Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

Honestly, I like them both and I think it would come down to which one fit me best. The shafts have pretty different profiles. One of my next tasks is to compare the two on the monitor for my swing.

I think you will find just how different they are. In our work with both of them, I found only a couple of similarities.

Name Brand.
High Quality shaft.

Different weighting, different head shape and look, different ball flight.

I think you will find just how different they are. In our work with both of them, I found only a couple of similarities.

Name Brand.
High Quality shaft.

Different weighting, different head shape and look, different ball flight.

That's sort of what I'm expecting as well. Should be fun to see what the differences are and to what degree. I've hit a lot of fairways this year and didn't expect to find one that beat the FL for me.

I can't wait to hit this club. Hawk you've done a great job in this thread dude

Thanks, Chunky. I've actually posted more than normal this early in a review process, but I just can't help it.

Your kind of giving away the plot lol

LOL, I worry about that sometimes, but I think that having this extra info out there is good too. It's almost a bonus for the forum members since so many of the people reading the homepage reviews don't come here.

Its awesome dude. I think this may be the club I look forward to hitting the most right now. I'm going to shock and awe Dean with the Cleveland BLack Line

Its awesome dude. I think this may be the club I look forward to hitting the most right now. I'm going to shock and awe Dean with the Cleveland BLack Line

That's a real possibility dude. I wouldn't be surprised if he just concedes to a 3rd place finish in the MC after seeing you rip a couple drives out there 260-270 yards.

That's a real possibility dude. I wouldn't be surprised if he just concedes to a 3rd place finish in the MC after seeing you rip a couple drives out there 260-270 yards.

Yeah I will be using the 588's while he uses the CB's. It's not a fair fight really but what can you do. I am awesome

Yeah I will be using the 588's while he uses the CB's. It's not a fair fight really but what can you do. I am awesome

You should sneak in first to see if there's a CG Black fwy for you to bag.

You should sneak in first to see if there's a CG Black fwy for you to bag.

I am there well before Dean. My bag will be set quickly

I am there well before Dean. My bag will be set quickly

Be sure to hide other stuff that he might use as well. Id say hide JBs putter but he may have a backup.

Ready, Aim, (Kindle) FIRE!

Hawk could you see having the 3, 5, and 7 and then going straight to the irons?

while I'm not playing Black (yet) but that setup you just specified is EGGZACTLY what I have in my bag.

Driver, 3w, 5w, 7w then 7 iron .... and there in lays a problem. On my home course, my regular tees, this is not a problem. But on AWAY courses I have a big gap between that 7 iron and the 7 wood and it needs to get filled in.

Week or so ago I played with DawgDaddy and hit that Adams A12 6h he's testing. Filled that gap PERFECTLY, and I hit it good too ..... it's near the top of the hit list to fill that gap

Obviously can't say for sure, but I imagine the 16° will really put the ball up there and out there. I've never hit the ball as high with a fairway wood ever.

Interesting ..... might be a target club to replace that HiBore 3w that I currently have. I like it, but I'm game for changing too :)

I think it's a really good thing when it comes to getting some big carry numbers. It wasn't the best into strong wind, but that's a matter of picking the right club/shot in my opinion. I think more than anything, the height was getting me yards.

Totally agree with you

I like the ball flight you describe with this wood. I would love to have a little higher ball flight than my current Nike VR STR8 FIT. Ultimately this could lead to some better distance as well. This is one club I would just love to get on a launch monitor. Keep up the great review Hawk

Hawk, how would you compare this to the Maruman shuttle Fairway wood your reviewed not to long ago?

Hawk could you see having the 3, 5, and 7 and then going straight to the irons?

Obviously can't say for sure, but I imagine the 16° will really put the ball up there and out there. I've never hit the ball as high with a fairway wood ever.

I can see myself going with that setup. I have hit 7 woods before and love them. And if this one gets them up higher and at 200+ yards (based on Hawk's preliminary findings on the 5 wood), why not?

I got to hit this at the PGA Superstore today and it flat out ROCKS! I was not able to get any numbers but I REALLY liked how it felt during the swing. I am gong to have to go back and get some numbers but this club has really caught my eye.

Hawk, how would you compare this to the Maruman shuttle Fairway wood your reviewed not to long ago?

Sorry for the delay, RW. I've been out of town. It's not anything like the Maruman from what I've seen. Longer, sounds better, and looks better. It really wouldn't even be a fair contest between the two.

I got to hit this at the PGA Superstore today and it flat out ROCKS! I was not able to get any numbers but I REALLY liked how it felt during the swing. I am gong to have to go back and get some numbers but this club has really caught my eye.

Nice to hear you took some swings with it! I think this could be a good one for you since you seem to be looking for a little more height in your shots.

Sorry for the delay, RW. I've been out of town. It's not anything like the Maruman from what I've seen. Longer, sounds better, and looks better. It really wouldn't even be a fair contest between the two.
I hope you had a great time while you were out! I went back and looked at the Maruman pics and it has a much shallower face. After seeing this club for real today I really think that you are absolutely right it does look better.

Nice to hear you took some swings with it! I think this could be a good one for you since you seem to be looking for a little more height in your shots.

Yes i am and this one just might be the ticket. I just wished they had it in a four wood. Now I am really anxious to get my lessons and get back on track and then this one might have to have a chance to get in my bag.

The 3W is 16°, so it will have a little more loft like a 4w. Good luck with the lessons and I hope you get a chance to swing this one on the monitor!

I am looking forward to both.

Great looking club. It should do well.

Almost have this completed and it should be up in the coming week or so. Definitely an eye-opening review and hopefully some more of you can get out and hit these soon. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Almost have this completed and it should be up in the coming week or so. Definitely an eye-opening review and hopefully some more of you can get out and hit these soon. Would love to hear your thoughts.

This I'm excited for Hawk! I think the Black line is absolutely stunning and I'm anxious to see if this or the Ultralite makes the final cut.

Back