TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Tadashi70
My R-11's are standard length and lie angle with the stock kbs 90 steel regular flex.

Noice....have fun...they're a blast to play with

just like to say ive give in and bought a set 4/sw kbs reg,im going to stop visiting this forum its costing me a fortune,should be here tomorrow so will leave a update when they come thanks for all the reviews on these to help me make my mind up

Look at biggsy spreading his love of the R11's to his buddies! Very cool!

Congrats on the new purchase homesy68 looking forward to your posts.

Taylormade R11 Iron Testing
Date- 10/22/11-10/23/11
Irons Used- Taylormade R11 Irons 4-AW Stiff Flex KBS Steel Shafts
Previous Irons-Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts
Ball Used-TM Penta/Bridgestone B330S
Testing Conditions- Partly Cloudy-55*
Location- Galen Hall/ Hickory Valley

Got out for 2 Rounds this weekend with the THP fall NE get together.... first off had a BLAST with everyone and got to hit some different clubs which is always nice. ill just go through both rounds and how things ended up.... i didn't play horribly this weekend but i def wasn't playing my best i was coming across the ball a lot this weekend so i was Right a lot this weekend. Still had some really great shots with the irons especially over some trees... more on that later. So before my round yesterday i got to hit some TM CBs to compare them with the R11s on the range. now i only could hit up to a 9 iron because the range was short about 150 yards then someones house. which i didn't want to hit. I had hit the CBs at my golf galaxy when i was trying out irons before purchasing my 2.0s and i didn't hit them well on the monitor there. but i actually hit them decent on the range. I was seeing some distance loss 5-10 yards from what i was hitting my R11s but mostly about 5 yards. and they still weren't as forgiving as my R11s but was nice just hitting them a bit to see where they stacked up cause i thought id hit them horrible from my previous experience. Now about my round yesterday... i only ended up playing 15 holes.... long story short i switched groups so we wouldn't have a 6some at one point because we were playing so slow. so i think i ended up with a 73. The greens at the course were the size of postage stamps and were very fast and shaped like upside down bowls. I as did everyone else had a hard time holding them even with chips you might run across the green. My AW chip which had become so great for me as of late quickly got switched to a 60* or 64* lob wedge chip. and even those were rolling far past the holes. i think i ended up with 6 GIR but i think there was a couple more that i hit and didn't stick. it wasn't my best irons day by any means. I did hit some nice shots with my longer irons. i had 173 yards left on my second shot on a par 5 and i hit a 7 iron to about 15' just missed my eagle putt for my first and only birdie of the day. I was making some decent shots but nothing was seeming to stick on these greens unless you could sky the ball.... this is where i wanted to touch on more especially after todays round... yesterday i had 101 to the flag but had a huge tree in front of me i grabbed my AW and put the ball in the front of my stance and hit a shot to 10' up over this tree.... i was really impressed with getting the ball up so high.... Today i had 2 other shots like this up over trees that i stuck very close.... one was 122 yards up over about a 40' tree that i had to get the ball up very quick i grabbed my PW and hit this shot by far my shot of the day with my irons today.....
IMG_0730.jpg

Also later i hit another shot from 140 out and got my 9 up and over a tree. I think the high ball trajectory helped me today with sticking the greens i did as well as getting up over these trees and saving shots from the right rough that normally i might have to "take my medicine" The greens today were not as fast as yesterday but def weren't slow and they were all slanted towards the fairways so every ball you hit would spin back.... i ended up clubbing up a lot hitting a softer shot and letting the ball roll back... after my 120 yard par 3 PW landed 10' from the pin and preceded to roll back 40-50' off of the green. it was just ridiculous. i had about 3 or 4 balls hit on the green and roll off from spin cause of the way the greens were laid out on the course.... that being said i only hit 6 GIR today but my ball striking wasn't very good. i was coming across of a lot of balls so i even was slicing the ball on a few shots... one was my 4 iron off the tee and the other one that stuck out in my mind was my 5 iron off of a dirt lie.... Gonna try to get that worked out this week. This is my big problem with my swing and i just was coming across more than i normally do... Anyway made some nice shots today and made some bad ones same for yesterday... Glad i got to hit some shots over some high trees today its one of my favorite shots to hit cause ive always been decent at getting the ball up quickly when i needed to. Another quick thing i noticed this weekend was with the weather getting colder... usually the feel in clubs gets harsher sometimes especially with bad shots i was still impressed with the feel and like i said i wasn't striking the ball very well so that was nice... ill keep this in mind as it gets colder up here and see how it is when it gets really cold......

Buckjob I'm glad that I got to see in person the flight of your hit's. Fellow ThPer's he doesn't kid you when he says it's going over the tall tree's. Buck was hitting them high and long. R11's are on my list to check out. Again it was a pleasure playing together this weekend hope to get together with you all again soon.

The vortex aka THP will keep you coming back for more. Glad you found a set and they are R11s. Lots of quality club testing threads with great reviews by other forum members. Glad one of the threads mya have assisted in your new purchase. Looking forward to your first post after you swing them a few times.
just like to say ive give in and bought a set 4/sw kbs reg,im going to stop visiting this forum its costing me a fortune,should be here tomorrow so will leave a update when they come thanks for all the reviews on these to help me make my mind up

I have seriously been pondering these irons. I might have to put the trigger before I planned on it. I have to acquire a bit more funding, but I am getting close.

Buck, you are like a broken record when it cones to these clubs :alien2:Glad to see your distances are become consistent as are the other testers of the R11s. Sounds like these clubs have made you a better ball stricker. Keep up the good work and glad you had a good time at the outing.

I have been thinking about getting the 4-AW as a set. I might even order a 3 iron from Edwin Watts for $99. Of the testers that have the three iron. How do you like it?

I have been thinking about getting the 4-AW as a set. I might even order a 3 iron from Edwin Watts for $99. Of the testers that have the three iron. How do you like it?
Could be wrong, but I think we all got 4i-AW, just different shafts.

Could be wrong, but I think we all got 4i-AW, just different shafts.

I received the 3 - PW set. I wouldn't mind having the AW, but the 3iron has been a nice addition. I had such great success with the Burner 2.0 3 iron that it was nice to have this one back in the bag. My first range session with it was a bit rough. I was seeing some inconsistencies in the ball flight (high then lower, then higher, then lower) with it. Nice distance but odd flighting. Lately, I've been hitting it well though. In fact, i hit it a couple of times when we played dmb and felt like I hit it quite well. It's very easy to hit. I hit it a bit more with One-t when we played and I hit some beauties with it. I mostly used it for my 2nd shot on the par 5's, just to lay up and I liked what I saw. Having seen you hit the R9 TP 3iron, you'll love having this 3 iron dude. I imagine it's much more forgiving, and longer.

I received the 3 - PW set. I wouldn't mind having the AW, but the 3iron has been a nice addition. I had such great success with the Burner 2.0 3 iron that it was nice to have this one back in the bag. My first range session with it was a bit rough. I was seeing some inconsistencies in the ball flight (high then lower, then higher, then lower) with it. Nice distance but odd flighting. Lately, I've been hitting it well though. In fact, i hit it a couple of times when we played dmb and felt like I hit it quite well. It's very easy to hit. I hit it a bit more with One-t when we played and I hit some beauties with it. I mostly used it for my 2nd shot on the par 5's, just to lay up and I liked what I saw. Having seen you hit the R9 TP 3iron, you'll love having this 3 iron dude. I imagine it's much more forgiving, and longer.

You are the biggest reason I have been pondering the 3 iron. You hit that thing great. I think it is worth the $99 for it.

Tapatalkin

You are the biggest reason I have been pondering the 3 iron. You hit that thing great. I think it is worth the $99 for it.

Tapatalkin

Do you think the 3iron or the AW would be more beneficial for your game?

I received the 3 - PW set.
I stand corrected...You'd think by now I'd know that TC was gonna' be difficult...I mean different!:D

I am regretting the fact that I did not ask Tadashi if I could hit a couple of his last week...I have been to my local golf shop a few times and they don't have a demo set and they won't even tape one up for me to hit (I am really not a fan of my local shop I buy most of my stuff online). These things look so awesome and they sound so nice. I was amazed at how low the ball flight was for Tadashi on some of his shots, he seemed to be able to control it really well. Can't wait to hit these sometime, just don't know when that will be!

I stand corrected...You'd think by now I'd know that TC was gonna' be difficult...I mean different!:D

It's ok, everyone skims the lefty's posts around here.

I find the ball flight from the stock shafts to be great for me, and I'm naturally a high ball hitter.

Do you think the 3iron or the AW would be more beneficial for your game?

Not sure about that. I have a Nike 52*. I could bend that to a 51* and mainly have an AW. $99 for an extra club isn't that bad though.

Tapatalkin

Not sure about that. I have a Nike 52*. I could bend that to a 51* and mainly have an AW. $99 for an extra club isn't that bad though.

Tapatalkin

No it's not. I also think you would reap the rewards of using that AW around the greens some.

No it's not. I also think you would reap the rewards of using that AW around the greens some.

Yeah I need some help there.

Tapatalkin

Yeah I need some forgiveness there.

Tapatalkin

FIFY dude. I saw you hit some killer little shots with the PW, imagine what that R11 AW can do for ya? Make it rain bro!

FIFY dude. I saw you hit some killer little shots with the PW, imagine what that R11 AW can do for ya? Make it rain bro!

It is going to rain soon. I just have a few finances to work out. Then it is going to pour! R11s that is.

Sweet! You'll love them. You'll love how they're like the R9's but sleeker, and longer, and sound better.

Yeah I need some help there.

Tapatalkin

We're talking different sets here, but some similarities... I added the AW to my set of 2.0s for use around the green, I wish I had done it to begin with. I absolutely love the AW around the green, great club to have. I am sure the R11 AW will work wonders for you.

It's ok, everyone skims the lefty's posts around here.
Not the lefty's..just the Carolinians!:D

$99 for an extra club isn't that bad though.
I love my AW. Really versatile club IMO. I've cbreezed the 3i and if I have a chance to hit one I certainly will and would pull the trigger on it quick like. At $124.99 (graphite), I gotta' make sure I want one of these things.

Back