Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a short video showing the CG Black fairway wood. It's very impressive in person and I am really looking forward to giving it some swings. Definitely has some differences from the FL series - it actually feels light to me, which I don't seem to notice as much with the FL. Should have this on the course tomorrow and it will be perfect for my first tee shot.

DSCF2349-2.jpg

DSCF2340.jpg

DSCF2352.jpg

DSCF2354.jpg

DSCF2356.jpg

• Staff
Sorry the pics aren't quite as good as normal. My good camera is not functioning at the moment and had to use the backup.

nice hawk. Looking forward to your thoughts on it. I know JB liked it. Interested to see how it compares to the FL and the G20 that you just reviewed.

Thanks Hawk. I look forward to your review.

Hawk that looks great man and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Do you notice the white grooves at address at all? Its one of the many things that bugged me about the Rescue 11 was how the grooves looked at address.

Overall I think this club looks amazing and one I'm very much considering adding to my bag.

They look good Ryan, thanks for the preview. Interested in how it plays tomorrow. Is the face as closed as it looks early on in the video? It looks to be a couple of degrees at the very least.

Nice, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this club. I'm loving the head covers on the black clubs.

Hawk, nice looking club, and looking forward to your thoughts and experiences. Plus, Im jealous.

• Staff
Hawk that looks great man and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Do you notice the white grooves at address at all? Its one of the many things that bugged me about the Rescue 11 was how the grooves looked at address.

Overall I think this club looks amazing and one I'm very much considering adding to my bag.

I just took a look at that and it didn't seem to bother me. They sort of blended in I guess? It's a bit longer than the Rescue, so maybe they are a little harder to see.

They look good Ryan, thanks for the preview. Interested in how it plays tomorrow. Is the face as closed as it looks early on in the video? It looks to be a couple of degrees at the very least.

I don't think it's as closed at it appears. It's tough to take pics and video from good angles when you're working solo hehe. I'm excited about gaming it tomorrow. The first shot I take will be perfect for it. I just wish there was a range! I'll be dropping balls and taking shots as often as I can.

Watched the video again. It is definitely not close to being as closed at it appears.

Thanks for the pics and video Hawk, looking forward to what you think about this one.

I just took a look at that and it didn't seem to bother me. They sort of blended in I guess? It's a bit longer than the Rescue, so maybe they are a little harder to see.

I don't think it's as closed at it appears. It's tough to take pics and video from good angles when you're working solo hehe. I'm excited about gaming it tomorrow. The first shot I take will be perfect for it. I just wish there was a range! I'll be dropping balls and taking shots as often as I can.

Thanks Hawk, looking forward to your thoughts on it after you hit it. I'm not sure I'll ever add another 5 wood to the bag, but this club might find its way in.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on this one Hawk

Looking forward to what you have to say Hawk! This whole line seems awesome!

Watched the video again. It is definitely not close to being as closed at it appears.

Thanks Hawk, I would have been much less likely to try this one out had it been as closed as the video makes it appear.

If the 5 wood is as good as my first range session with the CG Black driver, wow, I may need to start saving up!

Very nice looking club. Have fun with it, I'll definitely be reading your review.

I am seriously looking forward to this review!

Really want to know how the 16* Black fairway compares to the FL 17*. Am interested to know if the draw bias weighting works, and does the shaft feel more flexible than the FL series.

Great video Hawk, so it feels a lot lighter than the FL?

Really want to know how the 16* Black fairway compares to the FL 17*. Am interested to know if the draw bias weighting works, and does the shaft feel more flexible than the FL series.

I'm not a big fader or slicer of the ball, but I'll keep an eye on the draw bias. As for the flex, the best way I can describe it is different. The shaft in the FL - the 43 - is very stiff at the but end and very flexible at the tip. This is a bit more balanced of a profile.

Great video Hawk, so it feels a lot lighter than the FL?

I wouldn't say 'a lot' lighter, but it seemed more noticeable at first. My experience has always been that the light feeling tends to disappear after a very short time.

Hawk,
Also I wanted to know if you noticed the height of your 16* Black fairway shots are lower or about the same as the FL 17* ? Thanks !

Very cool Hawk, thanks for your initial thoughts and the pics and video. The whole Cleveland Black line has me intrigued. I can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on this club.

Great looking club Hawk!! Looking forward to your impressions. Black line is snazzy...no doubt!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Hawk,
Also I wanted to know if you noticed the height of your 16* Black fairway shots are lower or about the same as the FL 17* ? Thanks !

I wish I could be of a little more help, but I'm actually testing the 5w. I did test the FL 5W, so I can compare those two for you if that helps! I should be able to get you some info on that within the next day or so.

Great looking club Hawk!! Looking forward to your impressions. Black line is snazzy...no doubt!

Tappin' from my iPad!

They really look nice in person. I love the blacked out face and the shaft is real nice.

Back