Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

LOL, looks like they have you big man. I second that on Blind9, they are great folks and will work a THPer a great deal if you just let them know who you are. I will be buying mine through a friend though.

I think what it really comes down to is finding a shaft that works for your swing. I've been ok with the uniflex shafts in my 5 or 6 year old Callaway irons, but all this forum testing and reading has me convinced I'm going to think long and hard at graphite shafts or higher quality steel. And in the CG Black, this is the best shaft I've ever swung.

Hey guys - I know this question has been answered and I've read every post in the thread - but I was wondering if you'd humor me again.

For those of you that have gotten on a launch monitor or know your clubhead speed already - are any of you regularly in the 102+ mph range? How's this working for you if you are? How's your tempo relate to that success or lack of success?

I was over in a very nice part of NJ yesterday, I know thats hard to understand, that had a Golf Galaxy close to the office so I stopped in to see if they had any Black offerings in maybe something other then a senior flex. Nope. I was quite surprised to find this GG had zero Black drivers or FW's. Found that to be odd.

Hawk, everytime I jump on a monitor I am in the 97-105 range. When I first get on I will be in the 97-100 range. Fully warmed up I will be 100-105 but generally I will be 100-103 with just a few swings being higher or lower. My lessons start soon and I will be asking him to put me on a monitor with this driver

This driver is a very big hit or miss with me. Tempo is everything with this driver. Last time out that is all that I concentrated on and I had some good success. Try and go at it and this thing goes right and keeps going right. For me anyway

I was over in a very nice part of NJ yesterday, I know thats hard to understand, that had a Golf Galaxy close to the office so I stopped in to see if they had any Black offerings in maybe something other then a senior flex. Nope. I was quite surprised to find this GG had zero Black drivers or FW's. Found that to be odd.

The Edwin Watts in Macon has none in stock either, I was in there looking earlier this week. Fortunately I was able to game one for a round at Ole Gray and KellyBo's course yesterday. I really like it a ton.

You must have been in north Jersey, then...

Back on topic, the GG as well as the Golfsmith nearest me doesn't have ANY Black stock whatsoever...very odd.

Hey guys - I know this question has been answered and I've read every post in the thread - but I was wondering if you'd humor me again.

For those of you that have gotten on a launch monitor or know your clubhead speed already - are any of you regularly in the 102+ mph range? How's this working for you if you are? How's your tempo relate to that success or lack of success?

Hawk. My swing speed, based off Bridgestone ball fitting monitors, is usually 100-102. I do not think I have really changed the tempo of my swing since getting the CG Black. The only thing that has changed is on those few holes where you need a long drive, I do not feel like I have to really get after it like I did with my tour burner. I know if I put my normal swing on it I will be anywhere from 225yds to 260yds, depending on hole setup and rollout.

Tappin' on my Blackberry

Hawk, everytime I jump on a monitor I am in the 97-105 range. When I first get on I will be in the 97-100 range. Fully warmed up I will be 100-105 but generally I will be 100-103 with just a few swings being higher or lower. My lessons start soon and I will be asking him to put me on a monitor with this driver

This driver is a very big hit or miss with me. Tempo is everything with this driver. Last time out that is all that I concentrated on and I had some good success. Try and go at it and this thing goes right and keeps going right. For me anyway

That is exactly what I observed yesterday, but the flex was a regular and I had to smooth it with what felt to be a slower swing than I wished, I plan to try the stiff flex and put one in the bag, this driver is the truth.

Id sure love to take some swings with a 9.5* stiff shaft Black driver but its becoming more and more apparent this driver is not for the masses or the retail outlets dont think its for the masses and wont sell. It is odd.

Why do I get the feeling that this driver is targeted at a Senior golfer? I know that it probably isn't but the fact that Stiff flexes are hardly in existence at retailers and the fact that a 100 mph golf swing, with a bit of aggression through the impact zone, causes the high and rights makes me very nervous about this driver.

The best thing about this thread is that I believe it's full of honesty. I appreciate that.

Why do I get the feeling that this driver is targeted at a Senior golfer? I know that it probably isn't but the fact that Stiff flexes are hardly in existence at retailers and the fact that a 100 mph golf swing, with a bit of aggression through the impact zone, causes the high and rights makes me very nervous about this driver.

The best thing about this thread is that I believe it's full of honesty. I appreciate that.

I think what the retail outlets choose to stock tells a lot of this story. Dicks - nothing. Golf Galaxy - little to nothing. And Im sure its a very good driver too but based on these things it seems retail shops are convinced of other things or misled.

Of course, my local Dick's told me I needed a stiff flex shaft in my driver because I was a 'younger guy'. My experience has been most of those guys know squat about equipment. Like everything, it's a fitting thing rather than an age thing. c0ncept's experiences are pretty strong evidence of that.

Of course, my local Dick's told me I needed a stiff flex shaft in my driver because I was a 'younger guy'. My experience has been most of those guys know squat about equipment. Like everything, it's a fitting thing rather than an age thing. c0ncept's experiences are pretty strong evidence of that.

That's totally different from not having anything in Stiff flex at all in your inventory though dude.

That's totally different from not having anything in Stiff flex at all in your inventory though dude.

What TC said. Were not discussing fittings and the value and importance of it. Its about the available inventory or lack there of.

No doubt. I do think the marketing I've seen is placing these towards the senior golfer or those that have lost distance more than towards other people. They aren't even carrying them at the Dick's here. They are still selling Big Bertha irons, CG7's, and Burner 1's though.

You're dead on dude. Heck the sticker on the face says "be long again" well that's fine but what about the segment of younger folks that don't have high swing speeds to begin with. This driver can change the game for them, if they could get it in hand.

I'm not bashing at all but like I said a few pages back I wish there were more of these on shelves. I don't like seeing a great product pigeon-holed to a niche.

TC I appreciate the comments. I do think this thread has been very honest by everyone. I think I'm done trying to crush this beast. The remainder of my testing will be all about keeping myself in tempo and seeing the results. Hopefully my accuracy will be better with the smoother swing.

I would agree these are not as wide spread as I thought. I am looking for new driver and wanted to give this one a shot. My local Edwin Watts did not stock any and ordered one from Florida foe me try. It was very light but very whippy for my swing. I ended up demoing a Razar Hawk and will testing it out over next couple weeks. I hit it very good on simulator so we will see on the course. Back to the Cleveland...i went to PGA SS and they has just a few as well but did have stiff flex. Tried it out and had same results wide right. They put me in same Razar Hawk with good results. I would have thought the Cleveland would have been an awesome club given they hype. It just did not work for me.

TapAhoy!

Is the CG Black for everybody? No, it certainly isn't, however I think there are a lots of weekend warriors this club would be perfect for - far more than not. Is it only for senior golfers? That's absurd.

The question is, does the shaft work for your swing? If you are droppin' 270+ on a regular basis, I wouldn't think so. Quick tempo, probably not. Big move in your forward swing, maybe less so, but still possible.

The lightness and (what I consider) unique flex characteristics of the CG Black's Miyazaki stiff shaft works very well for the groved, smooth tempo swing I've always aspired to; I'm no where near senior, just a struggling golfer. As my fitness gets better and my flexibility improves, I could see getting to the point where I regularly tap out the shaft - I've already proven to myself that I can now, but only when I really go after it which at this time also throws off my tempo and my results are also all over the place. If I develop a repeatable swing taking me in the 105mph range, I'll get fitted for a different shaft. I need to go back, but I'm probably sniffing right around that 100 mark.

So if you go somewhere to test, work on a smooth tempo then work your way up to your redline. I honestly feel this is a great club and one worth spending a few moments understanding if it fits you.

TC I appreciate the comments. I do think this thread has been very honest by everyone. I think I'm done trying to crush this beast. The remainder of my testing will be all about keeping myself in tempo and seeing the results. Hopefully my accuracy will be better with the smoother swing.

Ditto...Definitely need to swing within yourself with this club.

I went out today in some amazing conditions and had mixed results but I know it was 110% me since everything in my swing with every club was just off. I really do love the fact that if I am not hitting the ball well I can "slow down" and take a nice easy swing but still get enough distance to give me a shot at GIRs. Nothing like knowing you are going to hit longer than your old driver without really feeling like you are swinging out of your shoes.

Test Date: 12/30/11
Testing Club: Cleveland Black Driver 10.5* with C Kua 39S shaft
My Prior Club: Taylormade Tour Burner 10.5*, stiff flex
Ball Used: Srixon Z-Star
Environment: Mostly Sunny, 62*,
Right ankle in brace

I got to play 9 this afternoon and the weather was perfect. My short game was off a little today, other wise the scoring would have been better but the CG Driver was good. I hit 4 of 7 fairways today, and 1 was just off. The other two were me, but I recovered well. I had my longest drive thus far on hole 5, which is the no. 1 handicap hole. It is a par 4, 430yds, with a slight dogleg to the right. I drove it dead straight, about 6 feet to the left of the 150 marker:

I played with another single today, and he hit the Cleveland on a few holes, and all he could say was, "I don't know how I will explain this to my wife." He was playing a Callaway Razr, and hit the Cleveland 15 yds past the Callaway on all three holes he hit them both on. It was pretty cool to see.

You must have been in north Jersey, then...

Back on topic, the GG as well as the Golfsmith nearest me doesn't have ANY Black stock whatsoever...very odd.

After my round today I went to the local Golfsmith and I found a few Black drivers in stock. I did not see any with a stiff flex shaft though.

Nice recap chewie! That's a smoked drive on the #1 hdcp hole.

I attempted to play golf again today, not sure what the hell is going on with me at the moment but it is a very ugly ordeal. At times I felt like walking off but I'm not a quitter. I'll post up my thoughts tomorrow when I get to a computer.

--
tapatalk

Nice recap chewie! That's a smoked drive on the #1 hdcp hole.

I attempted to play golf again today, not sure what the hell is going on with me at the moment but it is a very ugly ordeal. At times I felt like walking off but I'm not a quitter. I'll post up my thoughts tomorrow when I get to a computer.

--
tapatalk

My last two rounds were exactly the same my friend. Got out with a customer today on a nine hole course just to get my head straight. Left lot of clubs in the bag and just worked on the basics. A lot of my game seemed to come back, where my putting is at this point is anyones guess...LOL You are a good golfer, you will find your game again. IF not I will just have to get my revenge in May ... muahahahahahaha

Back