Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

I wanted to add something about wilsons customer service. I sent them an email to check if my normal method of cleaning using soapy water and a toothbrush would harm the irons coating. They responded to the email within an hour saying it would be fine. That's what I call good customer service.

Pulled the trigger. Just ordered a set (4-GW) from Edwin Watts online for $399 (steel) with a coupon code from here. According to my fitting, I should be all good with the standard length and lie of these babies....and I splurged for 2nd day shipping. Should be here soon! Can't wait to add my comments, however late they may be!

Pulled the trigger. Just ordered a set (4-GW) from Edwin Watts online for $399 (steel) with a coupon code from here. According to my fitting, I should be all good with the standard length and lie of these babies....and I splurged for 2nd day shipping. Should be here soon! Can't wait to add my comments, however late they may be!

Great buy nndosi. I think you are going to really like these. I've been tempted lately to get these on the course again to see them against the Nike's. I have to make that happen

Congrats nndosi, waiting to hear how these babies work for you. Sure wish local stores would carry them on the floor to test. I would think that Wilson would be pushing by any means to make this happen.

Thanks guys. Can't wait for these to arrive, and then hope for this unusually warm weather to continue so I can get some on course time with them. Its my first iron set purchase since I got my beginners set when I started golfing this spring. If all else fails, I'll have to hit them at a heated range.

Thanks guys. Can't wait for these to arrive, and then hope for this unusually warm weather to continue so I can get some on course time with them. Its my first iron set purchase since I got my beginners set when I started golfing this spring. If all else fails, I'll have to hit them at a heated range.

Well I think you're going to love them, they are a great set of irons.

Irons are shipping today, so should have them in hand Wednesday or Thursday. Man, I can't wait!!!

Just got them in tonight! Merry early Christmas to me! With a sunny day tomorrow...they will be on the course! I know I should probably have a range session with them first, but I'm too excited not to just try them out in play. Will try to make a couple hole of the day videos.

Pics coming up shortly.

Being the photographer that you are I'm surprised that you have not provided unboxing photo's. Have a great time with them on the course.

Being the photographer that you are I'm surprised that you have not provided unboxing photo's. Have a great time with them on the course.

Hold on, Shark...here they are!

(Had some trouble embedding the youtube vids. Any help available?)

http://youtu.be/04IyFqrjX_A
http://youtu.be/NANEXhachwI

6433848455_38ae1b03e4_z.jpg

The Beauts in the box!

6433849609_d48713ecfb_z.jpg

A bit of low light, but still, these just pop!

6433852413_ab7a5b968b_z.jpg

The entire set!

6433853807_fdfe7a7ff2_z.jpg

The bag before....

6433855041_2731485d64_z.jpg

...and after!!!!

Can't wait for them on the course tomorrow!

Awesome! I still love my Di11's. I am gettting a Fybrid 3W, 19.5 and 3H to go along with my set. :banana:

Those pics look great!

To embed the youtube videos - go to the page where the video lives, copy the URL, paste into the video tags on THP.

Had my first day on the course...first time hitting these ever. And? I REALLY need to get used to the added length. It's exactly what the fitting ordered, but I guess I got used to playing with shorter clubs, because I was hitting the ball VERY fat with these. But, the saving grace was that when I did hit a good shot, the ball just jumped off of the face and FLEW. Off center hits were forgiven to a point (some distance loss, but again, I need to get used to these) and these clubs are almost a full club longer than the set I used previously. I need to have a range session so that I can dial these in.

Great un-boxing photo's looking real sharp in your bag. A couple of range session's will probably be in order to get comfy with your new clubs.
after playing with the ram's that sounded like they were not right for you. Good Luck adjusting and keep us up to date on your progress. Like Hawk said with posting your Video look at the second window in from the right where font and size are and click on the symbol that looks like film and paste the url address from you tube there. Enjoy your new Irons!

Had a range session with these yesterday, devoting a large bucket to these irons, and here are some of the results, through the bag:

The longer irons (4/5) were definitely tougher to get the hang of. Just felt like I was either catching it a fraction thin, or a fraction heavy. Still, the sound on a flushed shot is addicting...a nice thwack that feels, like other testers before have said, like hitting almost nothing. I hit one 4 iron shot completely flush out of ten, and wow, did it go! It wasn't a very high ball flight for me, but it went...and went...and went. It carried around 200 and rolled out to 230. I was impressed. I took the 5 iron and hit more solidly with it (about 5/10 good shots) and was getting some consistent carry and great distance. The accuracy is my downfall with the longer irons, as I have a tendency to hit a blocked pull to try and prevent a slice. But that is not the irons' fault, it is my own fault at setup. when I adjusted my target and swung smoothly down the target line, these guys flew, and flew straight. I can see the 4 iron becoming a fairway finder off of the tee when I'm not having a great day with my driver...it's definitely got enough distance to play a short par 4 or to layup on a par 5.

The mid irons (6/7) were easier to hit than the long ones, and I was catching the ball decently off of the face. My miss is on the toe of the club because of an outside in swing path (that I'm trying to correct), and hits off of the toe would stay straight, which is nice. I found these to have a significant distance loss when hit on the toe, but then again, I could be catching the ball too low or high on the face due to my getting used to the added length. The 6 and 7 irons strayed from their target line less than the 4 and 5, and for how much some people would think that you couldn't work these, I was getting my consistent fade (a bit less of a slice with these than the Rams). These clubs are definitely long when you flush them, and I needed to keep reminding myself that a smooth swing is rewarded the most.

The club that shine for me right now are the scoring irons and wedges (8-GW). The turf interaction is a thing of beauty for a G.I. iron, and I felt like if I were to pick up a blade iron, it would be able to cut through the turf with equal ease as these. They can really sling turf if you are a digger of the ball (like I am). The 8 and 9 irons, when I got shots dialed in, would launch high, and go deep. There was probably a wind that was 4-5 mph during my range session, and these never ballooned for me, just a high, piercing ball flight that would land pretty soft. I can see my scores dropping with these clubs - the accuracy I was getting with them was much better than my old Rams. On a flushed ball, my 8 iron would go around 155-160, 9 iron 145-150, PW 135-140, and GW 120-130. These clubs are about a full club longer than my Rams, and will have to get used to this, or keep flying greens. I would now, on a consistent shot, be able to pull a 9 iron on an approach shot where I would regularly be pulling an 8. Or a GW when I would normally pull a PW. I love these short irons. In a chipping session on the same day, I took the 9 iron and GW to the chipping green and practiced some bump and run shots...and once used to the rollout that these get, I could cozy them up there real nice with these short irons.

All in all, I'm still in the honeymoon phase with these irons, and look forward to another range session to dial these in even more. Might even be able to get out today, who knows?

Yesterday I took these out on the course again. Much better ball striking from me in the second round with these, especially after just one range session. I shot an 83 yesterday, and these irons bailed me out when my driver was taking a vacation...which was the entire round. Twice I took the 4 iron and hit a nice medium-flighted fade about 210 yards into the center of the fairways on par 4s, which is REALLY helpful...the length of these, when hit well, are ridiculous for an iron...I still can't believe that I'm hitting these a club longer...it really takes some getting used to! And I am not afraid of taking a bit of turf on my short iron shots...these things cut through turf so easily and very well. I need to keep my swing from getting too steep, as sometimes it can facilitate a slice for me, but when making a smooth swing...watch out. The steel shafts are wonderful for me, they don't balloon, and they give me plenty of feedback when I make a poor swing...no stinging in the hands, just a bit of a thwack that you feel, like a nudge, saying "you hit it on the toe". These are definitely improving my iron game.

Yesterday I took these out on the course again. Much better ball striking from me in the second round with these, especially after just one range session. I shot an 83 yesterday, and these irons bailed me out when my driver was taking a vacation...which was the entire round. Twice I took the 4 iron and hit a nice medium-flighted fade about 210 yards into the center of the fairways on par 4s, which is REALLY helpful...the length of these, when hit well, are ridiculous for an iron...I still can't believe that I'm hitting these a club longer...it really takes some getting used to! And I am not afraid of taking a bit of turf on my short iron shots...these things cut through turf so easily and very well. I need to keep my swing from getting too steep, as sometimes it can facilitate a slice for me, but when making a smooth swing...watch out. The steel shafts are wonderful for me, they don't balloon, and they give me plenty of feedback when I make a poor swing...no stinging in the hands, just a bit of a thwack that you feel, like a nudge, saying "you hit it on the toe". These are definitely improving my iron game.

Great update man, these really are silly long, and give you a nice high penetrating ball flight. There really is something to standing at the 150 yard marker and pulling an 8 instead of a 7 or a 7 instead of a 6.
An 83 is a very good score man, great stuff.

Great update man, these really are silly long, and give you a nice high penetrating ball flight. There really is something to standing at the 150 yard marker and pulling an 8 instead of a 7 or a 7 instead of a 6.
An 83 is a very good score man, great stuff.

Thanks CB! I also love the 4-iron for punch shots...videoed one hole from yesterday's round and it's in the Hole of the Day thread. The 4 iron did me well out of the trees...

I love hearing about more people getting these irons. I just wish they were more widely available so people could see and hit them. I wish it wasn't 20 degrees here so I could go hit them now...

I nearly didn't get a 4 iron in favour of a GW but I'm glad I did because I'm using it more than my 3 hybrid, especially for those punch shots back onto the fairway (which I'm having to do a lot of lately with my driver not behaving.)

I love hearing about more people getting these irons. I just wish they were more widely available so people could see and hit them. I wish it wasn't 20 degrees here so I could go hit them now...

If the weather doesn't turn, I'll be hitting them tomorrow in another round...perhaps an irons only round is in order, if I can't get my damn driver going. Hit the range today with these and reaffirmed my love for the scoring irons. They are SO easy to hit when swung smoothly, and they go so far.

I got them sight unseen, but had a length/lie fitting for general irons at my local Golfsmith, then pulled the trigger because I could get them for a nice deal. I was nervous at first, but I have to say that I made a good choice. My handicap is dropping for sure next season when I get real comfy with these.

Nndosi I love that you have brought some life back to this thread. These irons deserve to be seen by more people. Great job

Nndosi I love that you have brought some life back to this thread. These irons deserve to be seen by more people. Great job

Thanks, CL! I hope I can add to all the great reviews that have already been written here. These irons are REALLY good and are loads cheaper than the other 2011 OEM irons out there.

Thanks, CL! I hope I can add to all the great reviews that have already been written here. These irons are REALLY good and are loads cheaper than the other 2011 OEM irons out there.

The bolded is a great combination lol

Back