TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

TaylorMade R11 Iron Testing
Date - 11/17/2011
Irons -
TaylorMade R11 Irons w/ graphite shafts
Previous Irons -
Callaway Razr X Tour

At this point in the TaylorMade R11 testing its been almost 3 months and I wanted to provide a state of the union update. Course and range time is getting more and more difficult during the week if not impossible. This leaves the weekend for either playing golf or range time and like most people actually playing golf usually wins out. And with the current state of my swing I use the term 'playing golf' lightly. I do feel like over the course of 3 months Ive had a good amount of time to be able to accurately grade the R11's up to this point. I dont believe in anything or anyone is perfect. If so we would stop buying equipment. So, dont expect all A+ here because there is always room for improvement.

Looks: Most of us remember the day we saw the R11 irons break on THP and the big red lug nut in the back. Well, lets just say they look much better in person. And a big part of my grade on looks also have to include the shafts which simply look awesome. Back to the lug nut. Its a precision weighted port that keeps the swing weight uniform across each iron and the CG optimally positioned. So while you may not love the look it does serve its purpose. While I prefer a darker finished iron I do think the R11's look very good. They look modern, clean, sleek, set up nicely, still look forgiving and maybe most importantly hold up well. Grade: A

Sound & Feel:
Sound is something I struggle with. Sound? They sound like clubs. When I hit a good shot rarely do I think "wow that sounded good" or "Did you hear that?" For me irons are not like drivers where one can sound awful and one can sound booming or deep or high pitched. Do they sound bad? No. Do they sing sweet music to my ears on good shots? I guess. We all know the feeling when you just pure a shot. You know it because you don't really feel it.The R11 irons are no different They feel fantastic when you hit the sweet spot with that lug nut And I think they feel even softer with graphite shafts. Grade: B+

Performance: This is where the R11's really shine. For me Ive found them to be about as good as an iron can be. They offer a great package that performs as good as it looks. I thought I might see a little loss of distance with these but that just hasn't been the case. Are they the longest iron out there? No and if that is all you are looking for then you probably wouldn't be looking at these irons in the first place. But you will get an iron that will offer you very good distance that comes in high and lands soft. Lets not forget the graphite shafts. Eye opener. Unexpected results. And all good. So far I have yet to have someone hit these and not be impressed with how good the shafts feel. That includes another tester and Morgan Cup 1.0 participant. They are good probably nothing like what you might think. Grade: A

Forgiveness:
I find the R11 irons to be as forgiving a club as I could imagine. They offer a little offset but not so much that its distracting or garish. They don't seem to be all that punishing out on the toe but you still feel it. There will be 10- 15 yards of distance loss but I find that an acceptable for that miss. Frankly Ive been quite surprised just how forgiving a club that isnt a SGI club can be. And I think even if someone might not quite feel they are up to the skill level of the R11's its still a club that ones game can grow into. Do I still occasionally struggle with fat shots? Yes and these will dig in wet turf too. And the hosel is just as unforgiving as any other hosel, so if you struggle with the occasional hosel rocket like I have lately wont disappoint you. Grade: A-

Conclusion: At this point in my testing Im extremely impressed by what TaylorMade has brought to the market in the R11's. At first glance I wanted to not like the R11 irons and the marketing machine that comes with most TaylorMade products. But they just work and they work extremely well. I think better then any irons Ive had up to this point. They are that good. Combine all the looks, performance and shafts that not only look awesome but feel great and you have a winner. I think these irons could work for the vast majority of golfers out there and the majority will thoroughly enjoy them. So how likely am I to keep them in my bag? They dont call me OEM Kevin for nothing. But for now I dont see them coming out of the bag any time soon and will continue to enjoy testing them.

Last edited:
That was a really well written review, OEM. Nice job dude.

That was a really well written review, OEM. Nice job dude.

I agree. OEM brought it. I completely agree with his thoughts as well.

Great job Kevin! I agree with you on all accounts about these irons. I have had mine only for two weeks and have falling in love with them.

OEM outstanding writeup dude! Very good info in there, "They dont call me OEM Kevin for nothing" haha I lost it. I hope to see these still in your bag at the end of next year, that would really be saying something.

Thanks guys. 10Yard, that is a very very good possibility dude. These things are really good.

Thanks guys. 10Yard, that is a very very good possibility dude. These things are really good.

I really think that would be the ultimate statement of how good these are. When OEM doesnt OEM something it has to be good lol.

Pictures!

Pictures!

I almost forgot, I meant to add some pictures to show the current condition of the irons. Hopefully this will give some indication of wear after a few months of use. I choose the 4 iron because we've become very good friends lately haha

Spoiler
IMG_0657.jpg

Spoiler
IMG_0659.jpg

Spoiler
IMG_0660.jpg

I could repeat the sentiments of all the other forum members but I won't cuz your review says it all. Very Noice EOM!

TaylorMade R11 Iron Testing
Date - 11/17/2011
Irons -
TaylorMade R11 Irons w/ graphite shafts
Previous Irons -
Callaway Razr X Tour

At this point in the TaylorMade R11 testing its been almost 3 months and I wanted to provide a state of the union update. Course and range time is getting more and more difficult during the week if not impossible. This leaves the weekend for either playing golf or range time and like most people actually playing golf usually wins out. And with the current state of my swing I use the term 'playing golf' lightly. I do feel like over the course of 3 months Ive had a good amount of time to be able to accurately grade the R11's up to this point. I dont believe in anything or anyone is perfect. If so we would stop buying equipment. So, dont expect all A+ here because there is always room for improvement.

Looks: Most of us remember the day we saw the R11 irons break on THP and the big red lug nut in the back. Well, lets just say they look much better in person. And a big part of my grade on looks also have to include the shafts which simply look awesome. Back to the lug nut. Its a precision weighted port that keeps the swing weight uniform across each iron and the CG optimally positioned. So while you may not love the look it does serve its purpose. While I prefer a darker finished iron I do think the R11's look very good. They look modern, clean, sleek, set up nicely, still look forgiving and maybe most importantly hold up well. Grade: A

Sound & Feel:
Sound is something I struggle with. Sound? They sound like clubs. When I hit a good shot rarely do I think "wow that sounded good" or "Did you hear that?" For me irons are not like drivers where one can sound awful and one can sound booming or deep or high pitched. Do they sound bad? No. Do they sing sweet music to my ears on good shots? I guess. We all know the feeling when you just pure a shot. You know it because you don't really feel it.The R11 irons are no different They feel fantastic when you hit the sweet spot with that lug nut And I think they feel even softer with graphite shafts. Grade: B+

Performance: This is where the R11's really shine. For me Ive found them to be about as good as an iron can be. They offer a great package that performs as good as it looks. I thought I might see a little loss of distance with these but that just hasn't been the case. Are they the longest iron out there? No and if that is all you are looking for then you probably wouldn't be looking at these irons in the first place. But you will get an iron that will offer you very good distance that comes in high and lands soft. Lets not forget the graphite shafts. Eye opener. Unexpected results. And all good. So far I have yet to have someone hit these and not be impressed with how good the shafts feel. That includes another tester and Morgan Cup 1.0 participant. They are good probably nothing like what you might think. Grade: A

Forgiveness:
I find the R11 irons to be as forgiving a club as I could imagine. They offer a little offset but not so much that its distracting or garish. They don't seem to be all that punishing out on the toe but you still feel it. There will be 10- 15 yards of distance loss but I find that an acceptable for that miss. Frankly Ive been quite surprised just how forgiving a club that isnt a SGI club can be. And I think even if someone might not quite feel they are up to the skill level of the R11's its still a club that ones game can grow into. Do I still occasionally struggle with fat shots? Yes and these will dig in wet turf too. And the hosel is just as unforgiving as any other hosel, so if you struggle with the occasional hosel rocket like I have lately wont disappoint you. Grade: A-

Conclusion: At this point in my testing Im extremely impressed by what TaylorMade has brought to the market in the R11's. At first glance I wanted to not like the R11 irons and the marketing machine that comes with most TaylorMade products. But they just work and they work extremely well. I think better then any irons Ive had up to this point. They are that good. Combine all the looks, performance and shafts that not only look awesome but feel great and you have a winner. I think these irons could work for the vast majority of golfers out there and the majority will thoroughly enjoy them. So how likely am I to keep them in my bag? They dont call me OEM Kevin for nothing. But for now I dont see them coming out of the bag any time soon and will continue to enjoy testing them.

Dude, outstanding writeup! I especially loved the Sound & Feel category. They feel like an iron!!

Also the pics of your irons is awesome. That 4I looks almost new!

Thanks for posting the updated wear pictures. I think I am going to get me some of these. I am leaning heavily because price point is pretty good. It also appears no ones badging in the cavity fell out, good! This should be the set that lasts me 2 seasons. Going to hit them against everything this Saturday.

Thanks testers for your honest reviews. I am curious as to how many people bought these because such awesome testing.

OEM outstanding writeup dude! Very good info in there, "They dont call me OEM Kevin for nothing" haha I lost it. I hope to see these still in your bag at the end of next year, that would really be saying something.

Yea that he gave up golf for a year!!....LOL

No seriously, I am not one of the testers but would lie to respond to the question asked abut those clubs staying in the bag. Previous to getting the R11s I had been searching for a new set of irons and thought I had found the "right set" when I stumbled upon this thread. I read the glowing reviews from TC and Tadashi and others and it got my mind thinking a bit ( always a dangerous thing). As I researched and talked more my focus was on the shafts of the different irons and the differences between them. I spoke to TC ( our favorite shaft guy) a bit about the differences and decided if opportunity presented itself I would check these out and a couple days later I took a few swings at the local golf store and have not looked back since. I swapped out my old set for the R11s and I absolutely love the choice I made. In the 5 rounds I have played with the irons I can feel my confidence growing each and every time. My shot making is improving with each round and my confidence grows more and more. RIght now I can confidently say I have absolutely no desire at all to look at another set of irons. I want to take the time needed to work with these clubs and with them become the golfer I know I am now that I have what I feel are the best irons for me and my game.

Last edited:
Just curious, do some of the testers think the R11 Irons will stay in their bag after the testing is completed?
Thanks,
Pat
Absolutely. I couldn't imagine switching sticks now. I've become comfortable with the R11s and love the feel, balance, and contact with these clubs. I like the topline of them and they're smooth in longer cuts.

Two Shoes and White Rhino,

Outstanding recommendations! Thanks.
Going to get some early next week or bust!!

the forum testers that were selected after signup and here is a list of those that will be providing feedback in this thread.
TC
OEM Kevin
Buckjob
Tadashi
2Shoes

Just curious, do some of the testers think the R11 Irons will stay in their bag after the testing is completed?
Thanks,
Pat

Like the others have stated DrPat, Im very happy with the R11's and have no other irons on my mind right now. Im actually looking forward to the spring so I can get more quality range time in with them as I know my scores will improve because of it.

nice write up kev... i feel the same way about a lot of what you wrote. really great irons and they are also the best set of irons i have ever played with.

Kmac, I read your write up again this morning and it was very well thought out and constructed.

Fan freaking tastic review dude!

nice write up kev... i feel the same way about a lot of what you wrote. really great irons and they are also the best set of irons i have ever played with.

Kmac, I read your write up again this morning and it was very well thought out and constructed.

Fan freaking tastic review dude!

Thank you guys for taking the time to read write up. Its always nice to know it get reads. Bro hugs!

Guys:

Great info on these clubs all the way around. Kevin.. thanks for taking the time to grade these irons and write a report card.

Alex

Great write up Kevin. You put allot of heart into your grading of your R-11's. I went to GG yesterday and set up an appointment for a fitting with one of my favorite workers to see him next Tuesday evening. I'm hoping the the numbers work out for the R-11's I really have taken a liking to them.

November 17, 2011
Overcast mid 70s
Shingle Creek Drving Range
R11 long iron testing
Previous irons Srixon i701 tours

As busy I have been lately I could have easily stayed behind my desk instead of heading to the range for an hour of R11 love. I had the sticks in the truck and made tracks for the Shingle Creek to scene of my first affair with these irons. Only 8 weeks removed from that first session I feel like these have been in my bag for months. Holding them in my hands brings back the feeling of all the good shots these clubs have produced in a short amount of time.
I had no warm up I just got right into it with easy swings at first progressing into some really good cuts. The wind was at a minimum from left to right. My goal was just to groove a swing and let the club do what it may. I had no shot shape in mind and did not try working the ball. What ever appeared would be good enough for me. As you can imagine the shots varied from one to the next. But the height, direction and length all stayed consistent. For the most part I hit straight shots or a slight fade that held its line very nice. I was looking at a mid to high ball flight with all three irons, 3 - 5. The ball melted off the face over and over again.
The star of the group was my newest member, 3i. This club hits a mid height straight ball that tumbles end over end and hits the ground running. I can't remember the last time I was excited to hit multiple 3is on the range. It was actually a joy! The R11s breed confidence with each session I have with them whether it be on the course or on the range. Creative shots are now next in line, I need to be able to shape shots from time to time and I am going to start working on those.

Tadashi this reads like a romance novel. I've got my eyes on the R-11's and hopefully next Tuesday the numbers work out with a fitting. Thanks for all your input.

Pic of my 7 iron after about 20-25 balls on the range before my round today. Pretty much getting dialed in with them and I love it!
R117ironsweetspot.jpg

Looks great 10yd, certainly a million times better than before. Forgive the skim, but I was away for 2 weeks while you got your irons adjusted. What ended up hapenning?

Looks great 10yd, certainly a million times better than before. Forgive the skim, but I was away for 2 weeks while you got your irons adjusted. What ended up hapenning?

Ya CB tons better than before lol, almost missed the grooves before it was so off. They ended up being 1* to upright, had them bent 1* flat as taylormade shipped them 3* upright instead of 2*, its all good now. Its amazing how much 1* can throw you off.

10yd so was this a miss by the Qa dept.@ Taylormade? I've heard of problems coming from Titlelist Irons now you have me worried.

Back