TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Thanks Cookie, Id def hit both and see what works for you. if youre looking for new irons. i hit the CBs and i couldn't hit them that well. I have an outside in swing and i was slicing them a lot. I def still need forgiveness in a club. I mean im working on fixing my swing and its getting better but I think for my game right now these are a great fit. Id still love to get a set of player irons someday at least to see what all the hypes about. I think these are a great fit for someone who is in between a GI iron and Player irons. I was so hoping they would be and from what im seeing so far they are fitting right in where i thought they would.

Nice, thanks for the extra info. After experiencing both ends of the spectrum I think a club that is a nice mix of GI and GE would be a major winner....and from the reviews thus far it definitely is.

wonderful write up Buck....can't wait to take a few swings of my own with these next time we hit the range

wonderful write up Buck....can't wait to take a few swings of my own with these next time we hit the range

Yeah let me know when you're going there we can have a range date. lol Even if it is hard concentrating with a celebrity hitting next to me.

I understand that some of these have been answered. But, going thru 11 pages of "nice video", "looking forward to your thoughts" replies is a major beatdown.

The comments about the tighter dispersion were great to see.

1. What’s your driver swing speed?
2. What’s your 5iron swing speed?
3. What are your yardages with your current set?
4. Any yardage differences with the R11’s?
4a. If yes to #4, is R11 shaft length longer or shorter than normal sticks?
4b. If yes to #4, is R11 iron loft more or less than normal sticks?
5. What shafts are in your current set?
6. What shafts came with the R11’s?
7. Are you standard loft/lie?
7a. If not, are you taking the R11’s into a shop to get the lie adjusted?

Congrats to all who are testing. Looking forward to you feedback.

Today was my first range session with the R11 irons. My range session took place at the practice facility I prefer to use. I like this place for many reasons. They have a large grass driving range, they have three different target greens to shoot at, as well as 100, 150, 200, & 250 yard markers. It was warm today, somewhere around 80* with a high level of humidity. There was a 5-7 mph head wind so the stage was set to test the irons out.

My R11's came equipped with the KBS 90 steel shafts in stiff flex, 3 - PW, with Taylormade branded Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips. My previous set of irons were Callaway's Razr X Tours, with KBS Tours in xstiff.

After getting warmed at the short game section of the facility I moved on to the range and pulled the PW out of the bag. It's a very good looking PW at address and it frames the ball wonderfully. There really is a lot less offset than one might imagine in these irons. One thing that stood out to me immediately is that these irons are a very easy and seamless transition from the RXT's, visually. Ball strike after ball strike I kept thinking of one word: SOFT. These irons feel so soft at impact, dare I say, like hitting a marshmellow? It became addictive to be honest. The turf interaction is phenomenal and the sole of these irons are something special. They are thin, they slice through the turf, and the only thing I don't like, is the small channel on the sole. It really does pick up a lot of material and it's kind of a nuisance to clean out. That might not bother some people but for a guy like me, who's notorious about keeping his clubs clean, it's annoying.

The main thing I was concerned with going into this was going from a shaft I was fit for (KBS Tours in xstiff) to the KBS 90 in stiff flex. Well, I can safely say that those worries can be laid to rest. I was expecting moon balls and I saw nothing of the sort. In fact, I am extremely pleased with the ball flight they offer. I didn't see anything today that would concern me at all. The shafts provide a feel and feedback that I have found synonymous with KBS' offerings. It's a consistent feel and flight and to me, it provides me with one less thing to worry about when it comes to adjusting to these irons.

I've touched on the feel a little bit but wouldn't mind addressing that a little bit more. By far, some of the best feeling irons I've experienced. It's pretty well documented that I loved the R9 irons and these pick up where those left off. I imagine the inverted cone technology has something to do with that, but I could be way wrong. Whatever it is, these irons rank as some of the best feeling irons I've ever hit. One thing I kept thinking about was the face of the irons. We all know that these irons share the thin face technology, which Taylormade introduced with the Burner 2.0's, but for me, the two sets of irons feel nothing alike. You catch a ball out on the toe a little bit with the R11's and you kind of know it. What I mean is: you hit the ball, you watch it fly, you think to yourself "I'm pretty sure I caught that on the toe, but the ball shouldn't be flying that far or that well". So, you know you've toe'd it a little but the results are fantastic.

I know it's very early on the stages of testing but I have to be honest, I think these could be some of the best irons I've hit to date. They have everything a golfer would want in an iron. I'm very, very excited about these irons b/c after my first range session I am highly impressed. I'm trying very hard to find a con about these irons and the only thing I can think of is the weird channeling on the sole of the club.

I did take some video of me hitting the 8 iron and here it is:

Nice, thanks for the extra info. After experiencing both ends of the spectrum I think a club that is a nice mix of GI and GE would be a major winner....and from the reviews thus far it definitely is.

maybe I should have waited to try these out before buying the CB's...oh well

Ended up buying a set of R11s and I am well impressed. I sold my CBs to fund some Mizuno MP68 but shouldn't have ventured into blades. Decided to go back to cavities and I am more than happy with these clubs. Infact, the first two rounds I have used these I have scored my best scores ever. Easy to hit and long, so much confidence pulling these out the bag. I prefer them to my Cbs I had and would recommend these to anyone!

I'm not a tester, but I have been playing these irons for a few weeks

105-110
6 iron is 88-94
old irons (x18's) were
4-200
5-185
6-175
7-165
8-160
9-145
PW-125
4-210
5-195
6-185
7-175
8-165
9-150
PW-140
AW-125

1/2 long
Lofts are stronger
True Temper Uniflex
Custom order DGXP S300 hard stepped
Nope my irons are 3* upright

Hope that helped.

nice video and initial thoughts TC. Very intriguing to hear how much your liking them already. Kind of threw me for a loop. in a good way.

I understand that some of these have been answered. But, going thru 11 pages of "nice video", "looking forward to your thoughts" replies is a major beatdown.

Great questions static! Here are my answers:

1. Driver swing speed avg for me is 111 mph
2. My 6iron swing speed avg is 91 mph
3. Yardages with my previous set (Callaway Razr X Tours) are as follows:

4iron: 210-215
5iron: 190-200
6iron: 175-185
7iron: 165-170
8iron: 150-160
9iron: 135-145
PW: 120-130
AW: 100-115

4. I don't have a clue of what my yardages are with the R11's yet. Based off of today's range session they are going to be very similar to what was in the bag previously.

5. My Razr X Tours have KBS Tours in Xstiff (soft stepped)

6. My R11's have the stock KBS 90 in Stiff flex

7. I am not standard loft/lie
7a. I will be taking these in and having them bent upright 1*. I was noticing some toe down divots today and to be honest, I suspected these needed to be bent upright a little bit.

How did he not hit the camera with one of those shots?

great write up and video TC i felt the same way about how soft they feel and worrying about ball flight with these shafts but they are MONEY so far.

Nice video and writeup TC. Glad to see you are in love with these. Once you get them adjusted youll probably be hitting every flag. Cant wait for more from you

im honestly not sure i havn't had that checked in quite a while but faster than most.

Just checked that today it was 120 MPH

AW-115
PW-130
9- 140
8-155
7-170
6- 185
5- 200
4-215

My yardages are very close to my current set

the shafts are shorter in the R11s by an inch or 2

5. What shafts are in your current set? Burner 2.0 Steel Stiff Shafts

6. What shafts came with the R11’s? KBS 90 Steel Stiff Shafts

7. Are you standard loft/lie? I have always been standard loft and lie

7a. If not, are you taking the R11’s into a shop to get the lie adjusted? not planning on it.

I know it's very early on the stages of testing but I have to be honest, I think these could be some of the best irons I've hit to date. They have everything a golfer would want in an iron. I'm very, very excited about these irons b/c after my first range session I am highly impressed. I'm trying very hard to find a con about these irons and the only thing I can think of is the weird channeling on the sole of the club.

Great write up TC, specifically this part. After the rave reviews from the TaylorMade staffers from the Morgan Cup, it's great to see more great reviews coming in.

Great thoughts and impressions TC. Looked like you really cooked that first 8 iron. How did you not hit the camera? :confused2:

Thanks Kmac. I'm not sure how I didn't hit the camera with that one. I have no idea what that means.

I was ripping the ball dude. I'm in the early stages of love with these bad boys.

Thanks Kmac. I'm not sure how I didn't hit the camera with that one. I have no idea what that means.

I was ripping the ball dude. I'm in the early stages of love with these bad boys.

I know the feeling. The honeymoon time is always nice. I have a feeling this one is going to be a very long one too.

Great video and initial thoughts TC. It really is hard to think of negatives about these irons other than dirt in the channel, but an epoch tee gets it out in a jiffy.

When you going to get out on the course with them, TC? I know you have to be dying to get out there.

nice video tc and great comment. I am really wanting to try these clubs since I have the r11 driver and 3metal. Maybe Santa? Looking forward to more!

Great first video and range session TC. I am kind if surprised you aren't hitting these really high. Are you hitting these higher, lower, or as high compared to the Burner 2.0's or RXT's? I like that you are digging them, solid irons.

September 27, 2011
1030 Am - 3:00 PM
Browns Mill Golf Course just south of Hartsfield Aeroport
Partly sunny day with swirling wind

Today was the first day I was able to put the R11s in play. I played with my dad, his buddy and a guy from Ohio that was visiting (good stick..maybe a 2 hdcp) The practice facilities were suspect at best but the chipping and putting greean were very nice and well maintained. I tell you this because I did not hit a single full shot prior to my round.

Spoiler
I hit at least one R11 club on each hole except for maybe 4 holes. The first hole is a dog leg left par 5 with a generous landing area off the tee. I split the fairway and had 20 into the hole. I was not sure of my distances so I pulled my R11 4 iron in an attempt to reach the green in two. The ball shot off the club face with a soft fade and ended up right of the green by 10 yards.
The next hole was a par 3 that played 167. I pulled and 8 iron that crept on the front of the green by 10 ft. I did not feel the breeze on the tee that I felt on the green. This combined with a groove too low on the face casued this ball to come up short but on the green.
The next hole is a 435 par 4 with the second shot all up hill. I had 161 into the flag so I pull an 8 iron again since the flag was up front. I pulled this shot slightly and thought I was pin high left. I was clear off the back of the green. I know a pull will have a delofted club making the ball ball travel farther. But 170 up hill, little weird.
I hit a 9 iron on the next hole for my second from 140 into the the breeze. I took an easy swing and came up 15 feet short of the flag.

Everyshot I have hit up to this point with the exception of the 8 iron on the par 3 had a mid to high ball flight. I could feel the grooves on the face outting spin on the ball and the shaft giving way at impact. The R11s are extremely easy to hit. The larger head makes these GI clubs. The science behind them makes them players clubs. They respond when called upon.

Spoiler
I hit an 8 iron to #6 a downhill 176 yard par 3. The pin was up front so I was playing it 10 yards shorter. This may have been one of three really solid swings I had today. The ball hit the front of the green and took one hope forward before it spun off the front. It was a few inches off the front but I never thought it would suck back. The ball flight was extremely high moving slightly right to left.
On #7 I had 190 into the hole because of the drop I had to take. It was in moderate rough with a tree blocking the left front of the green. I had two plays, try to carry the tree or play to the front of the green. I was running hot after hooking my 3w into the gunge. I tried to hit the miracle on 34th street shot, I missed it and ended up hit this mid flight bullet that finished just in front of the green. I failed to get up and down
Hole #9 I had 65 yards into a front pin up hill once again. I pull my AW put it back in my stance and hit a low spinner that finished 10 ft below the hole.
#10 is down hill par 476yd par 5. I had 174 in to the hole after my drive. I hit it pin high with a 7 iron som 40' right of the flag. Though I did not get the draw I wanted I still got my distance and trajectory.
#11 I had 142 into a back right flag, I hit a thin 9 iron that had full flaps and stopped 25' below the hole.

I have not taken one hard swing with these irons all day. I would say I am swinging at 80% at this point in my round. You just do not have to over swing, force the issue or try to hit it hard. A good golf swing + R11 = quality shots.

Spoiler
#14 is a 220 par 3 uphill. 5 iron is not the club I would normally hit but I wanted to swing hard, I was once again running hot after the two previous holes. I flushed this 5 iron and found the front portion of the green. The ball flight was a mid trajectory flight with a slight right to left. I knew I had this shot from my range session the other night.
#15 I hit a 6 iron from 192 slightly downhill to a right front pin. The ball finished pin hit left side of the green. As I type this I am shaking my head at the distances I am seeing with these irons.
#17 175 par 3 with a back right pin and a bunker fron the right side of the green and water just short. I aimed at the center of the green with a slight draw that finished pin hitgh with my 7 iron.
#18 I had 220 into the par 5 all uphill second shot. I pulled the 4 and hit the shot of the day. An absolute frozen rope that never left the flag. It hit just short of the green one hope and stop 12' below the hole. (Birdie)

Over the years we have all read reviews about the next best thing. Or we read reviews about the club that will improve your game. Well this is one of those reviews. I am very pleased at the results of my first day on the course. The clubs were responsive, forgiving, long and stylish. I did not know what to expect when I went out there. I honestly thought my distances would be way off and this was not the case. These are longer than my irons that currently take up space in my garage. These are extremely forgiving on miss hits and they solid on good swings. I am still in the courtship mode with these so my rounds will just be straight forward golf, nothing tricky or special. These clubs are special all by themselves.

Great write up Tadashi - so much I could touch on in your review but I am enamored with the GI and GE combination that multiple reviewers are speaking of.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Back