Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Glad to hear it, Breeze. Sounds like the work is paying off for you :)
Thanks Hawk, I haven't been able to put in that much prep lately because of work, but the time I have had has been spent on the short game, and I've been hitting a TON of putts in my office, trying to get my stroke down.

I spent about 2 hours at the range today working what I would consider "finese shots"...I hit a ton of 1/2 and 3/4 swing shots with everything from a 7 iron to a 58* lob wedge...I hit low shots, high shots, pitch and run shots....it was all about finese and distance control.

Played 18 holes with 2 seperate balls all the way around after that, the course was still really wet but I got alot of good work in.

Moved to the putting green after the round and rolled the ball for about an hour.

Going to be doing pretty much the same thing tomorrow and then have my first lesson scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

I spent about 2 hours at the range today working what I would consider "finese shots"...I hit a ton of 1/2 and 3/4 swing shots with everything from a 7 iron to a 58* lob wedge...I hit low shots, high shots, pitch and run shots....it was all about finese and distance control.

Played 18 holes with 2 seperate balls all the way around after that, the course was still really wet but I got alot of good work in.

Moved to the putting green after the round and rolled the ball for about an hour.

Going to be doing pretty much the same thing tomorrow and then have my first lesson scheduled for Thursday afternoon.
Great work TBT, thats a ton of work to do in one day. Can't wait to hear how your first lesson goes.

Great work TBT, thats a ton of work to do in one day. Can't wait to hear how your first lesson goes.

Thanks CB, I am very excited about it...this guy is supposed to be really good, My GF got me a series of 5 one hour lessons for Christmas....it will be interesting to see how it goes...I have been playing golf for years but never had a "real lesson"....the pro at my course has watched me hit balls and then given a few tips but that's it.....it should be eye opening I'm sure.

Good luck, Tim!

I'm heading the indoor facility to putt for 90 minutes or so tonight.

Good luck, Tim!

I'm heading the indoor facility to putt for 90 minutes or so tonight.
Sounds like some good work Hawk, do you have to pay to use the putting green?

Sounds like some good work Hawk, do you have to pay to use the putting green?

Nope! I give those guys enough money that they don't seem to mind.

Im heading out today in the early afternoon to work more on my putting and more specifically continue to work to find a shape that fits me. Today I have 3 models of plumbers neck putters (2 Never Compromise & 1 Cleveland Classic) that I am going to be using on the practice green. The goal is to spend as much time as I can on 5, 8 and 12 feet and get comfortable with one shape and then use it from here on out.

Im heading out today in the early afternoon to work more on my putting and more specifically continue to work to find a shape that fits me. Today I have 3 models of plumbers neck putters (2 Never Compromise & 1 Cleveland Classic) that I am going to be using on the practice green. The goal is to spend as much time as I can on 5, 8 and 12 feet and get comfortable with one shape and then use it from here on out.
Great idea JB, thats similar to what I did yesterday and I found a winner. Looking forward to finding out what putter fits you the best.

And it is official!!!!

I found my putter. I simply missed one from the Never Compromise line and now all I need is to make sure that NC will be part of the Morgan Cup. Although the shape may be able to be done with a Classic as well. The Culebra is absolutely perfect for me!

Glad to hear it, JB!

Nice work JB!

I tried to get 18 in last monday but failed. However, I took what happened from the lsat round and just completely reversed it. The last time I remember being that "on" with my driver was the last outing. I was just killing the ball. I was also making really good contact. Just a few brain farts is what cost me my scores. I don't recall the last time ever having two birdies in 9 holes before either. I kinda feel like this is that barrier maybe? I've been sitting the same for awhile. Either way, another 18 set up for friday again with my dad. We ended up even in match play through 14.

I think I've found my putting stroke too.

Nice work JB, the Culebra is one from the Connoisseur line isn't it? That thing is a gorgeous putter, hopefully NC is available to you guys.

And it is official!!!!

I found my putter. I simply missed one from the Never Compromise line and now all I need is to make sure that NC will be part of the Morgan Cup. Although the shape may be able to be done with a Classic as well. The Culebra is absolutely perfect for me!

I have always liked the looks of that style JB. I find the neck to be very intersting. Very little offset at all.

I found another issue with my swing. I keep diving into the ball and I am not keeping my spine angle/my hips are coming in.

So, my 3 main areas are:

*too long of a back swing
*head pushing out of the box
*hips coming in and changing spine angle

The great thing about this is that I think all of them can mainly be attributed to coming back too far in my back swing. I don't know how John Daly does it.

Well it looks like Saturday is going to be another mid-40's day and sunny here in Indiana so I should get out for another round. Up until then it is supposed to rain each day, and the snow on the ground now will probably melt, so it will be another mushy one, but so far that has not been much of an issue.

Since MC2 is at two courses I've never played I decided that this weekend (thur & fri for me) I will be playing one course that I've never seen before and another that I've played once and got my arse handed to me. I don't play the same course everytime out but I do have 2-3 that I bounce between. Hopefully by bringing in a new course it will help me identify trouble or at least where I can miss at.

Also I'll be taking a lesson on Thursday, been having some issues with hitting shots too high lately and its costing me strokes. Hopefully it'll be an easy fix, never has that issue before so I'm a tad confused on what is causing it.

--
tapatalk

Spent just short of an hour-and-a-half putting tonight and then hit balls for 45 minutes on the sim. Had a productive time and I'm really glad I went.

Full Swings

I wasn't even going to do this as I have been feeling like I'm wasting money hitting balls with lessons starting so soon. Nonetheless, I've been working on a few things and felt like I was hitting the ball as well as I have in a while. Seeing nice distances and swing speed with the driver, though spin is still an issue for me. Best part was that my side-spin was almost non-existent.

I've been doing some comparisons between a lighter shafted GI iron set and my heavier shafted cavity backs. As expected, the distance is different on well struck shots, but the average is actually much closer than I expected.

Putting

I've talked a little about this putting green, but it really is just great for being indoors. It's huge and about as close to the real thing as I've seen. I think it's a little slow (think muni speed), but I can take putts up to 45 feet or so. Tonight I worked on three things. 6 footers, 10-12 footers, and lags (45ft).

I'm really happy where I'm at with the 6 and 10-12 footers. I obviously saw the number I dropped go down at 10-12 feet, but I'm seeing some real improvement that makes me happy. I struggled with speed on my lag putts at first, but I was getting them close as time went on. Still some work to do there. In all, I think this putting practice is going to have a big effect on my scores.

Great update Hawk, there is nothing better to work on than putting, and I know your swing has come a long way.

Spent about an hour in the range today and hit nothing but hybrids...moved em right and left..high and low...the moved to the putting green and hit 15 yard pitches for a half hour, then putting for 30 minutes, then played 18 holes. Tomorrow I have my first lesson.

Great stuff TBT! You are killing it with the practice as of late. Best of luck in the lesson and looking forward to hearing what the pro has you focused on.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Last night I rolled 200 putts with my new putter shape. All of the putts were within 12 feet and as close as 4 feet.

Last night I rolled 200 putts with my new putter shape. All of the putts were within 12 feet and as close as 4 feet.

Nice work. does your putting mat let you practice left to right, right to left, up and down hill putts?

I have been working with Tadashi on my swing as his swing principle is almost exactly the same as my old instructor in Georgia. I sent him videos and he straightened a glaring problem out for me. I got some swings in at the apartment and it felt so good. I feel like I was when I was hitting the ball the best. Now I just need to set this in and make it become automatic where I don't have to think about it.

I want to prepare today. I like playing golf to prepare so I want to step up my golf output over the Winter.

I want to prepare today. I like playing golf to prepare so I want to step up my golf output over the Winter.

Me too.....I hear Ash Vegas is nice in January and February?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Back