TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Thanks from one Texan to another Native Texan! I don't know if you saw, but I threw my FULL support of you over on the MC 2.0 thread

Nice! Thanks dude now get some pictures and thoughts of the R11's up Texas style!

I'm taking these bad boys out today for a round of golf. Will have some thoughts later.

I am just getting caught up with this thread and wanted to say "Thanks" to all the testers so far for their thoughts and video's. Great job and keep it coming!! Tadashi, I really liked one of your initial comments regarding getting used to a lighter shaft, and being patient and waiting for the club to catch up at impact (if that's correct). I am having the same issue coming from DG Dynalites SW D2 to Nippon NS Pro SW C10, and ended up adding 3g lead tape, which has helped me feel the head position better. My swing is very similar to yours, but doesn't repeat as consistently.. lol... so I'll be very interested to see your progress especially after you get those 3 wraps of tape under your grip! Coolbreeze... luv the on course vid's... you seem to be getting great distance and accuracy... let's see more shot flights!! OEM Kevin... I'm really keen on seeing how you get on with those graphite shafts too!! Oh, and Thanks to THP & Taylormade for this testing opportunity for our members!
I have been able to locate the head of the club through my entire swing because of the lighter shaft. It has also allowed me to get the club into positions I worked on years ago with my pro. We worked for a full year and never once thought of putting in lighter shafts. I'll explain this in another post from a range session. But it really keeps me on plane and aware of my positions through my swing. As much as I tinker with my swing it's nice to be a place with tools that fit my game, as it is today. Thanks for your comments and questions.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the R11's with the TP CB's? I'd like to see the differences between the two in terms of distance and forgiveness.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the R11's with the TP CB's? I'd like to see the differences between the two in terms of distance and forgiveness.

i only hit the CBs a couple times at Golf Galaxy and i didn't hit them well so i dont have a solid answer but forgiveness wise from what ive seen the R11s are more forgiving. Distance i don't remember what i was hitting them.

Taylormade R11 Iron Testing
Date-9/28/11
IronsUsed- Taylormade R11 Irons 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts
Previous Irons-Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts
Ball Used-mix and match of found balls ive kept
Testing Conditions- Raining- course was soaking wet
Location-Limerick Golf Course

OK well its been raining here all morning but i got up early on my day off so when i saw a break in the weather i rushed to the course. I really think they wanted to keep it closed today because the course was that wet BUT i go there a lot and i the guy who works in the pro shop knows me now and said i could go out as long as i walked. Even better he only charged me $10. So i only got 2 quick videos on the first couple holes because then it really started raining and i didn't wanna ruin my new camera. Today i only hit my irons i didn't even use my putter it wasn't worth it with the way the course was and i just wanted to screw around a bit and try some stuff. I ended up dropping balls from main distances on the way into the hole. and was hitting my 4 a lot off of the tee. The 4 iron for me has a nice fade to it and i play the middle left side of the fairway and i just watch it drop in the center all day. wasn't hitting it as far as i was the other day but the wind was really a factor today along with the rain and course. I hit a few bad shots today due to my chunking my shot and when you hit it bad it sounds different it was hard to describe but you could def tell it was a bad shot. i lost about 10-15 yards with these bad shots. but i could still play them from where they landed usually to the right. Again my well hit shots were still mostly to the left of the flags when i was on the green. I still am getting used to the new baby fade these have and gotta aim more towards the flag. But again the ball flight today was good and i was sticking everything. All of my shots were plugged exactly where they landed on the green or within 2 feet of my divot. Here are some pics.

7 iron from 168 out about 20' short

DSC00033.jpg

9 iron from 142 spun it back a foot
DSC00035.jpg

Ok these are 2 shots on a par 5- the far one was from my 8 iron that i hit from 155 yards the closer one hit and rolled out from my 5 iron that was hit from the 200 yard marker.

DSC00034.jpg

so you know most of my shots stick very close to where they land i don't get much roll out on any of my clubs even my driver. its because of my high ball flight. These clubs aren't any different than any other clubs i usually play. I actually don't mind not having much roll out on my iron shots. So anyway these pics and the following video are the only pics and vids i could take today right after the second part of my video it started pouring again and i had to put my rain suit and bucket cap on. So i put my new camera away. hit more chunked shots than i normally do today but thats what usually happens when its this wet out. there was standing water everywhere today. All in all besides the weather and what it was doing to my game it was nice to get out for a quick 7 holes and get some work in with these irons. hit them pretty good. Best hole of the day was a 125 yard par 3 i hit my PW and landed on the left fringe. left my bag and just took my AW up because i was skipping 2 holes to head back in on 9 the rain was getting worse at this point. I was about 35 feet away from the flag and chipped in with the AW! was a nice birdie even if i wasn't keeping score today. I def see me using the AW for chipping a lot i like to use my 60 or 56 for normal chips but if i have a longer or uphill chip ill def use my AW the roll out was nice and straight today. i used it for all my missed shots and got a good feel for it by the end of the round. Anyway heres the videos i took i will make a disclaimer for future videos where the sun is out i will wear a hat normally so there won't be any glare from my balding head! Thanks hope you guys enjoy.

<font size="3"><font color="#262626"><span style="font-family:arial;">

Nice work there Bucky....your having some great early success

Nice work Bucky. I am glad they let you out on the course.

There are some comments over on the CB review thread made my me and some other posters with experience with both. I'm finding the distance difference for me is about 10-12 yards further with the R11s than the CBs across the board with all clubs. The R11s swing easier for me than the CBs. I'm having trouble putting that thought into better words, but my confidence at address with the R11s is superior and the shots just turn out better than with the CBs. My last range session with the R11s, I hit three consecutive 7-iron shots. All three shots landed within five yards of each other, about 160 yards down range. I've never had that consistency before on three consecutive shots of that length - as in never before. The R11s are the real deal.

There are some comments over on the CB review thread made my me and some other posters with experience with both. I'm finding the distance difference for me is about 10-12 yards further with the R11s than the CBs across the board with all clubs. The R11s swing easier for me than the CBs. I'm having trouble putting that thought into better words, but my confidence at address with the R11s is superior and the shots just turn out better than with the CBs. My last range session with the R11s, I hit three consecutive 7-iron shots. All three shots landed within five yards of each other, about 160 yards down range. I've never had that consistency before on three consecutive shots of that length - as in never before. The R11s are the real deal.

i completely agree with the distances being the same i was hitting a couple of balls on most of the holes today and my balls were landing right next to each other at the same distances. thats one of the things im really liking about these over the 2.0s but like i said i havn't hit the CBs enough to know how they perform especially on the course.

Nice work there Bucky....your having some great early success

Thanks One-T the hard part is keeping the success going! lol

LOL @ the disclaimer Buckjob. I bet it was really really wet out there. Good write up though, once again. My outing tomorrow isnt looking too good right now.

LOL @ the disclaimer Buckjob. I bet it was really really wet out there. Good write up though, once again. My outing tomorrow isnt looking too good right now.

i realized it as i was turning the camera on, i was like $#@!! i knew i forgot something. lol oh well im no Hanks or France! yeah the weather here is gonna be downpour till friday it looks like so i really wanted to get out this morning. hoping to get out friday now before i head into work for 24 hours.

Nice video and write up Bucky. You're really rocking on the write ups and keeping the content fresh and always adding more, great work man!

i completely agree with the distances being the same i was hitting a couple of balls on most of the holes today and my balls were landing right next to each other at the same distances. thats one of the things im really liking about these over the 2.0s but like i said i havn't hit the CBs enough to know how they perform especially on the course.

Great work so far guys. The dispersion sounds pretty tight with these clubs.

Bucky those were gorgeous pictures!

Nice video and write up Bucky. You're really rocking on the write ups and keeping the content fresh and always adding more, great work man!

thanks jake, try to keep it fresh and mix it up. wanted to get some more video today but it was just to wet out.

As all the women in my office give the collective angelic wahhhhhhhhhh sound.....

As all the women in my office give the collective angelic wahhhhhhhhhh sound.....

They have arrived.... and to think I was gonna' track down the UPS guy......

R11Unbox4.jpg
R11Unbox1.jpg
R11Unbox2.jpg
R11Unbox3.jpg

(if y'all thought I could wait to get home to a video camera.....sorry!)

I will start to get my "real" impressions down this evening...Thanks again JB, GG, THP, and TaylorMade Golf for this opportunity.

Nice writeups and Videos Bucky!

and 2shoes glad to see you got the irons! Excited to see your feedback bud.

Not sure how you are still at work 2shoes, I would have been out the door!

Good reads so far, good tp see you got yours 2shoes. Graphite looks good

tapatalk addict....

Rocking the full sleeve tat, I like your style Buck. Nice video and write up...You make a pretty aggressive pass at the ball as well as pull up some turf...very nice. You swing thee s if yu have ad tham for a while.

Glad you finally got your clubs 2shoes. I would have been going nuts! I love the look of those shafts very nice looking.

2shoes thaks for the pics glad you got your sticks. The graphic does look good in the R11s. Can't wait to hear your thoughts

Back