TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

10yd so was this a miss by the Qa dept.@ Taylormade? I've heard of problems coming from Titlelist Irons now you have me worried.

Yes I ordered 2* upright they were shipped 3* upright. I wouldnt be worried at all to be honest, these things happen every once in awhile. There is not a company on this planet that is perfect. No big deal at all im just glad its taken care of now.

Looks like you have them set up perfectly. I think I just saw on FB that you won a scor wedge Congrats. Set up a fitting for Tuesday to get fit for the R-11's lot's of good reviews from the group hard to pass up.

Looks like you have them set up perfectly. I think I just saw on FB that you won a scor wedge Congrats. Set up a fitting for Tuesday to get fit for the R-11's lot's of good reviews from the group hard to pass up.

Ya cant wait to get the Scor. I think you will LOVE the R11's, you better let us know how the fitting goes, do you plan on just hitting the R11's or are you going to hit a bunch of different OEM's?

My list is the R-11's ,2.0 burner, and Nike pro Combo's. Unfortunately GG doesn't carry Wilson been reading good stuff on the Di11's. Played with Buck last month I was really liking the flight of the R-11's and his honest feed back putting them up against his 2.0 Burners. I'm hoping that the R-11's will show me good numbers with my fitting. Oh yeah I'll report in how everything goes with the fitting.

Yea that he gave up golf for a year!!....LOL

No seriously, I am not one of the testers but would lie to respond to the question asked abut those clubs staying in the bag. Previous to getting the R11s I had been searching for a new set of irons and thought I had found the "right set" when I stumbled upon this thread. I read the glowing reviews from TC and Tadashi and others and it got my mind thinking a bit ( always a dangerous thing). As I researched and talked more my focus was on the shafts of the different irons and the differences between them. I spoke to TC ( our favorite shaft guy) a bit about the differences and decided if opportunity presented itself I would check these out and a couple days later I took a few swings at the local golf store and have not looked back since. I swapped out my old set for the R11s and I absolutely love the choice I made. In the 5 rounds I have played with the irons I can feel my confidence growing each and every time. My shot making is improving with each round and my confidence grows more and more. RIght now I can confidently say I have absolutely no desire at all to look at another set of irons. I want to take the time needed to work with these clubs and with them become the golfer I know I am now that I have what I feel are the best irons for me and my game.

So, WhiteRhino, which shaft did you end up choosing for your R11 irons, and how did you decide on that one? And I have sought a private consultation with TC and banked his suggestion. Just curious how you chose. Thanks in advance. Pat

Pat I have the KBS tour 90 shafts in mine. When I got tested for shaft suggestions it was recommended to me to look for a shaft around 100-105 grams. The set I was using prior to the r11s had shaft that were just a little heavier and I was told they would be ok. Well after a few rounds I knew they weren't. I had KBS shafts in my wedges and really liked the feel of them so I talked a little with TC and then researched getting new shafts (KBS 90s) for that previous set. After finding out what the cost would be and hearing all the successes from TC, and Tadashi and all the other testers I decided to take a shot and swap clubs. I returned the other set to the store (they have a 90 day return policy) and used the $$ to get the r11s. I am very happy with the choice I have made and do not see me looking for irons for a couple of years.

Pic of my 7 iron after about 20-25 balls on the range before my round today. Pretty much getting dialed in with them and I love it!
R117ironsweetspot.jpg
That looks really good. I wish mine looked like that after 20-25 shots.

That looks really good. I wish mine looked like that after 20-25 shots.

Mine dont always look like that lol, it was just one of those days.

I had a decent day with the R11s yesterday. I really struggled with the whole golf game, not just the irons. It was a windy day, but the temperature was about 65*. I struggled with the first 5 holes the most. I just couldn't get any thing going. Drivers were going hard left, irons were really short and chips just horrendous. I finally started to pull things together on the 6th hole and pared out 7-9. We had to quit after that due to slow play and the sun going down. (Side note: The course gave us a rain check for the back nine for slow play. Score!)

I think most of my round with the R11 was not worth noting on, but I was really sucking! When my game finally came in, they started to do a better job. I still keep coming up short with them. I think it is mostly because I seem to be between clubs all the time. I just have to get my game used to the distances they are providing. I think my game will be on fire then. I am hitting the ball straight at my target, but just coming up short or long. Depends on the choice of club. I need to get to the range some more this week to keep dialing these babies in. More to come in the future.

Just keep at it dmb, when you're in a groove with these irons they will be your best friends...
I had a decent day with the R11s yesterday. I really struggled with the whole golf game, not just the irons. It was a windy day, but the temperature was about 65*. I struggled with the first 5 holes the most. I just couldn't get any thing going. Drivers were going hard left, irons were really short and chips just horrendous. I finally started to pull things together on the 6th hole and pared out 7-9. We had to quit after that due to slow play and the sun going down. (Side note: The course gave us a rain check for the back nine for slow play. Score!)

I think most of my round with the R11 was not worth noting on, but I was really sucking! When my game finally came in, they started to do a better job. I still keep coming up short with them. I think it is mostly because I seem to be between clubs all the time. I just have to get my game used to the distances they are providing. I think my game will be on fire then. I am hitting the ball straight at my target, but just coming up short or long. Depends on the choice of club. I need to get to the range some more this week to keep dialing these babies in. More to come in the future.

Thank you....I just saw this Shark, please keep us up to date on the R11 hunt. You will enjoy them as much as the testers and ohers owners have commented on.

Tadashi this reads like a romance novel. I've got my eyes on the R-11's and hopefully next Tuesday the numbers work out with a fitting. Thanks for all your input.

weather here has sucked lately and i havn't gotten out. Good news is my lessons have been going really well and i really think my swing is becoming a lot smoother and with the results i have seen in the past with a smooth swing with these irons i can't wait to see how they are after i get this new tempo down. Good news is i should be getting out friday for a skins game with a bunch of buddies at a nice course. Should be an awesome time, weather is looking nice so far. keeping my fingers crossed it sucks not being able to hit them all week.... and for everyone asking if these are staying in the bag after the testing... i sold my burners 2.0s to my buddy yesterday so these are in the bag for a while prob for all next season at least.

November 21, 2011
Party rainy, sunny and cloudy
JW Marriott driving range
R11 7iron testing

A buddy of mine called me and ask me to meet him at Grande Lakes Golf course located at the JW Marriott for a quick lesson. It was a slow day at the office so I hopped into the truck and made the short 7 min ride over.
Grand lakes is a nice track about 10 minutes from convention center row. The range is wide, flat and deep. Taylormade actually held their burner 2.0 demo on this range.
Well it was good to see my buddy from up north and we feel right back into our old banter. He asked for some help to prepare him for a corporate scramble he would be playing in. He has a decent swing but as a lot a amateurs he comes over the top 1 out every 3 swings. He plays AP1s and has grooved a descent mark on the face. But he hits them very low. Insert R11 7i which I always carry for lessons. He took the club and immediately said it was too light. I told him just swing the club and stop belly aching. First swing produced a nice high over the top fade. That moved maybe 5 yards so it still landed left of the intended target. A few more swings followed and his dispersion was very tight with each swing. But the ball flight is what really stood out to him not thr accuracy. Oh he commented on the length. I told him the the height was going to five him more distance. He took a few more cuts after some adjustments and began hitting a symphony of straight bombs that never left his target. He immediately picked up the AP1s and made what looked to the same move and came up at least 10 yds short and had half the height of the R11s.
I took a few swings and got my usual results. Nothing new to report....oh he called me on my way home tonight to tell me that he purchased the R11s today 3-SW. I guess that is something new. It seems that folks read or hit these clubs and start wanting to switch. Better yet they go out and purchase. Another one bit by the R11 bug. I'll be teeing it up tomorrow at Bella Colina with some clients and a few friends. I'll have a full write up after.

November 21, 2011
Party rainy, sunny and cloudy
JW Marriott driving range
R11 7iron testing

A buddy of mine called me and ask me to meet him at Grande Lakes Golf course located at the JW Marriott for a quick lesson. It was a slow day at the office so I hopped into the truck and made the short 7 min ride over.
Grand lakes is a nice track about 10 minutes from convention center row. The range is wide, flat and deep. Taylormade actually held their burner 2.0 demo on this range.
Well it was good to see my buddy from up north and we feel right back into our old banter. He asked for some help to prepare him for a corporate scramble he would be playing in. He has a decent swing but as a lot a amateurs he comes over the top 1 out every 3 swings. He plays AP1s and has grooved a descent mark on the face. But he hits them very low. Insert R11 7i which I always carry for lessons. He took the club and immediately said it was too light. I told him just swing the club and stop belly aching. First swing produced a nice high over the top fade. That moved maybe 5 yards so it still landed left of the intended target. A few more swings followed and his dispersion was very tight with each swing. But the ball flight is what really stood out to him not thr accuracy. Oh he commented on the length. I told him the the height was going to five him more distance. He took a few more cuts after some adjustments and began hitting a symphony of straight bombs that never left his target. He immediately picked up the AP1s and made what looked to the same move and came up at least 10 yds short and had half the height of the R11s.
I took a few swings and got my usual results. Nothing new to report....oh he called me on my way home tonight to tell me that he purchased the R11s today 3-SW. I guess that is something new. It seems that folks read or hit these clubs and start wanting to switch. Better yet they go out and purchase. Another one bit by the R11 bug. I'll be teeing it up tomorrow at Bella Colina with some clients and a few friends. I'll have a full write up after.

The sign of a truly great product. When someone goes out and purchases of their own accord after a quick lesson or demo, that says something.

I'm not gonna lie.... if I do not make the MC 2, these may be in the bag by spring

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

If all goes well, these will be in the bag by Sunday. I couldn't ignore the extra yards I was pulling out. I have heard some poor reviews on the net, but these are good. Thanks reviewers, once again played a factor in the purchase(everything better go according to plan). 4-AW, swapping to ndmc mid. That should be good. Looking forward to waiting till spring to golf, it's gonna be tough.

Tad that post right there is what has me interesting in these things. My RXF's are higher lofted but seem to have such a low ball flight from what I used to have.

Tad that post right there is what has me interesting in these things. My RXF's are higher lofted but seem to have such a low ball flight from what I used to have.

I admit these clubs sell themselves but my buddy also trust me and my judgment. But more importantly they out performed his current set. That right there sells them everytime

The R11's have a real legit shot at getting into the bag still. This thread has helped a lot believe me although the TP CB tested well for me this weekend. It may come down to a flip of the coin. Although, seeing that my irons were blueprinted right at the end of October or so. Decisions.

Alex

I admit these clubs sell themselves but my buddy also trust me and my judgment. But more importantly they out performed his current set. That right there sells them everytime

This is a skim but I wanted to ask again if you noticed holding balls better on the green? I mainly am wondering how well the 6 iron is able to hold from the fairway.

This is a skim but I wanted to ask again if you noticed holding balls better on the green? I mainly am wondering how well the 6 iron is able to hold from the fairway.

dude you could hold a 2 iron with the R11's lol, I know they dont make a 2 but it would hold, they are spinny!

I have been more impressed wight the R11 holding power than any other feature of the club. I'm holding greens with every club (for me that's when properly stuck and on target) :D Seriously, they stick great! And I prefer a less spin ball (e6)

i think they hold great i don't think ive had more than a few feet roll out from my ball marks on almost all my irons. i have taken a bunch of pics in my write ups showing my ball marks and where my balls ended up.

Alright I'll give my irons another week and see if I can fix things if not I might be rocking a set of these. Thanks everyone :)

Thank you....I just saw this Shark, please keep us up to date on the R11 hunt. You will enjoy them as much as the testers and ohers owners have commented on.

Sure will, every time I've held them at the store getting a feel it's hard to put them back in the rack. Tomorrow will be the true test . it will be Like many post's I've read the numbers will make the sale I'm hoping the R-11's will come out on top.

Back