Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

I feel you really need a good tempo to hit these irons pure, maybe that's true with all irons, but I seem to notice it more with these than my last set. My swing is generally inconsistent, but when struck pure these are long and not too high and stop on a dime. Mine have the fat shafts so I don't know how difficult it would be to have them re-shafted.

I feel you really need a good tempo to hit these irons pure, maybe that's true with all irons, but I seem to notice it more with these than my last set. My swing is generally inconsistent, but when struck pure these are long and not too high and stop on a dime. Mine have the fat shafts so I don't know how difficult it would be to have them re-shafted.

I agree that tempo is key with these sticks. When I make a full backswing and a smooth transition, my ball flight is high and straight. But when I get short and quick with my swing, I end up playing army golf. To paraphrase Shakespeare, the fault is not in our clubs, but in ourselves.

I just bought a set of these online after reading this thread and feel I've made a huge error. My set comes with a SW but doesn't come with a GW and I now have found that di11 GWs are hard to come by. Any advice or suggestions?

I just bought a set of these online after reading this thread and feel I've made a huge error. My set comes with a SW but doesn't come with a GW and I now have found that di11 GWs are hard to come by. Any advice or suggestions?

Were you able to try them out first?
Did you order them from Wilson?
I have not seen a place sell them through SW and skip the GW. Last I checked, there were online stores that had the GW. Try authorized retailers like Wilson directly, TGW, etc.

All the sets for sale that I've come across online are 4-PW. There were some sets on ebay that have 4-PW,GW.
TGW has a listing on ebay just for the Gap wedge. They have 10 available at under $40.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Staf...teel-Shaft-Wedge-Flex-Right-Han-/380841307159

I bought used set from ebaay in the UK to fit my limited budget. It seems that the gap wedge is pretty rare over here.:arrogant: Not sure how to proceed. Unfortunately the link posted by Moosejaa says no postage to the UK. Thank you anyway.

I bought used set from ebaay in the UK to fit my limited budget. It seems that the gap wedge is pretty rare over here.:arrogant: Not sure how to proceed.

My set was just 4-9 and I ordered the TW9 wedges that I've been happy with if you want to stick with all Wilson Staff.
Not sure of their availability in the UK though.

TGW.com, where I bought my set, sells the GW without the fat shaft. But I'm not sure about the shipping costs to the UK. I do see several sets listed on ebay.co.uk that come complete with the GW, and complete sets are also available through americangolf.co.uk. Might you be able to return the set you bought and buy a complete set elsewhere?

The gap wedge is my favorite club in the whole set.

The gap wedge is my favorite club in the whole set.

Looking at ebay, American Golf, etc, it seems common to sell these sets in the UK with a SW but no GW. Given the lofts on these clubs (which are frankly ridiculous) this is tantamount to selling an iron set without a pitching wedge (or perhaps even without a 9 iron). Such a shame. Back on ebay they go for another chump like me.

Looking at ebay, American Golf, etc, it seems common to sell these sets in the UK with a SW but no GW. Given the lofts on these clubs (which are frankly ridiculous) this is tantamount to selling an iron set without a pitching wedge (or perhaps even without a 9 iron). Such a shame. Back on ebay they go for another chump like me.

That is strange, when I bought my set it came with a gap and not a sand wedge

I put the 4 iron into play for the first time - I don't have a 4-hybrid that I hit higher or longer than this (yet). As my swing has improved, I'm hitting my 19.5* Wilson Staff Fybrid closer to 180-190, and my 5 iron around 165, so a bigger gap requires the 4 iron. When I tee this up, I love the ball flight.

My 4i is almost exclusively used for punch shots, but man does it work awesome for those.

I hit the 4 & 5 iron better than my hybrid most of the time. And they are great for punch shots, probably cause you don't overswing and let the club do the work. As has been said before, tempo with these clubs.

I hit about 100 balls with these earlier today. Adjusting to the new clubs is still a work in progress. In hindsight, I probably should have bought my new set piecemeal: first the woods, then the wedges, then the irons. But so it goes. I'm hitting about 50-60% of my shots solidly with the Di11s: high, penetrating ball flight, with a very slight fade. But I'm having issues with the fats, especially with the short irons. And I'm having a problem I've never had before: Teh Shanks. I'm hoping I just need to get adjusted to the slightly longer shafts on the irons. I'm hitting enough solid shots that the ugly ones aren't bothering me too much. Yet.

I'm still inconsistent with mine, but when struck pure the ball flight is beautiful. I've had issue with fat shots too. I think it's a combination of the longer shafts and trying to sweep/pick the ball because the soles are a little thicker than my last irons. These clubs are great with hitting down and compressing the ball.

Purchased these irons last week, a 5-SW set. Coming from a very cheap set of irons, i am really enjoying using the Di11s. Feel great, and giving me confidence to swing and hit the ball well. Only used for a few range sessions so far, but i am much straighter, much more consistent and hitting further.

I was wondering if anyone in the UK has been able to source a single 4 iron for this set? I've just ordered a gap wedge, but would like a bigger iron at the other end of the scale. I have found a few on eBay US, but none ship to the UK.

Hello again all. I purchased my Di11's mid last year and have enjoyed them greatly over the last 14 months. Handicap has been dropping but seems to have hit a level. I feel like I've outgrown them and I'm stuck at a level I can't get beyond and part of me feels this is because I'm now after a little more control over the ball and shot shaping, as I'm keen to learn how to do it.

This brings me onto my question, yes I know this is a Di11 thread but I want people who've used these clubs opinions, hence I'm asking in here. So the question is what did you upgrade to?

The rest of my Bag is Wilson-Staff and I'm very keen to stick with them (Using D100, Driver, Wood and Hybrid and TW9 Wedges) As such I've been considering the C100 irons. I went and hit a few balls today but the machine was broken so couldn't get any figure or flight paths (I took my Di11 7 Iron in for a direct comparison). Anyone else moved up to the C range?

Thanks all.

Hello again all. I purchased my Di11's mid last year and have enjoyed them greatly over the last 14 months. Handicap has been dropping but seems to have hit a level. I feel like I've outgrown them and I'm stuck at a level I can't get beyond and part of me feels this is because I'm now after a little more control over the ball and shot shaping, as I'm keen to learn how to do it.

This brings me onto my question, yes I know this is a Di11 thread but I want people who've used these clubs opinions, hence I'm asking in here. So the question is what did you upgrade to?

The rest of my Bag is Wilson-Staff and I'm very keen to stick with them (Using D100, Driver, Wood and Hybrid and TW9 Wedges) As such I've been considering the C100 irons. I went and hit a few balls today but the machine was broken so couldn't get any figure or flight paths (I took my Di11 7 Iron in for a direct comparison). Anyone else moved up to the C range?

Thanks all.

I went from the Di11's to the Ci11's and was more than happy with the results!! I got exactly what I was looking for in the upgrade. Alot better feel and easier to shape the ball. Granted, I prefer to hit it straight, but it definitely is easier. Also, another thing that I received was much more expected yardage hits. With the Di11's, I would sometimes get a flyer that flew well past the intended yardage.

I think you will be more than happy upgrading to the C series.

Hi, I bought a set like these on ebay (TT uniflex, normal .370 tip diameter). Any thoughts or data on these shafts? They measure 0.5 inch shorter than the standard (wide tip) specs (e.g. 5i at 38 inch). The PW is 35.5 which is actually shorter than my Wilson FG 48 wedge (I got the PW bent from 43 to 44, and the 9i bent from 39 to 40) to have a constant 4 degree gapping.

Back