Cleveland Releases Black Irons

Must not pre-order, must not pre-order.

I will tell you this, if I had $999 to spend right this second, I would have already done it.

JB can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe these were slightly shorter than the 2.0s, its been a few weeks since I have hit them so I can not recall 100%. As far as accuracy goes, my thoughts on this is related to having a smoother transition to my downswing and getting my swing on a better plane. The Black Irons w/ the Miya graphites in them had a very nice feel throughout the swing, and just overall made for a nice smooth swing. When it comes to the Black line, I think people are trying to focus too much on the club head, and are forgetting how important of a factor the shaft is in a club.

Have you played the R11's? Wondering how the 2.0 burners, The R11's and the black Irons compare.

Once I started aligning myself correctly, I was hitting some great shots. Two shots come to mind, on the 9th hole, 150 or so from the pin. Hit the 8 iron and aimed left of the pin. Hit a great shot, dead straight and missed the green to the left. On the back 9, I was roughly 120 from the green...I lined up with the Black PW and aimed dead at the pin and hit a great shot leaving it just short of the pin, right on target.

With the graphite Miya's in them, all the Black irons need is a smooth swing, and they will get it done.

I thought you played these the other day. Sorry if I missed your thoughts. I looked then got side tracked. Where did you post?

Had the 8-PW of the Black Irons out on the course today, and got to use them a good bit. I really liked the irons from the start when I hit them a few weeks back, was really surprised how easy it was to pick up an iron I had never hit before, with a graphite shaft and hit it well. That continued for me today, as I was able to pull off some very nice shots with the Black irons. The distance I was getting out of them was significantly longer than the irons I had been playing. I tend to aim left of my target, and let my fade bring the ball back to where I need it to go, but just as with the Black Driver, they just go dead straight for me. Biggest challenge I have is to remind myself to line up right on line with my target, rather than slightly left of it.

I know a few people have questioned the price point on this set. It is up there, but with the high end Miya shaft, the price is definitely worth it.

I thought you played these the other day. Sorry if I missed your thoughts. I looked then got side tracked. Where did you post?

I played the full set a few weeks back, and use the 8-PW on Wednesday.

Ok, cool.....thx

Have you played the R11's? Wondering how the 2.0 burners, The R11's and the black Irons compare.

I have not played the R11s. My current set are the 2.0s.

The 2.0s and the Blacks are comparable, biggest difference here for me with the clubs I played was Steel vs Graphite shaft. I really liked the feel of the Blacks with the Miya graphites in them. Felt my swing had a better tempo, and my transition felt a bit smoother. With my 2.0s I have a small fade with them, the Blacks I was getting everything to go directly on line with them. Distance is comparable.

The 2.0s and the Blacks are comparable, biggest difference here for me with the clubs I played was Steel vs Graphite shaft. I really liked the feel of the Blacks with the Miya graphites in them. Felt my swing had a better tempo, and my transition felt a bit smoother. With my 2.0s I have a small fade with them, the Blacks I was getting everything to go directly on line with them. Distance is comparable.

The distance is comparable to the 2.0s....wow

The distance is comparable to the 2.0s....wow

They are lofted the same, I was seeing every bit of distance in the Blacks as I see in the 2.0s.

Thanks for the feedback. I play with a Buddy ( scratch Golfer) he just switched to the Burner 2.0 with the graphite shafts. He use to play the R7 Tp Blades Steel shaft. he's loving the 2.0's much tighter dispersion. I guess it was Buck that played the 2.0's and is testing the R11's I'll have to check with him I believe he said he was liking the R11's. War.Eagle it's tough sorting through all the tester's and deciding what to try out when it's time to buy. I know everyone's going to say try them all have to come up with a shorter list only so many hours in a day.

Thanks for the feedback. I play with a Buddy ( scratch Golfer) he just switched to the Burner 2.0 with the graphite shafts. He use to play the R7 Tp Blades Steel shaft. he's loving the 2.0's much tighter dispersion. I guess it was Buck that played the 2.0's and is testing the R11's I'll have to check with him I believe he said he was liking the R11's. War.Eagle it's tough sorting through all the tester's and deciding what to try out when it's time to buy. I know everyone's going to say try them all have to come up with a shorter list only so many hours in a day.

It's impossible to try them all, unless you can get to a demo day in your area or something like that (THP Demo day FTW!). I jumped from the SlingShots to the Burner 2.0s, and it took me a long time to decided on which iron set would be best for me, and I demo'd a lot of sets on the course before deciding. The first time I hit the Black Irons, I liked them, a lot. I hit them well and they flat out worked for me. I would compare them to the Burner 2.0s, I really like the Black irons, and have found it interesting that I could just grab them for the first time and see instant results with them. It could be the Miya graphites that are in them that keep drawing me back, who knows. But, if you get the opportunity, hit the Black irons, I think you will like them. I think you would transition quite well from the SlingShots you have now to these.

I don't understand the price point on these irons. 899 for 7 clubs in steel and 999 for 7 clubs in graphite. I can maybe understand the 999 for graphite b/c of what everyone says about the shafts but still. These are in line with the new Callaway XF line.

Someone please educate me.

I don't understand the price point on these irons. 899 for 7 clubs in steel and 999 for 7 clubs in graphite. I can maybe understand the 999 for graphite b/c of what everyone says about the shafts but still. These are in line with the new Callaway XF line.

Someone please educate me.

The XFs are $1400.00. The Black irons are $999 (with Miya graphites).

I know but you add that 8th club - say a hybrid for around 200 then you are at 1200. Or add a wedge for the 8th club you will be at 1150. It's getting close.
Edit: is it the titanium face ?
The XFs are $1400.00. The Black irons are $999 (with Miya graphites).

I know but you add that 8th club - say a hybrid for around 200 then you are at 1200. Or add a wedge for the 8th club you will be at 1150. It's getting close.
Edit: is it the titanium face ?

Yes, it is a titanium face.

WOW @ the $899 price tag for steel shafts. Might as well go for the graphite at only $100 more. A little much for the steel irons?

WOW @ the $899 price tag for steel shafts. Might as well go for the graphite at only $100 more. A little much for the steel irons?

I was surprised that the graphite's were only $100 more.

I was surprised that the graphite's were only $100 more.

That is called pricing yourself right out of the race. Not smart IMO

I agree this is just a bit much for the steel. Maybe the graphite is worth it but it's only 7 clubs. The black wedges are more expensive than the 588s as well. I don't get it.

I dont necessarily agree. If you look at other clubs with the same or similar materials, you will see similar prices. Add to that, with the graphite getting expensive aftermarket shafts for the same cost as standard is something virtually unheard of.

Throughout the last year, we have seen the less expensive drivers (299) being outsold by the more expensive (399) by a staggering margin. I dont think this changes much and I also think that most consumers who are looking for a set like this (or others in the same bracket) see it as the same way.

People must remember that this is not a replacement set for the 16s which are still in the line and priced accordingly. Or to replace any iron really as for players irons they still have the 588 line coming. This is a new line with different materials and shafts that are designed for a certain segment of players. Cleveland will actually now have irons at almost every price line out there.

Reg shafts for both are going to be $139.00. The GG-15 Oil Crunch are at $80.00 ea now.

I dont necessarily agree. If you look at other clubs with the same or similar materials, you will see similar prices. Add to that, with the graphite getting expensive aftermarket shafts for the same cost as standard is something virtually unheard of.

Throughout the last year, we have seen the less expensive drivers (299) being outsold by the more expensive (399) by a staggering margin. I dont think this changes much and I also think that most consumers who are looking for a set like this (or others in the same bracket) see it as the same way.

People must remember that this is not a replacement set for the 16s which are still in the line and priced accordingly. Or to replace any iron really as for players irons they still have the 588 line coming. This is a new line with different materials and shafts that are designed for a certain segment of players. Cleveland will actually now have irons at almost every price line out there.

I dunno dude, $899 seems awfully steep for steel shaft irons. What exactly is the segment of player that these are designed for?

I dunno dude, $899 seems awfully steep for steel shaft irons. What exactly is the segment of player that these are designed for?

Rich people with slow swing speeds.

That's way absurd for steel shaft irons. I mean, they aren't even a forged head. $899 for a GI iron? I must seriously be missing something.

That's way absurd for steel shaft irons. I mean, they aren't even a forged head. $899 for a GI iron? I must seriously be missing something.

Yeah...i am lost on this one as well

Tapatalk

Pretty much what I was thinking too. Now, if youre bringing the graphite shafted irons in at this price point you got a winner on your hands. But I just dont see the justification for $899 GI irons.

Pretty much what I was thinking too. Now, if youre bringing the graphite shafted irons in at this price point you got a winner on your hands. But I just dont see the justification for $899 GI irons.

You guys know the CBs are $899? How about the Razr XF? Mizuno MX-1000? How about Ping Rapture when they were released? All that price or higher. Granted many were 8 irons (although some of those were more than $899 and cost per iron is similar), but the general consumer is not as concerned about the # of irons in my opinion. Its about a set price. When certain "ingredients" are used, the cost of irons goes up. As has been stated, just like most companies, they have an iron set at almost every price level. This is on the high end of that bracket, just as the other irons are for those other companies.

Its about having choices for different golfers. The Black line is about a different segment and it was addressed in detail in the radio show about the driver.

Back