As scoring irons I'm finding it's a like for like trade. High launch, high spin, predictable results, great from the rough or fairway. I'm also not a true Pelz guy like CL, I don't take half or 3/4 shots with my 9 iron and I don't find I need to adjust the bounce on them.

I'm not discounting the SCOR's at all but I think someone who plays cavities in their scoring irons would get more use from this switch. If I was still using my MX200's I would be all over the PW/9 iron swap in a heart beat. I took the PW of the MX's out last night against the SCOR and the SCOR was much better through the turf and with spin. So much better it was silly actually especially for a picker. After getting use to splits and blades I don't think I will go back to cavity backs but if I did, there is no way I would be keeping the 9/PW and if possible I would likely want to switch the 8 as well.

Yes you do but only when setting up. In one of my large block of texts I mentioned how setup is key with these wedges and one of the reasons for that is getting the club settled on the correct bounce for the situation. Once you're setup and ready to swing, there's no manipulation in your swing to get it to perform correctly though, it just does it's thing beautifully.

Another great answer. Love it. Thanks again.

I have to agree with you. I think SCOR, or UST should be selling them stand-alone. I have to say I also wish they sold larger grips. I understand the difficulties for a small company to provide multiple sized grips, but for me it is the biggest (only so far) draw back of the clubs. I feel like I'm holding a pencil. I've not commented on it to date as I knew it was going to be this way. I have been looking at other grips for replacements and weighing the options. I went through the UST site and I don't see where they offer anything other than standard size either.

I have to agree with you. I think SCOR, or UST should be selling them stand-alone. I have to say I also wish they sold larger grips. I understand the difficulties for a small company to provide multiple sized grips, but for me it is the biggest (only so far) draw back of the clubs. I feel like I'm holding a pencil. I've not commented on it to date as I knew it was going to be this way. I have been looking at other grips for replacements and weighing the options. I went through the UST site and I don't see where they offer anything other than standard size either.

Would adding some tape underneath do enough or need more than that?

Would adding some tape underneath do enough or need more than that?

Unfortunately, I need more than I can get with just tape. I may just pick up NDMCs for them to maintain consistency through my set. I like the feel of these grips, they're just too dern small.

Thought for this morning: I really enjoy how muted the click is on these puppies. I like audible feedback but nothing turns me off a club faster then a loud click. These are great even with harder covered balls and glorious with soft covered ones.

I still do maintain that ball choice might be important with these. It's stunning just how high I can throw a shot. I'm trying to get a trackman outside so I can record the apex high levels on them

Great job on the reviews guys! I am really interested in the "full swing" approach to the shorter shots, I think that's where I and alot of other mid to high handicappers struggle is with 1/2 shots and the like...I tend to have a decelaration issue leading to the proverabial chunk at times. I have really been working on my short game over the past few months and have gotten alot better recently, but I think the full swing method would help alot.

Keep up the good work!

Back in front of a computer so I can give some feedback.

This year I decided to rebuild my bag top to bottom. I started with the driver. I spent almost 2 months bouncing from store to store from demo day to demo day, multiple fittings until I found the setup that works for me. Last full round I played before I started testing the blind ball and the SCORs I hit driver on 8 of 18 holes. I shot an 86, so about 9% of my shots for the day.

Irons I spent about 4-6 weeks, again hitting stores and demo days. Used the Mizuno shaft optimizer and had a fitting done. I use my irons a lot during any given round so it was time well spent. I could have and maybe should have spent even more time, but I wanted to get the season rolling with new irons.

Putter I took a chance on. I was all set to go with a Ping Pick Em Up. Made a nearly impulse buy on a Backstryke and I got lucky. Total time spent with a Backstryke? 30 minutes in the store maybe? No fitting and got a 34 that I choke down on. Use the putter every hole and I barely spent any time testing it out.

Hybrids and woods I bought after one go around at a demo day. Maybe 45 minutes hitting them off grass tees. No fitting. Guessed at gapping them with my irons as best I could. For a full 18 the hybrids/woods see maybe 10-15 shots.

Purchased a Niblick off Ebay given the glowing reviews on THP. Bought 2 more after liking the first. Added a CG16 after hitting wedges into a net at the store and also went off memory from a demo day earlier in the year. Totally threw the set together. Wedges are probably 2nd most used clubs next to the putter.

What's the point, griff? The putter and short irons have a huge workload. And I spent the least amount of time with those clubs before I bought em. That seems pretty backward to me. What I am getting at is this is what the system part of SCOR is all about. It's more than a handful of wedges. It's a total short game system complete with instructions, visual aids, and full company support.

I'd love to post up the literature from SCOR and I will contact JB after this and see if that is something I should do or not. It's a wonderful little publication with little tips here and there. SCOR isn't conducting rocket science here. Using grip placement to control distance is not a new concept. SCORs approach takes it beyond the use of 2-3 wedges. They want us to get accurate distances all the way out to the 9 iron. What set of irons, woods, wedges, heck even golf electronics include as much information and instruction as SCOR does with their irons? I'm not talking 4 pages of, "Thanks for buying our clubs." What is available from SCOR is 40 pages of PDF documents. Much of it is on the website in some way shape or form. Having it in 2 PDFs is really helpful.

From my brief time with the SCORs I can tell you the system part of the product is essential for me. I have slowed myself down and I am really trying to fully vest my short game into what SCOR is teaching me. I'm an old dog and it'll take some time for me to learn to not slip into my old habits especially on those touchy feely shots. When I realized I was chosen to test these out I was really excited about that V Sole and using an extended wedge set. I quickly learned that was only half of what SCOR offers and I am seeing very positive results in practice and in play.

Reason I am typing all this is to relay that if you want more than a wedge or 2 SCOR goes the extra mile.

edit: More of an editorial on my part. Will have a true 18 with the SCORs this weekend so I will have more hard data so I can see exactly how the system and the clubs alter my approach to the short game.

Nice write up griff. I agree on all points. Most of us spend an inordinate amount of time purchasing, and practicing with, our longer clubs. We agonize over getting 5 more yards out of our drivers, yet spend precious little time even thinking about the short game. I've been reading through (very slowly) the material from SCOR that JB forwarded. With his permission here are a couple excerpts that hit home for me.

From The SCOR Method:
Chapter 1 page 6

"If you want to begin to score better, the first thing you must learn is just how far you can
consistently hit each of your scoring clubs with a square clubface and your hands in their normal
position on the grip. This is not just how far you can hit them, but how far you can hit them with
confidence and repetition."

From The SCOR Method:
Chapter 1 page 7 & 8

"Short Iron/Wedge Tip

Let me interject here that a “full” swing with a wedge or short iron is much different than with
a mid-iron or hybrid. The objective with the scoring clubs is to create distance repetition that leads to
precision shotmaking on the golf course. It really isn’t important whether your “full” pitching wedge
goes 100 yards or 130 – there are no awards for that. What’s important is your ability to hit each of
your wedges and short irons the same distance consistently and reliably. Back off just a bit from
what you might think of as a “full” swing and make your lead side stay in front of the swing
through impact. Also, by controlling your swing with the body core rather than your arms and
hands, you will hit the ball on a lower and more controllable
trajectory and have much more repeatable distance control. In fact, you might
even find that you hit your wedges further this way than you do when you try to hit it
hard. Try it."

I have a tendency to try to hit my clubs as far as I can get them to go with every swing. I know it leads to inconsistent swings yet I continue to do it. If I hit my 9 iron 130, I am SURE that I can get it to go 135 with a "good" swing. It's not enough, for me, to learn my actual distances. I also have to develop the discipline to play to those distances rather than trying to step on it with every swing.

Rock. I want to replace some of the grips on the Nike irons with these. I love the cushyness of the VDR's but the difference between them isn't much with two gloves on and the increased shot making reference is well worth it IMO. I think someone like CL would love having these on all his irons actually.

I have to admit I got a tingle when I read he was going to sell the grips seperately. Once my Nikes wear down I will be buying these grips. Heck I might buy them sooner. Heck I might buy the iron to go with the grip

I have to admit I got a tingle when I read he was going to sell the grips seperately. Once my Nikes wear down I will be buying these grips. Heck I might buy them sooner. Heck I might buy the iron to go with the grip

That is awesome! I might pick up some of the grips too.

Great job on the review grif...I enjoyed that.

Have you hit MD's SCORs?

**I workabilitied that post using Tapatalk**

Great job on the review grif...I enjoyed that.

Have you hit MD's SCORs?

**I workabilitied that post using Tapatalk**

He keeps avoiding me like the plague. One time I picked my nose and the guy doesn't forget!

It's been raining almost every day here. We've been trying to work it out but something always pops up usually on my end. Thought today was the day and now I have a block party

He keeps avoiding me like the plague. One time I picked my nose and the guy doesn't forget!

It's been raining almost every day here. We've been trying to work it out but something always pops up usually on my end. Thought today was the day and now I have a block party

I was coming in here to post the same thing you said. You know you are welcome to hit them, and hopefully we'll be able to get together sometime soon.

Back