Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
As many of our readers know, Wilson Staff and THP sent out 4 sets of irons to active forum members to work on a long term review. As the sets arrive, this will be the thread for those testers to update their thoughts and pictures and answer any questions that everybody might have.

Came home to a great site. Multiple boxes sitting outside. I will have some pics up in a few minutes. In hand these are some beautiful looking clubs. Thanks THP & WS!!

Who Delivered them CL? Fedex of UPS so I know who to harrass

Great to hear!

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

Very excited to hear the results from the testers.

Fedex. And of course my camera is out of juice because my wife used it last night. I did get some pictures but no video. I'm going to get to the range with the little light left so I can hit these and give a quick first impression tonight. These look very nice in my black Ogio bag. I am not sure that these have been fit to my specs though. They are a bit longer then my G15's but I will have to get my club dude to measure everything. I'm off to hit some balls.

Awesome CL. I called the house and no Di11's for me just yet. Look forward to your first impressions.

Awesome stuff CL I am very jealous. No Di11's got shipped to work today so next week if I am lucky. Damn you Canadian Customs.

I drove after the fedex guy when he was leaving my street to make sure he hadn't forgotten a delivery, but no Di11's today for me either

Well CL seems to be the lucky duck of the day.

I can't wait to read the reviews on these bad boys

I drove after the fedex guy when he was leaving my street to make sure he hadn't forgotten a delivery, but no Di11's today for me either

That sir, is what we call dedication! :clapp:

Looking forward to the pics CL.

Here are some bad pics. Sorry but it was a hectic time when I was trying to do this. My son's were going crazy with the box to the Clicgear

0221280x768c.jpg

0181280x768.jpg

0211280x768.jpg

0171280x768.jpg

0151280x768.jpg

0131280x768.jpg

good looking irons CL. I look forward to reading your reviews on them

Good looking is right, I really like the looks of these and the stepless shafts are great looking too. Did you go and hit them CL? I'm really looking forward to getting these out to the range.

Can we get a good topline picture.

From all the pics I have been getting my fix with online the topline looks surpisingly thin.

First Impressions:

Well first impressions were very nice. Opening the box they are a nice looking GI club. Some people will consider anything with graphics in the back as taboo but I am not one of those people. The graphics look pretty nice to me and the black is sweet. Matches my bag perfectly. Pulled all the plastic off the clubs and stuck the 7 iron up against my old 7 iron and this club was longer. Not sure if I ordered wrong or not but I am going to have my club guy measure everything. If the length is not right it will bother me and these just seem longer to me.

Threw the old clubs out of the bag and took off for the range. By the time I got there it was dark(that is the excuse I'm going with). The lights were on but where I was hitting it was pretty dark so I am going to say that was the biggest problem. Took my old 7 iron out to see what kind of swing I had going. Hit it pretty good and was confident taking my new 7 iron out. Once again just stepping up to the ball I felt like the shaft was very long. At most it is a 1/2" difference but it just seems way longer. Take a smooth back swing and let her rip. Chunked the first one and really jarred my wrist. 5 swings later and man I could not hit anything. Started getting nervous so I took my SW out and hit some 9 to 3 shots to get my turn a little smoother. That seemed to help.

Grabbed the PW and hit some beautiful 1/2 shots with it. I like the way these clubs frame the ball. Size wise they seem much smaller then my older clubs. Took some swings with the 4 iron and really liked it. You can see the cavity with the longer irons and I like that. It gives me confidence that I can easily hit the ball. I was getting a nice mid ball flight and the balls were taking off like rockets. I was at least a club longer with these but that was to be expected due to loft differences. I hit a few balls with all of the clubs and enjoyed hitting them. Lets face it who doesn't love hitting new clubs for the first time. Even if it is a subpar range session it is still awesome hitting clubs for the first time

Pro's: Love the way they look in my bag(Vain but it does count to me)
Ball felt like it really flew off the face of these

Cons: Don't like the shaft. It has been a long time since I've played a Uniflex and it showed. My tempo needs to really be on for me to consistently hit the Uniflex well. I didn't have a good tempo tonight and so I struggled a little. When I made a smooth swing the shafts performed very well. Ball got up quick and held it's line perfect. When I tried to go after the ball it was a mess. My swing thought needs to be smooth with these. It will take a little time but I should be able to adjust pretty easily as I had Uniflex in my X-14's for years.

All in all a decent range session. More good shots then bad. I'm playing 18 tomorrow so I will be able to get some good course time with these.

I'll take a topline pic now. Coolbreeze I was surprised at the thickness(or lack thereof) of the topline for these. As I said they don't frame the ball like a GI club to me. My G15's look a lot bigger.

Great update CL. When I looked at the length specs of these online they were longer in length than normal so adjusting to the length will be a must.

0271280x768.jpg

0261280x768.jpg

0251280x768r.jpg

0241280x768.jpg

0231280x768.jpg

Great update CL. When I looked at the length specs of these online they were longer in length than normal so adjusting to the length will be a must.

This is a great point. While they may appear to not be fit for you, keep in mind that there will be an adjustment period to the length. However I promise if you can adjust, you will love it.

And I should also point out to CL, I felt the exact same way about uniflex when I first hit them. Slowing tempo has been the best thing that has EVER happened to my game and this might help you out a ton.

I am so jonsing now

Oh I think it will to JB. I am not blaming the shafts here. I am blaming my poor swing. I am pretty confident by the back nine tomorrow that I will be hitting these well. I guess we will see. And as I said when I felt my self slow down and not try and kill it I was getting very nice shots.

Back